Yellowstone, Custer SP, N & S Dakota

Custer and Badlands

I went hiking in Custer SP and Badlands NP last week.

I stayed in the town of Custer, which is convenient to the state park. The chain hotels are on the edge of town but they’re a very short drive to the restaurants and shops. Drive all the park roads: Needles, Wilderness, Iron. Views are great.

Badlands, by the way, is a different story. I bit the bullet and stayed in the park. Cedar Pass Lodge is expensive both in absolute terms and relative to the amenities you get but it’s super convenient to all the trails. The nearby alternatives looked a bit sketchy to me.

Do be aware that the Black Hills area has some weather extremes. Lots of cold and snow in winter, lots of heat in summer. Years ago, we drove half way across ND with the outside air temp at 108'F.
But the area is definitely worth your time, we've been there 4 times and still want to go back.

I have to recommend my sister's Vrbo just outside of Keystone, SD. It's a gorgeous area minutes from Mt. Rushmore and if you have a rainy day, her place has plenty to do--pool table, fuseball, a covered outdoor area with a fire pit table, full kitchen! Sleeps six. She and her hubby are "premier hosts."

Mount Rushmore is a short visit, but if you are staying nearby or are there at nightfall, they have a wonderful ceremony honoring the military and veterans. Check the website for times and days.

Back
Top Bottom