Road Trips 2023

To California and back last week, so nice to see Shasta Lake full again!
The last few trips have been quite sad to see how low it was.

I'm starting to plan my trip from Yorktown, VA to Nova Scotia. I'd like any tips anyone has!
There's an exhibit on the Titanic in Halifax that was very good when we saw it about 15 years ago. I see that it is now part of a larger museum. The museum website also describes an exhibit on the Halifax Explosion during WWI, which I suspect would be equally interesting.

Last edited:
Lot of road-trips planned for this summer yet: Denver, Flattop Mountains, Durango CO-Aztec NM, Ridgway CO, Goblin Valley UT, Aspen, Paonia CO. Too much to do within 2-4 hours of our house. We can’t board our puppy yet, so we’re driving for vacations.

We are heading there and on to Newfoundland in 2 weeks assuming the fire and smoke situation in Quebec doesn't escalate further, Pray for Rain!!![/QUOTE]

Please report!

We have an airbnb rented in Breckenridge, CO for five nights coming up soon. We have been there many times but I was looking for day trip ideas in the area? Thanks in advance!

We just got back from a 14 day Pacific Northwest road trip and it was spectacular! We started in Seattle and then Portland to visit some relatives. Then we made our way down the OR/CA coast. Stayed at Cannon Beach OR, Gleneden Beach OR, Langlois OR, Garberville CA, and Mendocino CA. The Oregon coast and Redwoods in CA has been a long time "to do" trip and we finally got motivated to make the trek from the east coast... so worth it. We still have the post trip happy glow!

We have an airbnb rented in Breckenridge, CO for five nights coming up soon. We have been there many times but I was looking for day trip ideas in the area? Thanks in advance!

Do a day trip to Salida. Hike Boreas Pass.

We just got back from a 14 day Pacific Northwest road trip and it was spectacular! We started in Seattle and then Portland to visit some relatives. Then we made our way down the OR/CA coast. Stayed at Cannon Beach OR, Gleneden Beach OR, Langlois OR, Garberville CA, and Mendocino CA. The Oregon coast and Redwoods in CA has been a long time "to do" trip and we finally got motivated to make the trek from the east coast... so worth it. We still have the post trip happy glow!

Done quite a bit of traveling Oregon coast and northern CA coastal redwoods and love that area. Last time we headed from Portland to Seattle we spent several days exploring the Mount St Helen’s area. This was back when we were living and traveling in a motorhome full time.

Thanks for bringing back the memories. Most of my childhood vacations were camping in various places along the California coast and Pacific Northwest. We especially enjoyed Jedediah Smith state park near Crescent City. Both our wedding proposal and honeymoon were at the Ashland Shakespeare festival, three years apart.

Heading out on a road trip in the Scooby van to sequoia national park. We just drove to Yosemite last month so we're putting a lot of miles on I-5 and 99 through the central valley so far this year.

I'm considering a Fall trip from Texas to Oregon and back to visit an Air Force compadre of mine I haven't seen in person since 1965. He lives in Salem, OR and we have been communicating via email and phone for years now.

May also visit some family from my departed wife's side in central California and an ex worker friend in New Mexico.

I have to start mapping this route out.

Heading to one of the hidden gem regions of Colorado. Rustic, gorgeous, classic Colorado. Home to some famous folks wishing to stay below the radar and it is not Aspen, Telluride or places like that. Most, likely have never heard of it, though it’s the place that inspired John Denver’s song “Rocky Mountain High.” Care to guess where? The photo is one clue.

Attachments

• ED4E4641-D384-4088-87A9-B2A4EC65BA06.jpeg
    ED4E4641-D384-4088-87A9-B2A4EC65BA06.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 47
I'm considering a Fall trip from Texas to Oregon and back to visit an Air Force compadre of mine I haven't seen in person since 1965. He lives in Salem, OR and we have been communicating via email and phone for years now.

May also visit some family from my departed wife's side in central California and an ex worker friend in New Mexico.

That’s a really long drive. We did it in the motorhome a few times but took several months, ha ha.

Warmer weather we would go via I 84.

Last edited:
That’s a really long drive. We did it in the motorhome a few times but took several months, ha ha.

Warmer weather we would go via I 84.

I'm looking at about three+ weeks, but it may move to four. I may change my mind and fly to Oregon and rent a car for a couple of weeks and just visit central Ca and back to OR and fly home. That would leave NM for another trip.

Yes, about 5,000 miles may be a bit much all in one monthly trip. I went to NC, PA, and CT during my May trip and back and that was not too bad. That took about three weeks total.

I want to get all this in before I turn 80 later this year before i start to go downhill....LOL!!:D

Speaking of going downhill, in Oregon “Cabbage Hill” (aka “Deadman Pass”) on I84 was always really exciting in the motorhome, although the 2nd stage Jake brake really did all the work. Still major curves. I (driver) never got to enjoy the view like DH did.

I suppose if you are visiting central CA, you may not cross into Oregon that way.

After our last return from the Olympic Peninsula WA (no longer RV full timing) we decided it was just too far to drive anymore. We fly and rent.

Last edited:
Heading to one of the hidden gem regions of Colorado. Rustic, gorgeous, classic Colorado. Home to some famous folks wishing to stay below the radar and it is not Aspen, Telluride or places like that. Most, likely have never heard of it, though it’s the place that inspired John Denver’s song “Rocky Mountain High.” Care to guess where? The photo is one clue.

Wikpedia says Aspen but I'm going to guess the treeline around Williams Lake.

Wikpedia says Aspen but I'm going to guess the treeline around Williams Lake.

No. The “I’ve seen fire in the sky” line comes from a camping trip to this area as told by his first wife. It was a meteor shower.
Two more photos with hints.

Attachments

• IMG_3826.jpg
    IMG_3826.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3810.jpg
    IMG_3810.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 33
No. The “I’ve seen fire in the sky” line comes from a camping trip to this area as told by his first wife. It was a meteor shower.
Two more photos with hints.

That's so beautiful. My wife often remembers things better than me.
My "guess" came from what is supposedly a passage in his autobiography.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/john-denver/rocky-mountain-high

Also from:

https://www.protrails.com/trail/793/aspen-snowmass-williams-lake

Have fun. Amazing mountains.

Not epic, but changing our altitude and attitude this morning. It's about 90 miles and a world away to the middle of the Cascades to unplug and unwind beside a river.
PXL-20210706-010814113-MP.jpg

If you have time, Crater Lake is a must see, however, sometimes the snow is already present by September.
It is a long drive though! My folks lived in Dallas many years ago. DH and I flew down and drove Dads old car back.

That's so beautiful. My wife often remembers things better than me.
My "guess" came from what is supposedly a passage in his autobiography.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/john-denver/rocky-mountain-high

Also from:

https://www.protrails.com/trail/793/aspen-snowmass-williams-lake

Have fun. Amazing mountains.

I saw a recorded interview with Annie. She referenced the part of Colorado where John used to camp often. That is the answer I was looking for. I’ll post the answer at some later date if no one figures it out.

Back
Top Bottom