Help with a trip to the southwest

While in New Mexico drop over to Pie Town Pies in the city of Pie Town for a delicious slice of pie. It's the #1 restaurant in Pie Town according to Trip Advisor. :angel:

And I did have a slice of pie in Pie Town, in a trip to Ruidoso a few years ago because it was on the way. Interesting, but not sure if one should make a detour for this.

Ugh, just looked on Google, and Pie Town Cafe was said to be permanently closed. A victim of Covid, no doubt.

PS. No, Pie Town Pies is what we talked about, and it is still open. There's also a Pie-O-Neer Pies, which is also permanently closed.

Hmmm... I recall that when I made a stop there, there was only one place, not three.

PPS. Both Pie Town Pies and Pie-O-Neer Pies are on the north side of the road, and that rules out Pie Town Cafe as the place I visited. From the look at photos of the interior, I think I stopped at Pie-O-Neer and not the other place, which might not exist then.

Now, which one is the original? From a Web research, I think Pie-O-Neer is (the one now closed). It also served only pies, and nothing else. It was established in 1920. Too bad that Covid killed it.

Last edited:
Yes, Pie-O-Neer Pies closed and the other pie place is Pie Town Pies which is also part of a cafe that is called "The Gatherin' Place" or used to be called that before it was renamed Pie Town Pies, I think. A little complicated!

I stopped there on Memorial Day coming back from the AZ White Mountains and took home a peach pie and a "New Mexico Apple Pie" (contains green chile and crushed pinyon nuts or pinon with tilde over the n). Small expensive pies but both were very good and worth the money as I am a big pie fan. However I never went to Pie-O-Neer Pies so cannot compare the two. But not sure it is worth the long drive on US 60 unless you are already in the area, e.g. plan to visit the nearby (relatively) Very Large Array Radio Telescope facility. There are also some very good pies at Gifford Homestead in Capitol Reef National Park.

Last edited:
Ugh, just looked on Google, and Pie Town Cafe was said to be permanently closed. A victim of Covid, no doubt.

PS. No, Pie Town Pies is what we talked about, and it is still open. There's also a Pie-O-Neer Pies, which is also permanently closed.

Hmmm... I recall that when I made a stop there, there was only one place, not three.

PPS. Both Pie Town Pies and Pie-O-Neer Pies are on the north side of the road, and that rules out Pie Town Cafe as the place I visited. From the look at photos of the interior, I think I stopped at Pie-O-Neer and not the other place, which might not exist then.

Now, which one is the original? From a Web research, I think Pie-O-Neer is (the one now closed). It also served only pies, and nothing else. It was established in 1920. Too bad that Covid killed it.

Interesting. I suppose a lot of small places will not survive Covid, but others may pop up later. Pie Tow Pies is still #1 rated. I probably should have mentioned that it is #1 out of a total of two restaurants in the town. :angel:

I was not kidding about the Pueblos. They have fascinating histories, and unlike Pie Town, are worth the time it takes to go a bit out of the way to see them.

OP - If you are the correct age, you can buy a lifetime National Park pass, well worth it if visiting a few parks over the rest of your life. It's $80 and lasts forever.

We got 1 in DW's name as a couple only need 1 and I'm guessing she will live longer and get more use out of it after I'm dead. :)

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

OP - If you are the correct age, you can buy a lifetime National Park pass, well worth it if visiting a few parks over the rest of your life. It's $80 and lasts forever.

We got 1 in DW's name as a couple only need 1 and I'm guessing she will live longer and get more use out of it after I'm dead. :)

Yes, the lifetime passes, a good deal. Now for age 62 and over, and cost $80.

I got mine quite awhile ago when they only cost $10. Long ago got my monies worth for that $10!!

Do some research before taking off on a 5 mile hike in the southwest. Many trails have a few thousand feet of elevation difference. Quite different and more difficult than going for a walk around the neighborhood.

ETA - AllTrails.com is a great resource for finding great hiking trails.
+1
I am also an AllTrails fan. I even spring for the paid app.

I assume you already have a lifetime senior pass for the national parks. If not make sure to get one perhaps at the first National Park you visit. In Arizona, if you are approaching via I-10, I'd strongly recommend a tour of Karchner Caverns near Benson Arizona east of Tucson. The Caverns are in a State Park which has decent camping facilities. While in that area, you could also consider a brief stop in Tombstone and maybe staying a night in the old mining town of Bisbee. From there, Tucson is the next significant city, and here I'd recommend a visit to the Saguaro National Park. There is a west and an east section. Both are beautiful and quite unique as the saguaro cactus only grows in the Sonoran Desert. Also in the Tucson area is the Sonoran Desert Museum and the Pima Air and Space Museum.

Phoenix is a sprawling city which along with other cities comprise the Valley of the Sun. Plenty to see and do there depending on your interests. I like the drive to the summit of South Mountain where you get a great view of pretty much the entire valley. The Heard Museum in Phoenix focuses on ancient Native American Culture. In Scottsdale, Taliesin West is a must see for Frank Lloyd Wright fans. Hiking in April is good if you avoid the hottest parts of the day and bring plenty of water. Popular, if strenuous, hikes include Camelback Mountain and Piestewa Peak. There are many easier trails around the base of Piestewa Peak and some of them make you forget that you're in the center of one of the largest metro areas in the country. Also unique is the Desert Botanical Garden.

Between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon, interesting stops include Prescott, Jerome, old town Cottonwood, Sedona, and Flagstaff. Sedona, with its red rock beauty, probably should have been made a National Park. But it wasn't and that's allowed lucky folks like me to make their home there.

In addition to what's already mentioned.

Grand Canyon Horseshoe Bend - used to be free access but the city of Page paved the parking lot and now charge $10 for parking

Ooh Aah Point Grand Canyon South Kaibab Trail - great views at sunrise

I think the views from the North Rim are nicer but it's a long drive to the North Rim.

Antelope Canyon - on Navajo land east of Page

The Wave (at Arizona Utah border) - need to get a permit from Bureau of Land Management or risk getting a fine

Last edited:
One night splurge?

Great suggestions above!

If you want to stay in a gorgeous spot in Grand Canyon and splurge for a night or 2, try Kachina Lodge on the South Rim. Request a 2nd floor room (no elevator in case accessibility is an issue) and you will have an incredible view.

My wife has the Golden Pass and it saves us $35 each time we go into a national park. Only one that doesn't charge is Great Smoky Mountains N/P.

Picked one up last weekend.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It’s going to take a while to sort thru everything. The hard part is trying to figure out how long to plan at each stop, and what to see.

It looks like reservations for camping in the parks need to be made well in advance, it looks like getting a motel room may not be that hard, just expensive. And there are also campgrounds outside the park.

I’ve also got some trip planning guides, and a backroad & 4-wheel drive Trail guide.

I also plan on taking the wife camping long before we make the trip. We haven’t been in quite some time, and that was in a self contained travel trailer.

I’m also getting a little tired of her friends acting like anything less than a four star hotel is roughing it.

I’m also getting a little tired of her friends acting like anything less than a four star hotel is roughing it.

I had a former coworker who told me that her idea of roughing it is staying in a 5-star hotel during the Winter when the outdoor pool is closed. :D

Whichever NP you decide to visit, make sure you book far ahead in advance for your camping spots. The pent-up demand is real and I heard some popular NPs in Utah (Bryce, Zion) have started to turn away visitors mid-day due to overcrowding.

I witnessed this first hand when we were in Sequoia Nat'l Park in May this year. I booked our in-park accommodation sometime in Jan for a May trip, and they only had a few rooms left even then. When we were there, parking was hard to come by at popular trails. So we either hit the trail very early (before 9am) or later in the day (3pm and up).

We're going to Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas next month - I'm hoping the heat will turn people away but we plan on being there no earlier than 4pm just to be sure. This will give me time to take some sunset pictures too.

Oh, some attractions on Navajo Land might still be closed. I've been meaning to see Antelope Canyon in AZ but it's still closed and nobody knows when the Navajo tribe decides to open it.

Do some research before taking off on a 5 mile hike in the southwest. Many trails have a few thousand feet of elevation difference. Quite different and more difficult than going for a walk around the neighborhood.

Ain't that the truth! The trail to see Gen. Sherman tree in Sequoia Nat'l Park is only 0.5 mile and very well paved / wheelchair friendly, but boy, did it kick our butts when we were there last month due to increasing elevation every step we took.

Oh, some attractions on Navajo Land might still be closed. I've been meaning to see Antelope Canyon in AZ but it's still closed and nobody knows when the Navajo tribe decides to open it.

The Navajo got hit by Covid heavily and quite early. Initially, it was thought that the tribe would be safe, being in an isolated area. It all started when a Navajo tribal official brought back the virus after he attended a conference outside the area, back in early March 2020. All hell broke loose, and they issued lock-down orders in early April.

Covid deniers would better keep their mouth shut when around the Navajo Indians. :nonono:

Last edited:
Fredericksburg TX is a great stop. There are hundreds of wineries and tasting rooms in the area. Make sure to visit the National Museum of the Pacific War. It's just 1 block off main street.

If you are driving I-10 across southern AZ you should stop at Kartchner Caverns State Park.

I’ve also got some trip planning guides, and a backroad & 4-wheel drive Trail guide.

Two comments
1) Remember you are out West where any help might be many, many miles away. For example, most of us likely have no business 4-wheeling in the Maze section of Canyonland NP.

2) You might not be a brave as you think you are, once you get on narrow mountains roads with huge drop offs. I don't really need a Jeep, as my Subaru will go lots places that my nerves can't handle. :LOL:

looks like getting a motel room may not be that hard, just expensive. And there are also campgrounds outside the park.

I was out that way (Texas to Vegas) 4 to 6 weeks back. Finding an available hotel room near I-10 and I-20 wasn't any problem at all back then. I honestly don't remember the cost.... Wasn't even thinking about that..

Just a note on 4 wheeling, if you been 4 wheeling any length of time, I'm sure you already know that 4WD vehicles get stuck too... :) I could tell you a story about a sand bar in Big Bend along the Rio Grande :blush:... I usually bring a portable wench with me "now" and some strong wire rope and/or nylon straps. But that's me. In some remote areas help maybe a while in coming..... And cell phone service is, well :LOL:. CB's are pretty useless too. A sat phone (and emergency numbers) might be nice if you have access to one.

Last edited:
Two comments
1) Remember you are out West where any help might be many, many miles away. For example, most of us likely have no business 4-wheeling in the Maze section of Canyonland NP.

2) You might not be a brave as you think you are, once you get on narrow mountains roads with huge drop offs. I don't really need a Jeep, as my Subaru will go lots places that my nerves can't handle. :LOL:

I saw this (Shafer "Road" in Canyonlands) and thought I'd just stick to the paved roads

Attachments

• jeep shafer trail.jpg
    jeep shafer trail.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 37
I saw this (Shafer "Road" in Canyonlands) and thought I'd just stick to the paved roads

I guess I'd better not go there with my motorhome. :D

Two comments

When we decided to take a shortcut through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, we stopped in at the BLM office and the fellow showed us on the map the route.

He warned us to have lots of water, because traffic was light and it might be 1/2 a day or more before some drove by us , if we broke down.

It was a fun adventure in my rental car :LOL::LOL: , and while it was shorter, it probably took longer than going around. However the desolate views were stunning.

Back
Top Bottom