How to fight jetlag for a 2 week trip to France?

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We will be joining a 2 week tour to France beginning August 9th. We booked Delta premium economy seats. The flights are:

LAX (9:00AM) to Detroit (4:32PM) -- flight time: 4 1/2 hours
Detroit (6:15PM) to Paris (8/10, 8:10AM) --- flight time: 8 hours

Since we leave LAX early after a night's sleep, I think I am going to have trouble falling asleep on the flights. I am a light sleeper. Maybe on the second leg I can try to sleep a couple of hours, but they will be serving meal right around my PST midnight hours.

DW purchased tickets to visit Louvre on day of arrival at 1:00PM. The worst case for me would be without much sleep after 15 hours of flights, then have to be awake for another 12 hours before I can finally sleep at the hotel.

I tried melatonin in the past, but no obvious effect on me. Maybe I should stay up the night before I board in LAX, so I can try to sleep on the flights, but what if I cannot sleep and have to be awake for a total of 30 hours? Walking around Louvre will be a disaster for me.

After the first day, there will be bus trips. At least I can dose off there and no need to drive.

Any suggestions how you would batter this odd situation?

DW purchased tickets to visit Louvre on day of arrival at 1:00PM. The worst case for me would be without much sleep after 15 hours of flights, then have to be awake for another 12 hours before I can finally sleep at the hotel.

Yeah that's not a good idea for the Louvre, it'll be a waste. For day 1, your best bet is to arrange for an early check in with the hotel -even if you have to pay for it, which hopefully has black-out-drapes, and crash, at least rest, and then make it out for dinner. We had a similar flight but only from FL, and I remember walking around that morning in kind of a daze, for a couple of hours as it was noon before we could check in. Don't plan anything for day 1 other than having an idea of places to eat near your hotel.

Yeah that's not a good idea for the Louvre, it'll be a waste. For day 1, your best bet is to arrange for an early check in with the hotel -even if you have to pay for it, which hopefully has black-out-drapes, and crash, at least rest, and then make it out for dinner.

That's been my strategy over the years: get a hotel asap where you can shower, nap and regroup even if you have to pay for it.. Best money you'll spend all trip. Melatonin "seemed" to work but can't swear to it. Agree on not hitting the Louvre right out of the gate.

I would sometimes deliberately book a long layover in Amsterdam, where there's a hotel inside of security, get 4 or 5 hours sleep, shower and hit the night in Paris in fairy good shape.

Option 2, but not recommended, is to just drag yourself around until bedtime on the first day, crash and somewhat recover after 10 hours of sleep.

Our last trip, we took a flight from Boston to London that left Boston at 7am and ARRIVED at 7pm. We had a late dinner, hit the sack around midnight and had ZERO jet lag all week long.

Generally, you need 1 day per time zone to fully reset yourself. I was terminally jet lagged for 30 years...traveler's joke: "you know it's time to go home when you start waking up at 7am"

"Jet lag is my favorite drug" Jacques Cousteau

Last edited:
Another option if you have access to airport lounges is that some of them have showers you can use on arrival. That alone can make a big difference in how you feel.

It is very simple. You can not magically over come jet lag. It takes time.

Therefore the sensible answer is to already be on local time before you arrive.

I find it much better to adjust at home first instead of wasting the precious time on a trip feeling bad.

Everyone I talk to about this thinks it is a strange thing to do.

They are wrong :)

I would be more worried about flight delays and missing the 1pm tour. Can you even dump your luggage off in time, let alone take a shower?

We can't sleep on a plane, even laying down, so we fight through it until around 7-8 pm the next night (strong coffee on arrival and walking once we are there). Neither one of us has jet lag the next day.

I've read that meal timing has a big effect on our circadian rhythm, and adjusting meal times to coincide with your destination can help with jet lag.

Back in May we had a direct flight to Paris from the east coast, we departed at 4:30PM and arrived at at 7AM. We were in United Polaris so got some sleep. We got to our hotel around 10:30, and they let us check in early. While our body clocks were at 3AM, we chose to stay up for as long as possible. We went for a walk along the Seine River and ended visiting Saint-Chapelle, (the outside of) Notre Dame, walking around, and eating dinner before going back to the hotel. I think we crashed around 9PM Paris time, so it was not quite 24 hours, but it helped us adjust.

I realize we have a 3 hour advantage as compared to the west coast, but I agree with trying to adjust to the destination local time as soon as possible. We did not feel tired at all walking around Paris right after arriving, perhaps due to the adrenaline excitement of being there.

I'm in the UK now, flying from Boston to Heathrow about ten days ago. I considered doing the daytime flight that Marko recommended, but ended up doing a conventional overnight flight.
Only a six hour flight and five timezones for me, about half of the OP's journey.

I managed to get into my room around 12:30pm after waiting 90 minutes. Couldn't really nap much, so I went to a small local museum followed by a pub stop for Sunday Roast.

Problem for me is more the biological clock than my absolute tiredness level. I really wanted to sleep around 8-9 am London time (3-4 am Boston time) the first day or two, but if I do that, I'll slow the transition...

My strategy for trips to Europe from Chicago is to try and get some rest on the flight, and then stay awake upon arrival. But, I never schedule anything of significance for that first day. I like to fly in premium economy class too, but I still can't fall into a deep sleep on the plane. However, they feed you dinner shortly after takeoff and then they darken the plane so take whatever sleep aids you think might help; neck pillow, noise canceling headphones, warm clothing (planes are freaking cold these days), and make the best of it. The upshot to this approach is that, after that first day, you're time-shifted pretty well.

Can you try changing your tickets to the Louvre? That would be best. Arrange to drop your bags off and then just go for a walk in Paris after you arrive. Find a cafe to sit down and have a siesta. You're on vacation! Check into your room, unpack, shower & change clothes and then go out for dinner. Take a stroll after dinner, and then bed down early. Have fun.

It is very simple. You can not magically over come jet lag. It takes time.

Therefore the sensible answer is to already be on local time before you arrive.

I find it much better to adjust at home first instead of wasting the precious time on a trip feeling bad.

Everyone I talk to about this thinks it is a strange thing to do.

They are wrong :)

When I was at home I'd be on Tokyo time. I'd no sooner be on home time and it'd be time to head back to Tokyo. :LOL:

Sleeping on the plane has been my most successful strategy for avoiding jet lag. But for me that requires business class.

Another option if you have access to airport lounges is that some of them have showers you can use on arrival. That alone can make a big difference in how you feel.
I flew business class, and the departure lounge was great, but on arrival, I wasn't granted entry... I was told it wasn't an arrival lounge. That's when it would have been more valuable to me...at 6AM local time, I could have cleaned up and napped a bit before getting the rental car.

I've tried to shift my internal clock by some hours in the week leading up to the trip east. Somewhat successful, but there is no easy answer to going east. Just leave down time.

Going west is easier; they're giving you hours instead of taking them. You go to bed a bit early and have a long night. If you don't sleep, so what? Get up when locally appropriate and it's minimumally impactful on the system, IME.

Two suggestions to reset your circadian rhythm:

>> A week before your trip, start shifting your internal clock to more closely resemble "Paris time" by going to bed earlier and earlier each day. (An hour each day, if you can manage it.)

>> While traveling en route to Paris, start wearing sunglasses at the time it would be dark in Paris, wear them ALL the time that you are awake, and only stop wearing the sunglasses (when you are awake) when you are served breakfast about an hour from arriving in Paris.

In practice, this means keeping your sunglasses and an eye mask close at hand:

• start wearing sunglasses when you arrive in Detroit,
  • all the time at the Detroit airport, and then
  • while awake on the Detroit-Paris flight until breakfast is served.
While on board the plane, try to avoid all things that bring any light to your eyes (such as watching TV/movies, or reading).
Only stay awake (and wear your sunglasses!) until they serve you dinner at ~8-9pm, then put on your eye mask, put in some decent ear plugs, take a 'sleeping aid' pill you can buy at WalMart or CVS, and try to sleep.
If you can't doze off, at least keep your eyes closed with an eye mask over them.
If you have to get up and use the restroom, wear your sunglasses, then when you get back to your seat, put your eye mask back on.

Tip: Stay hydrated and avoid drinking too much alcohol (even though it's free aloft).

I have used the 'sunglasses and eye mask' technique on my last 10-12 trips to Europe and it has made a HUGE improvement in how I feel on arrival and how quickly I adapt to local time.

I also find that a one-to-two hour (maximum) nap on the afternoon of my day of arrival helps to 'refresh' me as well.

Bon voyage!
omni

I've read that meal timing has a big effect on our circadian rhythm, and adjusting meal times to coincide with your destination can help with jet lag.

This is part of my strategy combined with getting enough sleep leading up to the trip, lots of water, little/no alcohol, getting enough sunlight at the destination. It still takes me a couple of days before I don't feel a need for an afternoon nap but I don't feel like a zombie.

When I'm fully rested leading up to a trip, I feel I can handle the weird hours a bit better. When working, I'd work crazy hours leading up to the trip trying to tie up loose threads before I left so the jetlag seemed pretty bad since I was exhausted and was in sleep debt. And dehydration and alcohol messes up my sleep.

Agree with Omni, except I would avoid all alcohol. And, stop caffeine now. Deplete your body so when you land in Paris an expresso can perk you up.
Pack a change of clothes in your carry on and find a place to shower when you land. Either early check in or an airport lounge. You'll be fine - enjoy the trip.

... Any suggestions how you would batter this odd situation?
Is this a new thing for you? 9 hours time change is not a small thing, of course, but in years of international travel I have not found jet lag to be a big deal, including travel from the midwest to asia. I get three glasses of red wine from the flight attendants, then conk out for however many hours that fate gives me. On arrival, DW and I just go with the flow using local time. First night's sleep might involve some tossing and turning, but after that all is fine. YMMV of course, but if this is a new thing for you I think you may be unnecessarily concerned.

I always stay awake when I arrive and don’t go to bed until it’s 9pm local time. Then it’s easier to adjust to the local time.

We make the trip 3+ times a year, from CA to the EU. I've not tried the Omni sunglasses approach but it does make sense when trying to fall asleep. For a morning arrival, we do tend to take a 60 to 90 minute nap upon arrival (but not after 4 pm). But it is very important to spend a considerable amount of time outside, to get your body exposed to real sunlight. Spending the afternoon in the Louvre is not a good choice. Go to the Tulleries, Champ de Mars, etc Take some exercise in the hotel gym before dinner. Try to stay up to at least 10 pm as well.

I think the wine thing is personal to how a body reacts -- a small amount may be enough to act as a relaxant. Too much is clearly counterproductive for most.

I always stay awake when I arrive and don’t go to bed until it’s 9pm local time. Then it’s easier to adjust to the local time.

Everyone is different, but I just returned home after 4 weeks in Europe. Our flight was similar in time to the OP, left El Paso at 11 am and arrived in Paris at 9 am. We checked our bags in at the hotel and then spent the rest of the day awake, until we went to bed around 10 pm. After the first day, we were acclimated to the time.

In my experience, the meal on these flights are served about 90 minutes after takeoff, so I don't think it would be too much later than what the OP is used to. While I did have a couple of glasses of wine during the meal, I stopped the alcohol after that. It turned out to be the most uncomfortable flight I have had and didn't get much sleep at all, but that apparently didn't affect me too much.

Sunset in Paris in the summer is about 90 minutes later than LA. We were always surprised how late it was when we were out in the evening.

Last edited:
I’m another Cold Turkey person. I do imbibe alcohol on the flight but not to excess, and dose myself with black coffee in the AM on landing. I am now too old to do the dazed wandering with my roller bag waiting to get into my hotel or rental. I pay for the night before and make it very clear I’m arriving early the next AM.

Staying out in natural light is good to help acclimate but you’ll still need sleep. Play it by ear on the Louvre; might be OK or you might need a nap. Maybe get tickets for another day, too.

We can't sleep on a plane, even laying down, so we fight through it until around 7-8 pm the next night (strong coffee on arrival and walking once we are there). Neither one of us has jet lag the next day.

+1

I’ve found the key, for me at least, is to do the best I can on the plane (not much for me) and soldier through the first day in the new time zone as late as I can. I’ve been from eastern time US to Bahrain as well as from US to Tokyo. Somehow one of the worst was from US to Chile - ten hours on the plane all in the same time zone.

Brutal but you get over it within a day or two. Good luck and have fun!

Everyone is different, however this technique you describe works for me. It doesn't matter flying east or west I never sleep while the sun is up at my destination. It is a fight and can be excruciating but walking around outside in the sunshine, even if cloudy or raining is how I synchronize my circadian rhythm. I was a road warrior for almost 10 years and learned this from fellow road warriors.

The other thing I do is I have a GMT watch (two time zones) and always set my watch to the destination time zone and the GMT hand to departure time zone. I play a mind game with myself and imagine I'm in London or Tokyo or wherever I'm headed from the day before. By the time I'm at the airport checking in my brain is sufficiently confused but at least half the way there. The only way I can sleep on planes is with Ativan prescribed by my doctor as I cannot sleep on planes without assistance. One week before I depart I "practice" with Ativan one evening after dinner to be sure it results in the expected effect.

By doing this highly disciplined routine I never experience jetlag, other than my digestion and hunger patterns may be skewed it catches up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom