Overtourism

We visited the Musee D’Orsay in May 2015. We went in the evening. It wasn’t so crowded and we got a good look at the paintings plus had a nice evening meal.

The Musee de l’Orangerie was the best. We got there right when it opened. We had it mostly to ourselves for the first hour. Had the murals to ourselves at times. It was lovely.

I skipped the Louvre, and now I’m glad I did. DH had been in the 70s and wasn’t enthusiastic to return, plus remarked about the Mona Lisa being small. We just got a combo ticket for the other two museums as we were more interested in impressionistic paintings.

I found the Louvre to be like hiking trails in national parks. The farther you get away from the few 'must see' pieces, the less crowded and more pleasant the experience becomes. Still, one should not go there expecting to not have to deal with many other people.

We visited the Musee D’Orsay in May 2015. We went in the evening. It wasn’t so crowded and we got a good look at the paintings plus had a nice evening meal.

I'd heard that was a good way to visit the Louvre as well.

We were at the Louvre in March 2003. Traffic was not bad. I remember being unhappy about the Impressionist wing being closed at that time. Later, saw plenty of Impressionist paintings at d'Orsay, and I have not been back to the Louvre since.

Wandered around until we found ourselves in a room which was more crowded. "What's going on here? Oh, it's the Mona Lisa".

It was a bitty painting, and they put it behind layers of bullet-proof glass you are better off seeing a facsimile of it.

Ok, got that one on my belt. Next!

PS. Of course they have to protect that famous painting. Can't risk someone playing a prank and defacing the painting like this.

Duchamp%2C_LHOOQ%2C_1919.png

Last edited:
Standing on lines is not on my bucket list - no matter the destination.

My blood pressure drops, and so do I.:(

Grand Canyon: top 1 mile of Bright Angel is crowded. Most tour bus groups don't go farther, yet that's where the good views are. So, the G.C. can still be nice if you come prepared for a real hike.

Art: I know the Mona Lisa is THE iconic painting in the world. But how about something American, that's pretty iconic? Go to the Art Institute in Chicago and see "American Gothic." Up close, without a crowd. Pretty cool. Chicago isn't too crowded... yet. It gets busy downtown, but nothing like the other areas discussed. Too new, I guess. People want to see piles of rubble and other stuff.

This is very noticeable in Europe, and they are usually the ones hogging scenic spots while taking tons of selfies or of each other.

People not looking at the Mona Lisa...

IMG_5787.jpg

Selfies, and “glamour” shots...

I'd heard that was a good way to visit the Louvre as well.

It just happened the day we arrived, a Thursday, was their late open day with dinner available as well. Short lines, and we picked up the combo ticket so we could go to the Musee de l’Orangerie first thing the next morning.

I think the most interesting thing about the Mona Lisa is how it came to be a French possession.

We also time our travel to avoid peak times.

We had a pleasant visit to the north rim of the canyon seven or eight years ago. Tourism there is more sparse, and light pollution is much less. The park had a volunteer with a telescope offering stargazing opportunities. Very nice.

The only way to do the GC.. IMO...we made a day trip in early December once a little snow on the ground and there were literally a dozen people in the entire park.

Want to avoid crowds? Most of Latin America has great weather during the US & Canadian winter. Want to see Fernando Botero's sublime take on the Mona Lisa? Go to the Botero Museum in Bogota, Colombia:

AP3380.jpg

In Europe, at least, we have had the double whammy of cheap airlines (led by Ryanair and EasyJet), plus AirBnB making way more accommodation available. In towns like Barcelona or Amsterdam a property owner can make more money by renting to AirBnB customers for the 5-7 months of the season than to a local for 12 months.

These cities are always trying to bring in new rules to curb AirBnB rentals, but those rules are easy to game or break as there is no money for enforcement (because, guess what, these properties pay no local taxes, unlike hotels). For example, in Palma de Mallorca any property advertised for short-term rental must have a license number, and the numbers are hard to get. But multi-property owners recycle or swap licence the numbers, and the people checking only have time to verify that the number is genuine.

Full disclosure: DW and I fly a lot with low-cost airlines, but we avoid AirBnB unless it is a genuine spare room rental in a private home.

we avoid AirBnB unless it is a genuine spare room rental in a private home.

In Sofia, Bulgaria, we rented an airbnb studio in a low rise apartment building which was the residence of an architect - (half her family seemed to live in the same building, including a younger sister who was schooled in the U.S. and became our 'go to' contact.)

We've had similar experiences, the resident moves out, (stays with friends/relatives perhaps), and we move in.

I read a few articles. Main culprits seem to be super cheap international airfares and giant cruise ships. Apparently flights from UK to Barcelona cab be as low as £19, in other words a pizza and beer dinner. No wonder!

Airline fuels are lower taxed than other fuels, and cruise ships use the least refined, dirtiest fuels. This contributes somewhat to the profitability.

Some popular locations have seen 13% increase in tourists in just one year.

Interesting times.

Last edited:
Timely topic as we just got a save the date for wedding in Marbella, Spain for the Spring of 2020.

Found a HGTV product of a house hunters in that town and although it's beautiful, the entire coastline is packed with multi-story condos, jammed in there like sardines.

I read a few articles. Main culprits seem to be super cheap international airfares and giant cruise ships. Apparently flights from UK to Barcelona cab be as low as £19, in other words a pizza and beer dinner. No wonder!

Just a quick check, and RT flight Frankfurt/Barcelona is US$65 in September. It's US$51 for Stansted (London)/Barcelona.

For me to go to Oakland to spend a few days in Napa Valley in September, it would cost $200 RT for a shorter flight.

They can ride the metro for a few euros. I would have to rent a car.

No wonder Europeans are crowding their own destinations.

Last edited:
A remarkable thread. It reminded me that I'm overdue for a visit to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Still generally peaceful and uncrowded. Great fishing, too.

Also, like NW-Bound, I always enjoy Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. If you get off the beaten track a bit, you can have things to yourself.

Timely topic as we just got a save the date for wedding in Marbella, Spain for the Spring of 2020.

Found a HGTV product of a house hunters in that town and although it's beautiful, the entire coastline is packed with multi-story condos, jammed in there like sardines.

I was stationed in Rota, Spain with the Navy 1972-1976. We used to visit Marbella and other parts of the Costa del Sol. The area was touristy (mainly Brits, Germans and Scandanavians looking for some sun) but not overwhelming and made for a very pleasant long weekend getaway. Last fall we stopped in Malaga on a cruise (yes, guilty as charged!) and linked up for the day with a retired friend who lives in Puerto Jose Banus (Marbella area) for several months a year. He toured us around some of the old haunts and they were completely unrecognizable! High rises, traffic, huge yachts, people - it destroyed all the fond memories of "the good old days". Just typical of so many areas discussed in this thread, I suppose.

. In towns like Barcelona or Amsterdam a property owner can make more money by renting to AirBnB customers for the 5-7 months of the season than to a local for 12 months.

we avoid AirBnB unless it is a genuine spare room rental in a private home.

In April we got an AirBnB for a week in Barcelona. Incredible! Five bedrooms, five baths, super modern kitchen, living room etc etc etc. and a pool on the rooftop. And right on the Passeig de Gracia.

From what we could tell this wasn't someone's home but was an investment property strictly for AirBnb rentals. We had daily housekeeping and a concierge in the lobby.

The whole canyon? Wow.

My parents visited the Grand Canyon last year with an Airstream tour group. The South rim was packed with loud foreign speaking guides, all shouting directions to the people exiting the multiple bus loads of people with color matched shirts.

The next day, they visited the North rim, and were greeted with about 5 cars in the parking lot, and a revered silence that allowed them to take their time exploring in peace, and awe !

I was stationed in Rota, Spain with the Navy 1972-1976. We used to visit Marbella and other parts of the Costa del Sol. The area was touristy (mainly Brits, Germans and Scandanavians looking for some sun) but not overwhelming and made for a very pleasant long weekend getaway. Last fall we stopped in Malaga on a cruise (yes, guilty as charged!) and linked up for the day with a retired friend who lives in Puerto Jose Banus (Marbella area) for several months a year. He toured us around some of the old haunts and they were completely unrecognizable! High rises, traffic, huge yachts, people - it destroyed all the fond memories of "the good old days". Just typical of so many areas discussed in this thread, I suppose.

Ah, Rota...one of my favorite crew rest spots. To this day, best Italian food I have ever eaten. I always thought it interesting that it was so good...but an Italian joint in Spain and was run by a German. It was called "Ed's" and I don't think it's there anymore. :(

A few months ago, I read about Barcelona residents having enough with crowding, and wanting some measures to limit tourists.

Now, Bruges just joins the list of cities implementing ways to limit tourists. They just "can't hack it no more". It's not the Chinese, but other Europeans who crowd the streets.

Good thing I have been to Bruges twice, and not as a cruise ship passenger. I will spare them a 3rd visit. Heh heh heh...

See: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/12/bruges-moves-limit-cruise-ship-tourists-daytrippers/.

PS. In 2017, when I visited Luxembourg for the 2nd time, traffic was heavy, even in a shoulder season. It was not the Chinese then either, but all other Europeans.

Last edited:
Now, Bruges just joins the list of cities implementing ways to limit tourists. They just "can't hack it no more".

Good thing I have been to Bruges twice, and not as a cruise ship passenger. I will spare them a 3rd visit. Heh heh heh...

See: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/12/bruges-moves-limit-cruise-ship-tourists-daytrippers/.

As someone who visited Bruges about 10 years ago and stayed for several nights, I can go along with their plans.

emphasis added...

“But we have to aim for quality tourism, people who stay here for a few days, eat well, visit museums. Not the large crowds that are taken here by bus for three hours and then return to their cruise ship."

Now, Bruges just joins the list of cities implementing ways to limit tourists.

At peak times, visitors can outnumber Bruges residents three to one.

That quote from the article is probably quite true.
Bruges has been one of my favorite cities since my first visit nearly 30 years ago. But it has always been a Mecca for European tourists (as well as everyone else). But as long as you stay away from the central square you can find plenty of room to wander about on your own. It's also a great base for day trips in that part of Flanders.

Back
Top Bottom