NY City?

French?: Le Bernardin or Daniel, Italian: Babbo or Del posto. Google them see what you like, which ones have a spot for a reservation. There are many others, but these are the top shelf ones. Ive eaten at these places.

Go to the subway station near your hotel, its a very very big one. You can buy them at a machine once you get into the station or buy it from a token booth. Yes they are good for both bus and subway. They take credit cards at the machine. Cash only at the booth.

Last edited:
thanks for clarifying. it helps to have the vernacular down. since we will actually only be there 6 days I don't want to worry about how to navigate

HEy again. Getting close to our arrival to NYC. Am applying for the easypay metro card and wondering if I have to get 2? For my wife and for me?
Also we cancelled our GO AirLink shuttle because of bad reviews. We are choosing the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, then the LIRR to Penn? Am I thinking good on this? Again - never been there.

HEy again. Getting close to our arrival to NYC. Am applying for the easypay metro card and wondering if I have to get 2? For my wife and for me?
Also we cancelled our GO AirLink shuttle because of bad reviews. We are choosing the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, then the LIRR to Penn? Am I thinking good on this? Again - never been there.

"Can two people use one Metrocard?"

"So, if you want to wait 18 minutes before the second person can enter the gate, sure two people can use it. But if you want to enter the station at the same time two people cannot use the same card. If you purchase a pay per ride Metrocard your wife and you can use the same card."

Best answer I could find.

"Can two people use one Metrocard?"

"So, if you want to wait 18 minutes before the second person can enter the gate, sure two people can use it. But if you want to enter the station at the same time two people cannot use the same card. If you purchase a pay per ride Metrocard your wife and you can use the same card."

Best answer I could find.

not sure I understand. I got online and bought an easypay that is backed by a credit card. I thought it would be easier........so which gate are you referring to? why 18 minutes? is it recommended I go ahead and order another easypay for my wife?

Ok I did some reading....I didn't order the Unlimited easypay. its the other one, whatever it is called ;) Same difference or very different?? I do not want to make "rookie" mistakes in NYC lol

I was thinking regular Metrocards.

Give them a call so you know for sure.

EasyPay MetroCard Account Service Center
1-877-323-RIDE (7433)

9 AM to 5 PM weekdays, except holidays
9 AM to 2 PM Saturday

That is an excellent idea. We did it the last time we stayed in NYC. Warning! There are 2 Airtrains, one goes to the LIRR station, but the other one goes to the subway. Be sure you get on the right one.
If in doubt, ask someone. At the LIRR station, there are machines to buy your tickets.
Warning about Penn Station. In many cases they do not announce which platform your train is until shortly before it arrives. Then there is a scramble to get to the right platform. It is not too bad, but just wanted to make you aware of it.

Glad you canceled your GoLink reservation. They are bad!

I would recommend a cab from the airport to your hotel. It's a flat fee of $52 from JFK. Unless you have very little luggage, it can be a pain to navigate escalators, etc. and transfer to AirTrain and LIRR. And you are not familiar with the process, so it may be a bit stressful. You will still need to get from Penn Station to your hotel (cab?). As an alternative to the cab, you can take an NYC Airporter bus. https://www.nycairporter.com/. It's $34 round trip.
They run every 20-30 minutes. This is what I usually use.

Re: Metrocard. I think you bought a pay per ride card. Both you and you wife can use this. If it was an unlimited card, you could not, unless one of you wanted to wait 18 minutes:mad:. Since the card will autofill from your credit card to maintain a minimum balance, what will you do at the end of your trip? You will have balance on the Metrocard. I don't think you can get a refund.

An unlimited monthly card, or other unlimited type, can't be used in the same station twice unless 18 minutes have passed. This is to prevent someone passing back the card to a second person and two people getting a ride on the same card.

If you want to save some cash take the E train, Jamaica to Penn for $2.75. The LIRR is $10.25 peak one way and if you buy on the train a $6.00 additional fee, rounded to the nearest dollar is added.

I've done the airtrain to E train and I've done the airtrain to LIRR. It all depends on where your hotel is as to which is better... The connection in manhattan was more straightforward doing the LIRR last time I was there... 1 or 2 less transfers IIRC.

As for luggage.... Yeah - if you travel heavy (vs light)... a cab is simpler. But I never travel with more than a carry on size roller and a bookbag... so no issues at all going on public transit to/from the airport.

Have a great time.

ok, my hotel is on 59th street on the south east corner of Central Park. So, Airtrain to E train? to Penn, then cab to hotel? We are leaving to go there Monday....eeek

how does that sound? we have 2 carry ons and a large checked bag (29 inchr)

orrr nyc airporter?? which is easier/faster?

we bought and have in our possession a reduced rate easypay mta card for me, and another easy pay card for my wife who is younger than 65

If it we me, 1- collect your luggage,

2-leave terminal

3-the second you leave terminal there is a cab stand

4- have the usher hail you a cab

5-hold on tight, and enjoy the ride.

ok, my hotel is on 59th street on the south east corner of Central Park. So, Airtrain to E train? to Penn, then cab to hotel? We are leaving to go there Monday....eeek

how does that sound? we have 2 carry ons and a large checked bag (29 inchr)
If you take the E, transfer at Queens Blvd to the R train. Get out at the 5th Ave / 59th stop. Will be very close to what you need.

Back
Top Bottom