Farthest south you have traveled?

North: Thule, Greenland (76°N) with the USAF.
South: Cape Horn, Chile (56°S) on a cruise ship.

That make for 14,609km of North-South distance. Oddly enough, they basically have the same longitude.

My latitude fun fact is that San Antonio, Texas is further south than Cairo, Egypt!

Southernmost: close to Rotorua, New Zealand. In a day trip from Auckland, I tried to drive there, but turned back because I ran out of time.

Northernmost: Tanana Valley (north side of Fairbanks, Alaska).

Southernmost: Los Glaciares National Park, Santa Cruz Province, Argentina.

Northernmost: Iceland

Due to lack of funds I am not much of a traveler. Furthest north is Vancouver and furthest south is Key West. Realistically the furthest I am likely to ever get is Alaska and Caribbean. If money were no issue I would like to go South to Australia and New Zealand as well as maybe an African Safari. Also would like to go North to visit at least one of the Scandinavian countries.

I am having Deja Vu, we had a thread where we posted every extremity of travel not too long ago.
I had to check, Zihuatenejo is just a little south of South Point.

My latitude fun fact is that San Antonio, Texas is further south than Cairo, Egypt!

Yes. It is easy to forget that the US is quite south compared to Europe.

The UK and Germany are as north as Canada. France is at the same latitude as North Dakota. And Portugal is still north of Texas.

Hmm... Why are they so hot in the summer? And not that cold compared to Canada in the winter.

Last edited:
North: Point Barrrow Alaska

South: Antarctica

Attachments

• dew line-1.jpg
    dew line-1.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 41
  • penguin.jpg
    penguin.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
On land it would be Ushuaia, Argentina,

Cape Town, Hermanus & area in South Africa.

Hobart and Port Arthur, Tasmania in Australia

Dunedin and Milford Sound in NZ.

Last edited:
Ushuaia, Argentina. (54.8 deg. S)

Dunedin (45.9 deg. S) and Milford Sound (44.6 deg. S) in New Zealand.

omni

Ushuaia, Argentina. (54.8 deg. S)

Dunedin (45.9 deg. S) and Milford Sound (44.6 deg. S) in New Zealand.

omni

Been to Milford Sound as well but also briefly to Te Anau, which is further south.

Been meaning to visit Dunedin and the Catlins but it's a lot detour from the Queenstown/Wanaka area which has always been a big draw for me.

About 2 hours from Dunedin is a point billed as the Southernmost point in NZ but I see on the map Stewart Island which is even further south.

I thought it was trippy to learn that even in Wellington, sunscreens were advised because of how far south it was, with thinner ozone layer, which left you more vulnerable to sun damage.

Yes. It is easy to forget that the US is quite south compared to Europe.

The UK and Germany are as north as Canada. France is at the same latitude as North Dakota. And Portugal is still north of Texas.

Hmm... Why are they so hot in the summer? And not that cold compared to Canada in the winter.

The Gulf Stream.

Place I forgot I spent two+ weeks at:

Indonesia (Jakarta) (Bali) (other towns with names I can't remember)

Also spent time in the Java Sea on a natural gas production platform.

Just Fairbanks and Christchurch for me. DW, who is much more well traveled than I, has me beat on both ends: Prudhoe Bay and the Antarctic Peninsula.

Santiago, Chile, on business. Flew overnight from Atlanta in coach via Miami, arrived at 9:00 AM, crashed until lunch, had meetings all afternoon, got up early for meetings all the next day, then went to the airport for a red eye home. All in the same time zone. Boss asked if I was coming into work that day since I landed around 9 in the morning. Did I say, “No?” Sorry, I meant “Hell, no!”

Not a traveler so not very far from where I was born and raised. South I been to Utah once. Washington State to the west and MN a couple of times to the east period.

Boring I know but love where I live and have no desire to go anywhere else. Lol

Furthest south: Panama Canal

Furthest North: Grimsey Island (an island north of Iceland on the Arctic circle.

Not a traveler so not very far from where I was born and raised. South I been to Utah once. Washington State to the west and MN a couple of times to the east period.

Boring I know but love where I live and have no desire to go anywhere else. Lol

Hmmm... How about a thread to see who stays in a smallest area in his life? :)

Hmmm... How about a thread to see who stays in a smallest area in his life? :)

LOL!! I just don't care to travel. My wife travels and has been many places and has been all over the US.

Back
Top Bottom