Space encroachment on flights

I can't dig deep enough to find DS and his family in my own home town....
Same here, but I am very fortunate that my son who does not live here lives an 800 mile easy flight right down the coast.

It is nice being in the same time zone also, as all sorts of communications are easier.

Ha

That's what elbows are for. I got some mean ones.

I recall one time, someone started to lift the armrest, I put my elbow and weight on it, they gave up, maybe they thought it was stuck ?
Or too embarrassed to to say "could we lift this up so I can expand over to part of your seat". ?

You would think at some point the Airlines will hit diminishing returns. The smaller the seats get and bigger the inconvenience, the more people will find alternatives to flying or giving it up. They will be limited to those that must travel by air.

This thread is the best advertising for motorhome travels I've seen in a long time!

The last time I flew was back home from the Canary Islands. And the person behind me kept knocking his knee into the back of my seat - obviously listening to music. I were halfway to sleep but never quite got there. But too tired to address the person knowing that would make me wide awake.

You would think at some point the Airlines will hit diminishing returns. The smaller the seats get and bigger the inconvenience, the more people will find alternatives to flying or giving it up. They will be limited to those that must travel by air.

I think there's been a lot of that. Certainly when you add drive time to and from the airport at either end, having to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time, and all the additional aggravation, driving becomes a better option for those of us who have the time, or those for whom drive time is shorter than door-to-door using the airlines. What's left are business travelers who don't have the additional time to drive longer distances, people with limited vacation time who need to get there and back fast, and those of us who want to cross oceans and continents.

DH and I gave up flying from KC to Myrtle Beach at Christmas years ago. A leisurely road trip over a couple of nights was SO much more civilized and also allowed us to visit family in Charlotte and Charleston. Last Christmas I did it on my own- 2,500 miles on the car over 9 days. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

Ha ha! I usually save the elbows (and the stiff shoulder and upper arm that goes with them) for big young guys who march straight at me on the street or in the mall, expecting me to give way. In an airplane, though, might be a way to attract the kind of attention we don't want from the crew.

That's what elbows are for. I got some mean ones.

I think there's been a lot of that. Certainly when you add drive time to and from the airport at either end, having to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time, and all the additional aggravation, driving becomes a better option for those of us who have the time, or those for whom drive time is shorter than door-to-door using the airlines. What's left are business travelers who don't have the additional time to drive longer distances, people with limited vacation time who need to get there and back fast, and those of us who want to cross oceans and continents.

DH and I gave up flying from KC to Myrtle Beach at Christmas years ago. A leisurely road trip over a couple of nights was SO much more civilized and also allowed us to visit family in Charlotte and Charleston. Last Christmas I did it on my own- 2,500 miles on the car over 9 days. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

Within the mainland USA, I just don't think I would be willing to fly anymore unless DW absolutely insists. In addition to the hassles of the airport experience, one then typically needs to rent a car.

The main thing I dislike about cross-country car trips is finding acceptable (and affordable) accommodations for the night. Several years ago, we ran into bed bugs. That instantly upped our budget for such stays though cost is no guarantee.

I just hope at some point I can relax my perceived-value-per-dollar standards and begin to spring for 1st or business class. Until that day, I intend to reserve flying for over-water adventures. Now, if they ever get the bridge to the Islands completed.... YMMV

Ha ha! I usually save the elbows (and the stiff shoulder and upper arm that goes with them) for big young guys who march straight at me on the street or in the mall, expecting me to give way. In an airplane, though, might be a way to attract the kind of attention we don't want from the crew.

They're not refusing to give way; they don't see you. Once you hit menopause, you become invisible to men. It's like having a superpower. I like it as long as the young guy next to me on the plane doesn't set his laptop on my head while putting his carry-on in the overhead.

I'm kidding about the elbows, I've yet to elbow anybody. But I have no problem telling people directly what I really want. But honestly, I have not experienced sitting next to anybody who I find annoying when I was traveling for business, by myself.

I don't seem to be invisible; people always remember seeing me. The joke is that Amethyst could never commit a crime because she is easily identified. But I don't get catcalled any more, and that is a relief.

They're not refusing to give way; they don't see you. Once you hit menopause, you become invisible to men. .

They're not refusing to give way; they don't see you. Once you hit menopause, you become invisible to men. It's like having a superpower. I like it as long as the young guy next to me on the plane doesn't set his laptop on my head while putting his carry-on in the overhead.

YES! I often ask others in a dicey situation if they would like to climb under my cloak of middle-age invisibility.

I don't seem to be invisible; people always remember seeing me. The joke is that Amethyst could never commit a crime because she is easily identified. But I don't get catcalled any more, and that is a relief.

Totally off topic now, I know: Being male and never having had the "cat calling" problem (and, honestly, never participating in the cat calling) I've always wondered if females went through sort of a transition from being glad the cat calling is over to kind of wishing it were not over. I would admit to a little jealousy - always wondered what it would be like to have females "fawn" over me. I'm sure it would be one of those "Be careful what you wish for..." or Once is "nice", twice, is "okay", more than that is a PITA or down right revolting - well, probably never the latter for men being cat called by women.:cool::LOL::facepalm:

I personally know several females from early 60s to mid 80s I still find quite attractive. It may have something to do with the fact that I know their hearts (or is it soul or spirit - I'm never sure.) DW is 70 and I never find myself wishing I were married to someone else. Not suggesting I don't appreciate the younger set. Just sayin'... Returning you now to our discussion of lousy seating on flights, so YMMV.

Start a thread, and some of us will let you know how we feel about such "compliments." Lol
Totally off topic now, I know: Being male and never having had the "cat calling" problem (and, honestly, never participating in the cat calling) I've always wondered if females went through sort of a transition from being glad the cat calling is over to kind of wishing it were not over. I would admit to a little jealousy - always wondered what it would be like to have females "fawn" over me. I'm sure it would be one of those "Be careful what you wish for..." or Once is "nice", twice, is "okay", more than that is a PITA or down right revolting - well, probably never the latter for men being cat called by women.:cool::LOL::facepalm:

I personally know several females from early 60s to mid 80s I still find quite attractive. It may have something to do with the fact that I know their hearts (or is it soul or spirit - I'm never sure.) DW is 70 and I never find myself wishing I were married to someone else. Not suggesting I don't appreciate the younger set. Just sayin'... Returning you now to our discussion of lousy seating on flights, so YMMV.

This is extremely rude internet forum posting protocol behavior - while you correctly observed that you were straying from the original thread topic, [-]men wishing to be in your shoes [/-]forum decorum demands that you continue with your story with every minute detail in a new thread. ;)

Useless w/o pics...

The last time we flew, I promised myself that on the next flight I'd check out buying three seats for the two of us (all three seats in a row). Having that middle seat empty is huge to me. And, 50% more than coach is still cheaper than first class.

Does anybody else have experience with this?

I've been pretty happy paying for premium economy. On international airlines it really means something. Domestically not so much but it also costs less there. Your choice of airline matters the most. I fly JetBlue where I can in the US - avoid United/American/Delta.

The last time we flew, I promised myself that on the next flight I'd check out buying three seats for the two of us (all three seats in a row). Having that middle seat empty is huge to me. And, 50% more than coach is still cheaper than first class.

If the flight is full and they need the seat they'll consider it a no show and fill it. You'll be out the money.

No, because I like to play the credit card game so it's easy to get premium economy seats.

Any normal 6 ft guy without narrow shoulders does not fit into coach anymore. No room for knees and you need a small person to offset two guys in a 3 seat row. For the guys it is not their beer gut the steals others space, since it is in front of them, it is the shoulders. Even most fat guy's hips fit the a seat just fine.

If the flight is full and they need the seat they'll consider it a no show and fill it. You'll be out the money.

I think most airlines would find a way to allow you to do this although I bet you'd get frequent flyer credit for only one. It's really a civilized solution for large passengers who don't fit into a Coach seat as well as people who just want the extra space. My concern would be that some computer would assign seats in different rows! You might also have to deal with passengers who want to move from a seat with unpleasant seatmates to your empty one even though you paid for it.

Hard to predict how an airline will handle seating issues. Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

Attachments

• aisleseat.png
    aisleseat.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 36
Years ago, my sister and her husband would book an aisle and window seat and a carry-on infant. as long as the plane wasn't full, the middle seat remained open (who would want to sit between parents handing the kid back and forth?) Did I mention that they pinched my niece just after boarding to make sure she cried during the seating frenzy? The pinching was mean, but my niece didn't suffer much and the family usually ended up with a vacant middle seat!

Years ago, my sister and her husband would book an aisle and window seat and a carry-on infant. as long as the plane wasn't full, the middle seat remained open (who would want to sit between parents handing the kid back and forth?) Did I mention that they pinched my niece just after boarding to make sure she cried during the seating frenzy? The pinching was mean, but my niece didn't suffer much and the family usually ended up with a vacant middle seat!

Sorry, but that's just rude. I started buying my son his own seat well before he reached age 2 and brought his car seat (had to be an FAA-approved version) on board. Seated in a familiar space he was a lot calmer. Some of the most miserable travelers I've seen on planes are squirmy lap children, and the way they pack planes now that's what your sister and BIL most likely get if they tried to keep the middle seat empty.

Interesting strategy. Do you just put your name on two different seats?

Back
Top Bottom