Month long trip bring the laptop or not?

No tablet or computer for 2-weeks overseas, and I did not miss anything at all.

My phone is relatively new, and it was a success.

We do a lot of extended travel where we do need to log into financial accounts while we are away. We typically bring at least one laptop if we were traveling for 2 weeks or more. If it's a several monthslong trip where we are staying in monthlong apartment rentals we will usually both bring our laptops, but if we are moving around a lot we'll try to limit it to 1 laptop.

When doing financial transactions I prefer to use a laptop because I can really see what I'm doing. I don't like the little screen on the phone or tablet bc it's not what I habitually use for these types of transactions when we are at home and I worry I will make a consequential mistake, like selling/transferring money out of an IRA (we are not 59.5 yet) instead of the brokerage account. Also, we keep a travel blog with photos and videos and it is so much easier to edit photos/videos and maintain the blog using a laptop. To keep data secure, we create an encrypted volume on the laptop that requires a complicated passphrase and yubikey to get into.

We are planning a four-week trip to an Airbnb cabin this summer (driving our own car) and we will both bring our laptops. We are planning a five-week hiking trip through the Dolomites in fall and will be moving around a bit more so will probably bring just one laptop on that trip. When we share the laptop, we put all our "stuff" in our own unique folder structures on the encrypted volume. We also set up our own Chrome profiles so that when we use the internet and email our usual bookmarks are there, etc. That way I can save bookmarks and not "muck up" DH's setup and vice versa. It feels more like we're each using our own laptop that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom