Favorite Traffic Apps

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am totally ignorant when it comes to apps for smartphones that alert you to traffic tie-ups, and reroute you.

I assume these exist.

Which ones do you use, and recommend?

Thanks,

Waze.

Daughter uses Google Maps.

Waze. Just used in on a long road trip in California and found it very reliable. Also, when you're on a long stretch of highway, Waze shuts up about the route until you're 5 miles from the next transition. Google kept chattering at me.

I have been using Waze while commuting for the past 6 months. I don't really need it to direct me to where I'm going. It is more to help me make a choice of route to avoid backups. I find that it is generally correct about the quickest way to go, taking into account accidents, construction and general traffic flow. However, if I disagree and go a different back road based on my many years of experience going to and from Hartford, it quickly adjusts to the new route. I also like that it talks to me, so I don't have to look at it while I am driving.

Another Wazer here.
Edit: I also use the US Free Traffic Cams app.

Last edited:
I have been using Waze while commuting for the past 6 months. I don't really need it to direct me to where I'm going. It is more to help me make a choice of route to avoid backups. I find that it is generally correct about the quickest way to go, taking into account accidents, construction and general traffic flow. However, if I disagree and go a different back road based on my many years of experience going to and from Hartford, it quickly adjusts to the new route. I also like that it talks to me, so I don't have to look at it while I am driving.

+1

I have tried Google maps and it goes quite well for indicating the best route having in mind road congestion/accidents. Also it has in mind some places like home or work and gives updates about how's the situation of the route to go there.

I haven't tried Waze though, so I can't make a comparison.

Disclaimer: my experience is related to Spain.

Former Googlemap user who switched to Waze! But only for the one car we have that has an built in display that connects to my phone via Android Auto. For the other car, an older CR-V, it's a Garmin Nuvi.

Waze, which was purchased by Google years ago. Google uses Waze data to feed Goggle Maps.

Waze, which was purchased by Google years ago. Google uses Waze data to feed Goggle Maps.

I just use Google Maps. It has all the color-coded traffic data, lists accidents and construction, etc. Presumably, the same data that Waze displays. And it's usually already installed on Android phones.

For me, Waze is the best at avoiding delays, but I have had it get confused a few times rather than get me to the correct destination. So if it's a new address, I check it on another app first to make sure it knows where I'm really going.

Waze also has a nice feature where you can tell it what time you need to get somewhere and it will recommend what time to plan to leave.

I mainly use Google Maps. I have Waze on my phone and I used it for about 6 months on the advice of DS. It was probably a bit more aggressive about getting me out of traffic, which is a good thing. But I also remember being rerouted through some pretty sketchy neighborhoods on two occasions.

I just keep gravitating back to Google Maps. It seems to have all the same data as Waze, and then some. And it seems to be a more complete mapping app vs Waze being more geared toward car navigation only. I also didn't like the ads on Waze and you can't do offline mapping. When traveling back roads with Google Maps, I can lose the data network for 10-15 minutes, but the navigation continues uninterrupted.

I like both Waze and Google Maps. I like some features on Waze better, but it drains my phone battery quickly.

Waze. It is, however, a bit tiresome to hear "vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead" over and over on long trips. But it saved my bacon several times by routing me around traffic jams, not to mention alerting me to :police: ahead.

Waze. It is, however, a bit tiresome to hear "vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead" over and over on long trips. But it saved my bacon several times by routing me around traffic jams, not to mention alerting me to :police: ahead.

On the Android version (probably something similar on the iPhone):
Settings / Display & map / Alerts on route
turn off Hazard on shoulder and Police

I was so happy when they added this feature! It was most annoying to get 24 consecutive announcements about the cop who happened to be driving 3 miles ahead of me down the freeway.

Also, just yesterday I found out that they made Waze compatible with the phone version of Android Auto. Up until now, you could only use it with the Android Auto that's built into cars. Now the app also gives you a choice between Google Maps and Waze when you select the navigation option. :clap:

Another tip for those who are in California and drive with at least one other person. Under Settings / Navigation / Add toll/HOV passes, add "CAV decal" even if you don't have one. Once Waze knows you're allowed to use HOV lanes, it can give much better routes through and around L.A. Since there are two of us, we still have to avoid the few HOV 3+ lanes in the state, but it's still been a great improvement.

Regarding Waze notifications, I wish they would add something that would announce the next maneuver. Yes, it does it automatically, but I’d like to hear it on demand. For example, I’ve wanted a reminder of the next exit I’ll be using so I can get an idea of how far I am from the exit. I understand it can be read or otherwise determined, but a simple repeat of the next maneuver would be nice. “Okay Waze, next turn”.

Also, at least on an iPhone, if you hit your close button, the screen shuts off but the voice commands still work. This saves battery and prevents the phone from getting so hot. Especially useful when your next exit is many miles ahead as is common on a long interstate trip.

I also wish it had an option to stay on the expressway. Some of the areas I’ve drove through to save a few minutes, leave a lot to be desired.

I also like / prefer Waze. But, one tip for you Wazers out there is to shut done the app when you get to your destination. If you don’t, it stays on in the background and is a real battery drain.

I run waze and google maps simultaneously. I cant' see WAZE so it runs in the background and give me voice alerts for LEO'S and hazards. Alerts is all i've found WAZE useful for.

On the Android version (probably something similar on the iPhone):

Settings / Display & map / Alerts on route

turn off Hazard on shoulder and Police

Sounds great but I don’t see that option on my iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom