Farthest south you have traveled?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What is the most south you have been? For me, it was Hawaii. 1975 I believe.

In 1983, I went through the Strait of Magellan on my submarine, the USS George Washington, reaching 54 degrees south latitude. We transited the Strait on the surface and from west to east.

The farthest north I have traveled is Fairbanks, Alaska, which is about 65 degrees north latitude.

Last edited:
Buenos Aires, Argentina in March 2010. Nice city.

Antarctica, Palmer Peninsula, around 65 degrees south.

Farthest north 80 degrees north just west of Svalbard. Also crossed Northwest Passage but probably never passed 75 degrees north.

Last edited:
Wow, I never really thought about this before. Maybe New Zealand's South Island, south of Christchurch. :)

Fiji, I think.

Farthest North - Denali NP - 63° north.

Last edited:
Torquay, Australia... a bit south of Melbourne.

Maybe Auckland NZ...not sure which is more south. Same trip.

Last edited:
Farthest south -- Rarotonga in the Cook Islands, but I hope to get to Antarctica in the next few years.

Farthest north -- Deadhorse, Alaska.

Wow, I never really thought about this before. Maybe New Zealand's South Island, south of Christchurch. :)

You beat me.....Wellington is as far down as I've been.

Last edited:
Not much further than southern Mexico, but boy, have I been north:

Prudoe Bay, AK

Norman Wells, NW Territories, CA

South, Toledo
North, Flint

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Queenstown, South Island, New Zealand about 45 degrees south

I may try to volunteer at some science mission in Antartica when I retire. That's the only continent I haven't visited yet.

Furthest South-Paradise Bay, Antarctica
Furthest North-Point Barrow Alaska
BTW, Gumby I sailed On the George Washington in 1962 out of Dunoon Scotland

Rio. I got an e-mail from Continental Airlines in 2000 offering travel on their new nonstop from Newark (then our home airport) to Rio for 17,500 OnePass miles per person. DH and I were just dating at the time and we grabbed it. They never made the offer again. I still treasure the H. Stern bracelet I got there.

South - Punta Arenas, Chile (along the Straight of Magellan)
North - Fairbanks

Cape Agulhas, South Africa. 34 degrees 50 minutes 00 seconds S. As far south as you can get in Africa. Was a hot, sunny day and my mate and I were the only one's there.

South - Slope Point, New Zealand - southernmost point on the South Island
North - Edinburgh

Back
Top Bottom