Things to do in Valencia, Spain?

FIREd

Moderator Emeritus
Hi everyone,

I will be off in a few days to spend a week or so in Valencia, Spain. I've done some research to find what the local attractions are and I have found a few. But it almost feels like it's not really a touristy kind of town. Most travel guides seem to bypass Valencia entirely.

Things on my to-do list:
the cathedral, the Turia gardens, the oceanographico, mercado central, plaza de torros, maybe the botanical gardens.

Have any of you ever been there and do you have any suggestions?

I took spanish lessons there in 97. It is a nice place - get out of the central area and walk around. It is said to have a nice beach - I didn't go. The river has dried up a bit ant there are parks there now. They have a good tram system; again use it to get out of the central area to see how the locals live. I think there is a hovercraft you can take to Italy. To me it is a non touristy area that you can relax in and feel like a local.

If you can speak with the locals you will find it to be a laid back place.

Go sailing, America's Cup Challenge begins later in June, 2008. I'm sure the competitors are out practicing. Maybe tour the America's Cup dock area, if they let people.

Thanks guys,

dex, I will probably visit the typical tourist spots in the central area on the first day and then I'll try to explore other parts of town. My spanish is quite limited so I don't know how well I'll be able to connect with the locals. But I'll give it a try. My hotel is located quite centrally (right next to those dried-up-river gardens) so it should be easy to get around either on foot or by public transportation.

F-one, thanks for the tip. After looking it up on Google earth it appears that the America's cup harbor would be quite easily accessible from my hotel. I think I'll give it a try.

I believe there is a bodega near by that does Tio Pepe brandy/wines. It was a great tour. They had cask of brandy dating back hundreds of years.

I believe there is a bodega near by that does Tio Pepe brandy/wines. It was a great tour. They had cask of brandy dating back hundreds of years.

Thanks Rustic, I'll check it out. I definitely would like to taste some Spanish wines and spirits (especially sherries) while I'm there.

My bad, The Tio Pepe Bodega is near Sevillia Spain. On the coast, was great sea food! Also the LLadro factory is in Velincia (I think) We use to buy seconds when we were in Spain.

the aquarium in valencia is supposed to be nice. the biggest one in
europe.

also. valencia has a very good football club. that would fun if you
like that kind of thing.

the aquarium in valencia is supposed to be nice. the biggest one in
europe.

also. valencia has a very good football club. that would fun if you
like that kind of thing.

oops, you already mentioned the aquarium nevermind..

Back
Top Bottom