Farthest south you have traveled?

I can understand Alaska being the northern-most point for many people, but I would have thought it would be Anchorage, since that's where most cruise ships stop. But why so many of us in Fairbanks? There's really not much to see there...

It's near the main entrance to Denali NP. Easier to fly into Fairbanks and drive south than to drive up from Anchorage.

Also large military bases there (Eielson AFB and Fort Wainwright)

Last edited:
My bad I flew to Lima and crossed the equator on TWA in my mother's uterus.

Key West for the "classic" picture at the buoy at the southern most point in USA

Huh? Hope that was qualified as Florida is not the southernmost state.

Yes, I see it has the word "continental" in front of USA.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it; Porto Alegre is one of my favorite Brazilian cities. Home of the gaúcho, you get some of the world's best BBQ there (churrasco). I'm salivating just thinking about it.

The churrasco joints were very good, yes. And the coffee. I just found the city dingy and run-down. Lorries with soldiers in the back, and a cop every other street corner with a Beretta subgun. The place just had a "Mission Impossible" episode feeling to it.

_B

and a cop every other street corner with a Beretta subgun.

I was in Panama City in January 1963.....every bar seemed to have a resident cop, or two, permanently stationed there.......we talked to a guy with the US Shore Patrol who said that, since they (apparently, I never verified any of this), didn't have the authority to detain American sailors they'd have to point out AWOLs, etc, and the Panamanian cops would drag them in.

The SP, (who may, or may not have been BSing us), said the guy he was teamed with had already (over what period he didn't say), shot two locals rather than run after them.

Roughest place I've ever been.....no idea what it's like nowadays.

Geographically, the farthest south I have traveled is Santiago, followed by Buenos Aires, both multiple times. I first tried goat in BA (and can still recall the restaurant) and had many fine meals in both cities.

The furthest south I have been was a presentation I gave to a Sr. VP Finance in NY, which lasted less than 30 seconds before he got up, threw the overhead projector to the floor, shared a few choice obscenities, and walked out of the room.

The furthest south I have been was a presentation I gave to a Sr. VP Finance in NY, which lasted less than 30 seconds before he got up, threw the overhead projector to the floor, shared a few choice obscenities, and walked out of the room.

That, I would like to have seen......from a safe distance, of course. :LOL:

South: Key West, FL
North: Edinburgh, Scotland (on the ground) and Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (in the air)

However, lots of east/west travel between those 2 latitudes.

Perth, Australia on land. Around the southern coast of Australia by sea.

North? Without looking... Oostende, Belgium would be my guess.

(I did a stopover in Auckland, which now that I check is further south than Perth, but I wouldn't count that... and I was right about Belgium... northern coast).

Last edited:
I can understand Alaska being the northern-most point for many people, but I would have thought it would be Anchorage, since that's where most cruise ships stop. But why so many of us in Fairbanks? There's really not much to see there...

And also back in the day it was a refueling stop for planes going east coast to Japan and SE Asia.

Why Fairbanks?

Took Alaska Railway from Denali to Fairbanks, which was our setting-off point for drive up Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay, from whence we took small plane to Barrow, and adorable local tour of town, including Point Barrow. Recommended!

South Martinique 14.6 N
North Fairbanks AK 64.8 N
but later this year will add Bosted Norway 68.2 N

many of the cruise and tours will have the north end of the land tour at Fairbanks. Your really need to do white water rafting in Denali in early May... quite cool.

many of the cruise and tours will have the north end of the land tour at Fairbanks. Your really need to do white water rafting in Denali in early May... quite cool.

Dodging Grizzlies:confused: No thanks! lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dodging Grizzlies:confused: No thanks! lol

Only saw bears from the relative safety of transportation (trains, boats, and buses). Now we took a ad hock hike (just DW and I) on the Kenai peninsula and saw the biggest bear prints we've ever seen... and without bear spray.

Lots of recent bear sightings here at the forum as well. We're safe as long as we don't take their portfolio advice. :)

Last edited:
Huh? Hope that was qualified as Florida is not the southernmost state.

Yes, I see it has the word "continental" in front of USA.

I stand corrected - Continental USA was key west, however we did go to the big island Hawaii as well - which I believe is the southern most USA point.

It's a minor point--possibly important only to the few of us who appreciate all the US pacific islands--but American Samoa is also the USA, and is further south of Ka Lae than Seattle is north of it.

It's a little tricky as it is US controlled, but not incorporated, and someone born there is not eligible to be a US citizen unless one of their parents is.

Been there too - but just for plane layovers.

Back
Top Bottom