Road Trips 2023

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
(‘Cause why not?)

Recent quick trip to Corpus Christi we finally got to explore the aircraft carrier USS Lexington which is now a museum docked there.

Imagine our surprise when we discovered the F-14 used in the movie Top Gun parked on the flight deck. The pilot and RIO names are painted below the cockpit just like in the movie.

That’s a Blue Angels F-18 obscured on the left. ETA: decided to add that photo too.

Attachments

• C179532D-4AB8-472C-B860-87C6A62F3C18.jpeg
    C179532D-4AB8-472C-B860-87C6A62F3C18.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 104
  • D7CCCB05-A010-4733-9AB5-E4D88CA6BF20.jpg
    D7CCCB05-A010-4733-9AB5-E4D88CA6BF20.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
We've been camping in Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree in the scooby van so far this year. Plans for Yosemite in June, and Sequoia/Kings Canyon in July. (We have non-road trip travel in between now and then.) We're looking at a long scooby van road trip in the fall - to Florida, up to North Carolina, up to Philly, over to Michigan, down to Kentucky, then home... All stops have family members living there.

This is our road trip vehicle. (not as sweet as your tesla... LOL)

Attachments

• scoobyVan.jpg
    scoobyVan.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
We were going to drive to FL in a couple of months, but our TS reservation just got cancelled as the resort repairs from hurricane are going slower than expected..

We’re on a road trip now. Illinois to Arizona stay there a while. Then to Dallas for a while. Then home.

Another road trip Illinois to Colorado/ Wyoming in the summer.

Another road trip to Glacier in late summer.

Maybe a fall color road trip. Most of our trips are road trips

We’re on a road trip now. Illinois to Arizona stay there a while. Then to Dallas for a while. Then home.

Another road trip Illinois to Colorado/ Wyoming in the summer.

Another road trip to Glacier in late summer.

Maybe a fall color road trip. Most of our trips are road trips

Post some pics! :D

I'm heading to Cary, NC to visit a relative and his family Sunday morning. First trip since before Covid (2019). Going solo from now on!

We've been camping in Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree in the scooby van so far this year. Plans for Yosemite in June, and Sequoia/Kings Canyon in July. (We have non-road trip travel in between now and then.) We're looking at a long scooby van road trip in the fall - to Florida, up to North Carolina, up to Philly, over to Michigan, down to Kentucky, then home... All stops have family members living there.

It's not comfortable sleeping/cooking in a Tesla.

Plus, Teslas do not have the same ground clearance as your van.

Already done several 3-4 night camping trips so far. Plans in the works for a 3 week trip to NY with the Grandson, with several historic stops including a few days at Gettysburg.

We have 3 differant 4/5 nite glamping trips coming up this month. Then in April we will do a 4 night with our DGD during her spring break, and then a 2 week trip to Myrtle Beach SC with a week siteseeing going and coming! No long trips this year planned just mostly 3 to 4 night local camping trips thru the week since we can get into the campgrounds weekdays much easier then. We let the young folks have the weekends to do their thing!

Our winter trip to our CO cabin is coming to an end. Rather than taking the typical route back to Louisiana through the Texas panhandle we're swinging through Arizona to visit friends. Looking at our route we've passed near Monument Valley many times but for some reason have never visited. So my DW got on the phone and was able to book an unavailable premium view room (not available on their website) at The View hotel for one night. Gotta spend the night somewhere so why not looking at Monument Valley sunset and sunrise.

I'm heading to Cary, NC to visit a relative and his family Sunday morning. First trip since before Covid (2019). Going solo from now on!

Glad to hear that you are going on a trip and visiting relatives. Going solo means that you can do exactly want you want to do. Treat yourself well and have fun.

I've been doing semi-annual road trips around the southwest (AZ, UT, CO, NM) for the last few years combining mountain biking with seeing places that are new and sometimes visiting friends and family that have moved out of state.

This spring it hopefully will be in state: Central CA (SLO) & Northern CA (Santa Cruz). Never mountain biked either and am looking forward to it.

Fall trip is tentatively Tahoe area.

I remember a thread where you talked about getting the van and that you were going to redo it. I must have missed seeing the end of the thread. I wondered why you always referred to it as your Scooby Van. I went back and read that thread. Your Scooby Van is too cool. Glad that you are having fun with it.

So we decided to drive out to Anza Borrego to see if the desert flowers were blooming, in part because of this thread. Looks like next week it the week after will have more blooms. And other plants were done already.

Great weather, nice hike followed by lunch. Very pleasant road trip.

IMG_20230303_130956_197.jpgIMG_20230303_130956_401.jpgIMG_20230303_130956_328.jpgIMG_20230303_130956_386.jpgIMG_20230303_130956_411.jpgPXL_20230303_202650957.jpgPXL_20230303_201242168.jpg

So we decided to drive out to Anza Borrego to see if the desert flowers were blooming, in part because of this thread. Looks like next week it the week after will have more blooms. And other plants were done already.

Great weather, nice hike followed by lunch. Very pleasant road trip.

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Planning to head back to Vegas later this month but the DW doesn't really want to go. These long distance road trips are getting to be too much for her even when I do all the driving and we stop a few nights along the way at very nice hotels. :( She told me she's okay if I want to go by myself...(Which I've done before)

Planning to head back to Vegas later this month but the DW doesn't really want to go. These long distance road trips are getting to be too much for her even when I do all the driving and we stop a few nights along the way at very nice hotels. :( She told me she's okay if I want to go by myself...(Which I've done before)

I feel like your DW does. But it's fun to read about all the trips forum members have planned or have done this year! Honestly I'm so glad everyone is having fun in their own way. To me that's what ER is really all about! :D

Frank and I just have no desire to travel these days. We talked about road trips last night, and he suggested driving up to the Cabela's in Gonzales, Louisiana (just south of Baton Rouge about 50-60 miles up I-10 from here). Then I said, "well OK, do you want to do that? We could!" and he said he really didn't so that was the end of that conversation. We do have good memories of driving up there 20 years ago, together.

W2R take River road and you'll enjoy the drive more. Or cross the river and go through Thibodaux then back to Donaldsonville to cross the river. Much nicer than I-10.

Made Birmingham, AL today from the Houston area. Tomorrow, I hope to roll into Cary, NC around 5:00 PM. (visiting family) - First trip without a sidekick in many years.

How long is your drive from home to Las Vegas? If it needs a few nights of hotel stays, why not fly?

We have a driving trip planned in June for our 40th wedding anniversary. We have Airbnb nights planned in Breckenridge, CO and then we want to go on to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. We've been to Breck many times, but the Black Canyon Park would be new to us. We usually stop one night on the way out to help get used to the altitude.

Back
Top Bottom