Farthest south you have traveled?

It's a little tricky as it is US controlled, but not incorporated, and someone born there is not eligible to be a US citizen unless one of their parents is.

Been there too - but just for plane layovers.

That's more embarrassing than tricky. While the 14th amendment doesn't apply in unincorporated territories--at least until the modern Supreme Court takes up a case (unfortunately, the administration of the first president from the pacific islands has opposed citizenship for American Samoans, and last year prevailed in the DC Circuit Court)--Congress has granted citizenship to people born in the other inhabited unincorporated territories (Puerto Rico, USVI, Guam, the CNMI) and could do so for American Samoa. It's irrelevant to this discussion; incorporation affects the people in the territories, not the territories themselves; there's no more doubt about American Samoa's status as part of the US than there would be about Puerto Rico's or the USVI's. Besides, the southernmost incorporated territory is Palmyra Atoll--and that's much, much harder to visit than American Samoa!

Popular thread. :)

South: Phuket, Thailand
North: Carcross, Yukon Territories

I tried to eyeball the southern most but it got tricky as Colon, Panama; Cartagena, Colombia; and Phuket all looked really close. There's so many places in the southern hemisphere we just haven't got around going to though.
I'd love to get to the arctic circle in the north. My friends did a road trip from Vancouver a few years ago which I skipped. It was a crazy amount of driving though as they were trying to fit it into a week IIRC.

I tried to eyeball the southern most but it got tricky as Colon, Panama; Cartagena, Colombia; and Phuket all looked really close.

Google tells me these are the latitudes:

Phuket Thailand 7.8900° N
Colon, Panama 9.3572° N
Cartagena, Colombia 10.4000° N

So yes, Phuket is the farthest south apparently.

Someplace is Mexico on a cruise, the tequila was great and it cost my 200 on the ship to cancel my credit card ;)

I had to look at this in greater detail.

South and East - Bridgetown, Barbados 13.1029°N, 59.6296°W
West - Northwest tip of Oahu 21.5661°N, 158.2478°W
North - Two Harbors, Mn 47.0218°N, 91.6733°W

What about up and down?
A couple of people mentioned they have been to the Dead Sea, which is as low as you can go on land. For me it was Death Valley.

In elevation, has anyone climbed a particularly high mountain?

In my younger days I climbed quite a few of the "fourteeners" in Colorado.
About 14,300 feet, or 4,360 meters is as high as I've gone.

I have long wanted to try Mount Whitney (14,505 feet or 4,421 meters) but I doubt I could handle it today. A friend tried it a few years ago and got terribly sick from the unaccustomed altitude and had to turn back before reaching the summit.

South for me would be around Waitomo, about half way down the North Island of New Zealand.

North would be the hills above Oban, Scotland.

I climbed Ecuador's highest peak, Chimborazo (20,564') with a few friends back in 1988. Located directly on the equator, I remember the sun intensity was so strong, combined with the reflection off the snow, that it felt like a microwave on our skin. Needed total sun blockage to minimize burn. Also, we started our summit ascent (from the hut @ 16,000') at midnight so as to return before the snow softened so much as to make walking through it almost impossible. You could go knee deep in slush if you missed that window.

Attachments

• Chimborazo.jpg
    Chimborazo.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Very impressive!
Did you use oxygen?

Thanks braumeister, it was a great climb. No oxygen, although I will say I nursed a headache until we came down to lower elevations. While at the climbing hut, we had coca leaves (obtained in Peru) we used to make tea, and that was a real help to relieve the symptoms of soroche.

That's great. Certainly the best legitimate use of those leaves IMHO. You should be really proud of the accomplishment. There's hardly any air up there!

South Melbourne Australia
North: A bit south of Denali National Park in Alaska.

I was in the Queenstown area, including Te Anau and Milford Sound, which may be further south, in February.

Interesting thing to learn was that the ozone hole was still a problem down there. Actually it might still be a problem in the northern hemisphere too but you don't hear about it like you used to 30-40 years ago.

Basically, the ozone hole went down towards the south pole and then started breaking up into smaller holes, which started floating back northwards.

So you're more prone to get sunburned in NZ. I would assume the same would be true in Australia, at least the southern parts.

I am not as fortunate as others. I have only been to Hawaii Big Island, Brownsville, Texas and the Key West, Florida. All have distinction of being the "south most".

Looks like this has gone north and south...

Farthest South was Mar Del Plata, Argentina in 1994. About 4 hours south of Buenos Aires by car.

Farthest North was either the Port of Valdez, Alaska or Anchorage. It was a burial at sea over the Quinn Seamount in 1998 that took us there on a super tanker.

Hope to beat both of those points in retirement starting next year.

Anyone been to Torres del Paine?

Looks stunning but apparently very desolate as far as tourist infrastructure.

Anyone been to Torres del Paine?

Looks stunning but apparently very desolate as far as tourist infrastructure.

I've been there in 2013.
It's not that bad as far as infrastructure. Frequent buses from Puerto Natales.
We hiked around, so only used campgrounds, but there are several hotels in the park itself and and at least one of them is moderately upscale.
From the closest hotel (Hotel Las Torres) it's about 10 km (6 miles) hike to the Towers.
You could also make it a horse ride.
If you don't feel like hiking at all, you can see the Towers in the distance from the hotel vicinity.

Have look here:
Hotels and Lodges in Torres del Paine, Puerto Natales and Punta Arenas - Chile

Attachments

• P1100356.jpg
    P1100356.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 3
  • P1100502.jpg
    P1100502.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom