How to fight jetlag for a 2 week trip to France?

Sorry, not to be critical of you, but have we really come to the point where jet lag is a medical disorder? I guess we should call it JLD so big pharma can make more money from it!

No offense taken. I brought it up because it's not a well know option. Over the years, I've found the best way for me to get rid of jet lag is exercise. I was in Europe (+9 hrs) in June and was able to get rid of jet jag in about 2 days because I was walking 8-10 miles a day. Didn't have any problems sleeping through the night after the second day. On the other hand, it took me about a week and a half to get over jet lag when I returned home.

..I just looked up tasimelteon and it's a "melatonin receptor agonist", so I'm left wondering if it would be similar to melatonin in it's effects...

Back when I was a wage slave and traveling to business meeting in Asia, I tried OTC melatonin several times and it had no effect on me. By the time I was over jet lag I was getting on another plane to come home. The first night I was on Tasimelteon I slept through the night and had to be woken up by the sleep technician the next morning. This was the first time in all my years of travel where I wasn't wide awake at 3am local time.

No offense taken. I brought it up because it's not a well know option. Over the years, I've found the best way for me to get rid of jet lag is exercise. I was in Europe (+9 hrs) in June and was able to get rid of jet jag in about 2 days because I was walking 8-10 miles a day. Didn't have any problems sleeping through the night after the second day. On the other hand, it took me about a week and a half to get over jet lag when I returned home.

No worries, I suffer from TAW (tired after work) sometimes and often TAYW (tired after yard work) on the weekends. I can't wait for a cure!

I have positive jet lag when I get home. I find myself getting up early full of energy for several days. I do feel tired at night but seldom have trouble staying up to by normal bedtime.

It is very simple. You can not magically over come jet lag. It takes time.

Therefore the sensible answer is to already be on local time before you arrive.

I find it much better to adjust at home first instead of wasting the precious time on a trip feeling bad.

Everyone I talk to about this thinks it is a strange thing to do.

They are wrong :)

Fully agree, adjust to new time zone before travel as best you can. Additionally, don’t nap or sleep during daytime on day of arrival as that will set you back. Keep busy, have an early dinner and go to bed just a little early on day of arrival.

I would not try to adjust to the time zone when it is 8 hours ahead. That would mean I go to bed earlier and would get up earlier in California (I can't sleep more the 7 hours or so). If I get up earlier then the flight day is going to be very long indeed.

Had it TERRIBLE in May.
Anything prebooked the 1st 2 days I scrapped.
Slept maybe 45 min + 45 min in 24 hrs of travel day.

Flew from TX to Rome Tues, overnight Ties, arriving noon yesterday. Did manage more sleep if highly fitful on the plane—perhaps 4 hrs
BUT we tried Jet Lag Rooster plan (Timeshifter app works too) to shift our sleeping a bit a few days b4. Also bought homoeopathic Jet Lag pills (Amazon.).
Managed a walking tour last night; slightly tired but nothing like May! It’s free (jet lag plan), & painless—try it!

I used to do a ton of international travel when I was working. Now, it's just for fun!

Going east, my strategy would be to drink as much water as I could on the plane and sleep as much as possible as well (it helped if I only got a few hours of sleep the night before). Oh, and only fly business class (not sure I could sleep even a few minutes in PE). When you get to your destination, whatever you do, DO NOT go to sleep. Normally from the US, flights will arrive in the morning, and hotels are used to Americans coming in early and can often accommodate.

Once at the hotel, unpack, have a quick shower, and GET OUTSIDE. Yes, you'll be tired, but power through, and sunshine is your friend. Try and stay up until at least 9PM and the next day you'll be on local time.
This has worked well for me. The first day is a push, but you adjust quickly to the local time by pushing through. If you get early check-in, do take a shower for the refreshing qualities. But don't nap or crash. Get outside and explore... Even if it's just riding one of those hop on hop off buses.

Early check-in and crashing actually extends the jet lag duration because you remain time shifted.

Going east, my strategy would be to drink as much water as I could on the plane and sleep as much as possible as well (it helped if I only got a few hours of sleep the night before). Oh, and only fly business class (not sure I could sleep even a few minutes in PE). When you get to your destination, whatever you do, DO NOT go to sleep. Normally from the US, flights will arrive in the morning, and hotels are used to Americans coming in early and can often accommodate.
I have flying business class at the top of my BTD list! But, I feel that it will only be worth it on trips to Europe from Chicago if I can fall asleep after they feed us. Otherwise, flying PE is fine with me as I get most of the benefits of flying in business for half the cost. That depends on the airline of course. Some treat PE passengers better than others. On LOT, I get priority check-in, boarding, and baggage handling with my PE ticket, but on other airlines I'm often boarding with the coach classes.

We have never figured out how to beat jet lag despite years of travel, business and leisure, and trying various things.

When we fly to Bangkok (after 23 hrs elapsed time) we typically arrive at 11:30PM. In our hotel and in bed by 1AM. We wake up the next morning at 9, have a leisurely breakfast and we are good to go. No jet lag. Coming home is the opposite. We spend days trying to catch up and waking up in the middle of the night.

Going to Europe is the same. No issue. Arrive mid morning/mid afternoon. Hotel, shower, maybe a one hour nap. Then we are out and about. In bed by 10PM that night. Next morning all is well, no jet lag. Returning is the opposite though not as bad as SE Asia or Oz.

It is the same for both of us even though I can sleep on the plane and will drink red wine. But I do get up and walk the aisles. Don't bother with the airline food very much though. DW does the same but drinks lots of water but does not sleep very much. No difference really on how jetlag seems to impact each of us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom