Help me plan a North American road trip

Your timeframe is a non-starter, but we're taking an RV next August from LA to the vicinity of Salem Oregon to see the total eclipse. I believe I heard that it's the only full solar eclipse in the US for the next 40 years. It's going to cross the country from coast to coast.

I haven't been on a road trip since I was a child going out to the Midwest in a Winnebago. I would love some ideas about itineraries for maybe a 2 week trip in early fall. I live in the Seattle area, so could leave from there, or would be open to flying to another area and renting a car. I really like pretty cities and towns and would stay in hotels/motels. I am most interested in the Midwest, mostly for nostalgia, we used to visit family in the Dakotas and Iowa, but I am open to other areas and Canada. Anyone have a preferred road trip destination? Thanks in advance!

My goodness, you live in one of the most beautiful parts of North America. You have an abundance of wonderful places within 1-2 days' driving distance. Have you visited the Oregon coast? The Olympic peninsula? The Columbia gorge? The San Juan Islands?

If you are willing to cross the border, here are some ideas in BC.

https://www.hellobc.com/default.aspx?CC=CA

Circle Tours & Drives in BC | Travel Resources | Travel British Columbia

Mobile DriveBC

Be aware that it is already snowing on the mountain passes. You need winter tires after October 1.

Check out the very excellent Road Trips forum on Trip Advisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

I'm partial to western Montana and Northern Idaho. From Seattle, head over to Coeur d'Alene, then north to SandPoint, then east on US hwy 2 to Kalispell and then to Glacier NP. Not a winter trip.

Thanks for the link! That has a lot of fun reading. I lived in Spokane for 3 years back in the 90's and would regularly go to Coeur d'Alene and Sand Point which I really enjoyed. I need to get back there for old time's sake and stretching it into Montana sounds like fun.

My goodness, you live in one of the most beautiful parts of North America. You have an abundance of wonderful places within 1-2 days' driving distance. Have you visited the Oregon coast? The Olympic peninsula? The Columbia gorge? The San Juan Islands?

If you are willing to cross the border, here are some ideas in BC.

https://www.hellobc.com/default.aspx?CC=CA

Circle Tours & Drives in BC | Travel Resources | Travel British Columbia

Mobile DriveBC

Be aware that it is already snowing on the mountain passes. You need winter tires after October 1.

Wow, thanks so much! Those are excellent links! I am very interested in going to BC. Of course over the years I have done many trips to Vancouver and Victoria, but unfortunately little else. When I lived in Spokane years ago I did a drive up to Calgary, but I wish I had visited towns like Nelson and Kimberly.

I do live in a beautiful area which is one of the reasons I didn't mind not traveling for a number of years.

Back
Top Bottom