Need cruise advice

And what's a port fee? Isn't going to various ports the whole idea of a cruise so why should I pay more for being there?

A port fee or tax is a mandatory charge placed by the government of the port the ship is visiting. Reputable cruise lines account for them separately because they are always fully refundable to the passengers if the ship misses the port for any reason or if you cancel your cruise.

Re: trip cancellation insurance It is super-critical to read the policy and what is covered. As one example, unless one buys cancel-for-any-reason I doubt that a pet's illness would qualify to pay for a cancellation.

Agreed.

We really need different words for different types of cruises besides just "a cruise".
.... I've never been on "the big ships" and it sure sounds like I never want to.
I've experienced both kinds. I do like the relaxation associated with the ability to do and have things without an added expense. It's very much like buying the beverage package. Given that I tend to analyze stuff, I did sharpen my pencil and compared the price of an all-inclusive cruise to a typical pedestrian Caribbean cruise that competes on price (and moves all kinds of things like mandatory tips, taxes, etc out of the list price). What I determined is that I'd have a hard time getting my money's worth on an all-inclusive cruise. This is because I'm not a huge drinker of booze or coffee, I'm not interested in the included shore excursions (prefer the pair of us, alone, or maybe one other couple). It's annoying, though, that the non-inclusive cruises are always trying to sell you something. I don't mind paying for stuff, since I know the base price was low, but the constant pitching of revenue generating stuff is a pain, and that escaped my sharp pencil analysis.

While we'd agree with you about the booze package not being worth it since we simply don't drink that much - I'm willing to pay more in total for "all-inclusive," if the *total quality* of experience, food, etc. is superior. Did your sharp pencil detect any variations along that line?

I did sharpen my pencil and compared the price of an all-inclusive cruise to a typical pedestrian Caribbean cruise that competes on price (and moves all kinds of things like mandatory tips, taxes, etc out of the list price). s.

I'm afraid my $ analysis did a poor job of capturing the better "vibe". One big thing was the clientele seemed more to my liking; shared meal topics kept me at the table longer, whereas the more pedestrian cruises I often found myself ready to get away. And the food was better than a good fraction of pedestrian cruises, but I'm not that sensitive to the food aspect beyond spotting obvious cheap ingredients or missing menu items (that only are available in the pay restaurants). But point taken...the $ and ¢ isn't complete. What do they say? "Nothing accounts for taste"?

Thanks for all of your input. We did call a travel agent and got a few quotes- I wanted to do 2 rooms, DH doesn't want to pay the extra, and its all going to cost a bit more than we thought, especially after you add in excursions, etc. Its still 4 months out too, so currently undecided.

Costco travel

I would strongly recommend you calling Costco Travel or visiting the website and get an alternative quote to compare. I have an 11 year old and 14 year old too. We've traveled many Disney Cruises when they're younger and they love them. Next summer we are going to do a trip with Costco Travel and NCL to Barcelona and Italy.

My folks did some comparison shopping as well and the savings were good enough at Costco for them to justify buying an executive membership. The membership gives them 2% off the purchase and if they get the credit card it gives them an additional 3% off the purchase.

Last edited:
I just got an email from Holland America with bargain cruises... the link won’t copy but see if you can find it. Great cruise line and amaz8ng rates.

Thanks for all of your input. We did call a travel agent and got a few quotes- I wanted to do 2 rooms, DH doesn't want to pay the extra, and its all going to cost a bit more than we thought, especially after you add in excursions, etc. Its still 4 months out too, so currently undecided.

Do your planning, regardless of your ultimate decision, quickly. Final payment for a cruise (i.e., other than those last minute sales) usually due about 3 months prior to cruise date.....and it's generally non refundable once you're within that 90 day window.

Hey y'all. I haven't ever booked a cruise before. So here is the situation- we have a local holiday (Mardi Gras) and are considering taking the fam (Me, DH and two boys 11 and 14) on a cruise. It has to be that week and no other thanks to the boys being off from school. We would drive to the port (Canaveral, Tampa or New Orleans)

I don't understand cruise pricing- its double occupancy, right? Does it change if you have more than 2 people in a room? Can you book adjoining rooms, and if you do, can one be ocean view and one be balcony? Do cruises get more heavily discounted closer to sailing date? When is high season and low season? Is it cheaper to do it yourself or would a travel agent be better in this situation. Thanks!
Yes it's based on dbl occupancy but a few rooms permit up to 4 people or you can just ask for adjoining rooms. As to Balcony vs Ocean view .... generally adjoining rooms will be the same category. HOWEVER you can book a balcony and inside room directly across the hall. The issue is you must put one adult in each room on the booking form. But when you get there (if you trust your two boys) you can shift it out. I've done this so many times. What winds up happening is I take Ocean View and I put two kids in the inside room across the hall. I also tell them that I need extra room keys so that I have a room key for both rooms. As a responsible adult they have no problem giving me a room key for both rooms. At any rate that's how it is on both Princess where I'm Elite+ and Carnival where I'm gold

HAL is also owned by CCL so I can't imagine they're going to be that different

Last edited:
Yes it's based on dbl occupancy but a few rooms permit up to 4 people or you can just ask for adjoining rooms. As to Balcony vs Ocean view .... generally adjoining rooms will be the same category. HOWEVER you can book a balcony and inside room directly across the hall. The issue is you must put one adult in each room on the booking form. But when you get there (if you trust your two boys) you can shift it out. I've done this so many times. What winds up happening is I take Ocean View and I put two kids in the inside room across the hall. I also tell them that I need extra room keys so that I have a room key for both rooms. As a responsible adult they have no problem giving me a room key for both rooms. At any rate that's how it is on both Princess where I'm Elite+ and Carnival where I'm gold
Great advice! If you value your sanity, spend the extra $$ and book an inside across the hall. The cabins are not that large, and with the extra bunks, there will be almost no room to move around. Having 2 bathrooms is a much better idea, and that way the adults have some privacy.

Back
Top Bottom