Roatan Report

I am also no-see-um bait. After a trip to St. Pete last summer, I had over 100 bites and my husband had none. To me, the itch from the no-see-ums is longer and stronger than mosquito bites. I finally figured out the bug spray was not working so long pants tucked into my socks was my solution during our last trip in December. Cortisone cream took some of the itch out for me. Hope they clear up soon.

Anansi said:
For a mix of snorkling and diving, you might want to check out Bonaire. Most of the dive sites are so close to shore that most diving is done from a pick up truck, not a boat. Very convienient for snorkling or diving with beautiful coral and a lot of sea life.

My next trip will be either Bonaire or Grand Cayman. The latter only because I'm trying to lure my 80 yr. old Dad and SM to go somewhere for the holidays and that would be fairly easy to get to and possibly more for them to do since they don't dive.

Buckeye said:
I am also no-see-um bait. After a trip to St. Pete last summer, I had over 100 bites and my husband had none. To me, the itch from the no-see-ums is longer and stronger than mosquito bites. I finally figured out the bug spray was not working so long pants tucked into my socks was my solution during our last trip in December. Cortisone cream took some of the itch out for me. Hope they clear up soon.

Oh, yeah, they are way worse than mosquitos for me. I forgot to take the cotrisone cream with me, and none of the stores sold it. Duh! They could have made a good profit on importing a couple cases of the stuff. After two weeks at home I only have a few itchy spots left.

They sell this stuff, and claim it is formulated specifically for the sand fleas. I bought a bottle about 3 days into my visit, but I didn't seem to really even slow them down.

http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

Sheryl, your comment about the cortisone cream being unavailable reminded me of one of our trips to Placencia (just up the reef, in Belize)...I got a sunburn on the backs of my legs (yep, way up there) snorkeling one day, and would have paid any sum of money for a can of Solarcaine! Now I never travel without it--but haven't been burned again (I bought cheap sunscreen--ONCE).

Placencia is also a nice destination, not as busy as Ambergris Caye in Belize, and the very nice reef areas just offshore are wonderful for diving/snorkeling. We went to Glover's Reef for a few days and stayed in thatched huts, did our own cooking, boys hunted lobsters on the reef with sticks, etc. Great fun, no showers!

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom