Peru

Trailwalker

Full time employment: Posting here.
First leg of trip was clean and on time. AA from Chicago to Dallas to Lima. Worst part of the day was trying to park at O’hare where long term economy parking was “temporarily closed.” On to Cusco today on a domestic airline.

The altitude of Cuzco is over 11,000 feet. You go from roughly sea level to 11 K feet on a one hour flight. You do not have time to acclimatize. Coca tea helps, but the take 3 steps stop and breathe also works,

The altitude of Cuzco is over 11,000 feet. You go from roughly sea level to 11 K feet on a one hour flight. You do not have time to acclimatize. Coca tea helps, but the take 3 steps stop and breathe also works,

It will definitely be an adjustment from 1000 feet at my home in Wisconsin. We will have a few days to get used to the elevation before hiking the Inca trail.

I agree with clobber about Peruvian food. Afew years ago we went on a culinany tour of Lima that went from 10 AM to 10 PM. Along the way, we ate our way through the city. It was fabulous!

Peruvian food is amazing. However, if you get tired of it and wind up back in Cusco near the end, I can highly recommend this hole in the wall mexican place: https://goo.gl/maps/jhfmg6CqgiD5sxyRA

The hike doesn’t start until Wednesday, and there will be an extra day in Cusco after we are done. I do like hole in the wall Mexican food, but the Peruvian food has been amazing and inexpensive. Tonight I had stewed lamb in cilantro sauce, plantains, vegetables and rice for about $8. A 620 ml beer was $3 bucks. Complimentary Pisco Sour at the hotel after dinner.

The people here have been so nice and friendly. Off to a good start with the air travel behind us for awhile. It’s the edge of rainy season here. Lots of sun to go with the intermittent showers.

I'm following this thread - heading to Peru in a couple of weeks. I've got my prescription for diamox... I'm very prone to altitude sickness (family vacations were backpacking in the Sierra's - and I puked my way up the first pass every time... 2 days later I'd acclimated - but those first 2 days were awful.)
Please post pictures and tales of your trip.

I'm following this thread - heading to Peru in a couple of weeks. I've got my prescription for diamox... I'm very prone to altitude sickness (family vacations were backpacking in the Sierra's - and I puked my way up the first pass every time... 2 days later I'd acclimated - but those first 2 days were awful.)

Rodi, are you going to be in Lima for any length of time? I have a recommendation for a culinary tour.

Hiking the Inca trail , 2016, rates among my favorite active vacations. A great choice. Enjoy.

DW has had a couple of prior experiences with altitude sickness, so she brought a prescription with her but hasn’t used it yet. She has been taking ibuprofen for a slight headache. She is doing better today—our second day in Cusco. The coca tea does help.

This morning we hiked the alltrails hike from Plaza de Armas up to Cristo Blanco, which is about a two mile hike up lots of stairs and back down. We could definitely feel it in our lungs.

We hung out in the Plaza de Armas for the rest of the morning. There is lots going on: parades, marching bands, politicians giving speeches. This afternoon, we toured a chocolate factory and then hung out on the balcony at the taproom for the Brewery of the Sacred Valley. The weather was wonderful today: sunny and 70.

DW bought a baby alpaca sweater at a place recommended by our hotel for authenticity and quality. Not inexpensive, but she was very happy.

So many wonderful plazas to see with all of the local families getting out to socialize and enjoy the good weather on a Sunday.

Last edited:
Cusco

Here are a few pics from today

Attachments

• 2BF1D0BD-563F-4BFF-ABE1-369055745145.jpeg
    2BF1D0BD-563F-4BFF-ABE1-369055745145.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 851F0AEC-A606-4F95-BCC9-19ADE45A5A57.jpeg
    851F0AEC-A606-4F95-BCC9-19ADE45A5A57.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 7F934056-FBF8-4AA5-AB5D-AF3603D842EC.jpeg
    7F934056-FBF8-4AA5-AB5D-AF3603D842EC.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 31
Beautiful photos, thanks for posting.

Peruvian food is very good, don’t forget to try the local cuisine! It does tend to be a bit spicy …

One of the advantages of traveling this time of year is that the crowds are much more manageable. Due to cancellations, our group of 8 trekkers is now only four. The two guys joining us on Wednesday are at least thirty years younger than us. We will be supported by 7 porters, a cook, and a guide.

Here are a couple of pics showing the range of local cuisine. One is cuy (guinea pig) sold from street venders. The other is grilled alpaca loin served at an upscale restaurant overlooking the Plaza de Armas. The latter was amazing; I was not adventurous enough to try the former.

Attachments

• 2ED53189-90AC-4C82-AA80-B70CDBAB698F.jpeg
    2ED53189-90AC-4C82-AA80-B70CDBAB698F.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 4A974224-6C83-4383-8617-808E2D82D3C4.jpeg
    4A974224-6C83-4383-8617-808E2D82D3C4.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 20
One of the advantages of traveling this time of year is that the crowds are much more manageable. Due to cancellations, our group of 8 trekkers is now only four. The two guys joining us on Wednesday are at least thirty years younger than us. We will be supported by 7 porters, a cook, and a guide.

Here are a couple of pics showing the range of local cuisine. One is cuy (guinea pig) sold from street venders. The other is grilled alpaca loin served at an upscale restaurant overlooking the Plaza de Armas. The latter was amazing; I was not adventurous enough to try the former.

You should try the cuy which we had at a nice restaurant.
Knowing I may not have another chance, I did not want to miss the opportunity. It was very good.

I hiked the Inca Trail in 2009! One of my favorite trips ever. Take tons of photos on the trail and savor every moment!

I've got my prescription for diamox...

Be aware of the side effects. I took one third the prescribed amount when I hiked Kilimanjaro last month. Pee'd like a race horse the entire time taking it, and for 3 days after. No altitude sickness though. YMMV.

You should try the cuy which we had at a nice restaurant.
Knowing I may not have another chance, I did not want to miss the opportunity. It was very good.

I tried it today. The flavor was good, but it was difficult to eat with lots of tiny bones.

Starting Inca Trail tomorrow. Our pickup is at 4 a.m. Today was the Sacred Valley. We are loving this country so far.

Back
Top Bottom