Total solar eclipse 2017

I waited too long to book in Oregon, so I am taking a different route - fly to New Orleans on the 19th, hop on Amtrak "City of New Orleans" to Carbondale, IL. In town from 0311 to 1615, then hop on Amtrak "Saluki" to Chicago, fly home the next morning

That's an interesting idea. Shouldn't have the traffic issues that driving will have if you can get into the middle of it, though you'd likely want a car to be flexible. I could catch the Crescent on Sunday night, arrive in Greenville SC in the morning, and catch the train back that evening. I'll have to think about that. If it was just me I'd probably book it since it can be cancelled, but my son is going to try to go too, and the overnight Monday night may not work for him.

You should be fine, I lived there 38 years. I've driven that in way less time!😂 Even World Series or Presidential visits wouldn't make you late. Your location in KC matters, downtown is closer to the airport then JOCO, Kansas, it will take a little longer. Still you should be early.

Are you tailgating first?

No grilling planned, but we'll have plenty of food and drinks on hand. If you're right about traffic, then we'll be there around the time they open at 6am. And we probably won't leave until about 3pm. So it's going to be a long day.

We are lucky. Backyard; 100%; 2 minutes, 21 seconds, just about 130 p.m. And just three weeks after retiring...

Glasses purchased, Fingers crossed for no clouds/rain (30-40% historic cloud cover area).

Maybe break out a bottle of aged sauternes?

We won't see the total eclipse from here in New Orleans, but IIRC around 75%-80%. We have no intention of traveling to see it.

Frank bought some special glasses for each of us, to protect our eyes as we watch from his back yard. He also bought some sort of filter or something for his telescope.

I'm less optimistic than he is, and expect heavy clouds and rain. :LOL: But we will have fun no matter what the weather. We always do.

We just booked a hotel in Kansas City for the whole weekend, which is an 8-hour drive from where we live in Texas. We also bought a $20 parking pass at the airport in St Joseph, MO, which is exactly on the centerline. It's normally about a one hour drive north from Kansas City. Plan is to leave the hotel about 5am in hopes of beating the gridlock on I-29. It starts at 11:40, so I think we'll make it... unless the entire population of Kansas City has the same plan.

I will be at the Super 8 Kansas City, 4321 N Corrington Ave, Kansas City, MO 64117. Plan on heading to Lathrop, MO, only 30 miles away. It is right on the center line too, just a few miles off I35. And on my way home back to MN.

Lathrop, MO is also having their 150th anniversary, so it should be pretty festive. They are only ~2,000 in population, expected to grow to 25,000, and parking is cheap at the antique grounds. Of course, I suspect there is plenty of free parking at any of the side roads and farms in the area, if you wanted. They even have shuttles from KC and Des Moines.

https://www.lathropeclipse.com/

They even have a 20 second video of a full eclipse. Anything other than a full eclipse is like kissing your sister from what I have read. It's like going to a concert and seeing the warm up band, but leaving before the main event.

Witnessed the one in Europe several years back.

The interesting part was not so much the sun as it was what was happening around us.

Temperature drop and all the wildlife/birds/insects etc .. suddenly became dead quiet.

Eerie.

Lived in Oregon during the last one in the late 70s and all the dogs in the neighborhood started howling. It was a really strange phenomenon.

One county in our state has declared a state of emergency for that day because so many people are coming to view the eclipse. I noticed a county in Oregon has done the same thing.

I will be at the Super 8 Kansas City, 4321 N Corrington Ave, Kansas City, MO 64117. Plan on heading to Lathrop, MO, only 30 miles away. It is right on the center line too, just a few miles off I35. And on my way home back to MN.

Lathrop, MO is also having their 150th anniversary, so it should be pretty festive. They are only ~2,000 in population, expected to grow to 25,000, and parking is cheap at the antique grounds. Of course, I suspect there is plenty of free parking at any of the side roads and farms in the area, if you wanted. They even have shuttles from KC and Des Moines.

https://www.lathropeclipse.com/

They even have a 20 second video of a full eclipse. Anything other than a full eclipse is like kissing your sister from what I have read. It's like going to a concert and seeing the warm up band, but leaving before the main event.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a great backup plan for us. I'll be closely monitoring the weather and also traffic info on Google Maps. We'll probably stick with St Joseph unless weather or traffic goes bad. If so, we might be joining you in Lathrop. Here's a link to the St Joseph information in case you need a backup plan.

Will be one of the last people in the US to see it - standing on the beach in Charleston.....
I thought it would be great to be on a boat in the ocean. If there were clouds near shore, you could voyage out to sea farther. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a quorum on the boat idea, so now not sure if I'll be on the coast or somewhere inland.

That's an interesting idea. Shouldn't have the traffic issues that driving will have if you can get into the middle of it, though you'd likely want a car to be flexible. I could catch the Crescent on Sunday night, arrive in Greenville SC in the morning, and catch the train back that evening. I'll have to think about that. If it was just me I'd probably book it since it can be cancelled, but my son is going to try to go too, and the overnight Monday night may not work for him.

Carbondale is dead center, and has about the longest totality of the eclipse

Carbondale is dead center, and has about the longest totality of the eclipse
Yeah, though it's all of 3 seconds longer than in South Carolina. Or is your point about needing a car? If it's cloudy, or the train station isn't a very good place to watch, or you want to get food and kill time before and after the eclipse, you'll need some transportation. Given your handle, maybe you're taking a bike?

I thought it would be great to be on a boat in the ocean. If there were clouds near shore, you could voyage out to sea farther. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a quorum on the boat idea, so now not sure if I'll be on the coast or somewhere inland.

Thought about that, too! [great minds...] My boat is 3 days out from Charleston, and I can't afford a week off from the cube-farm.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14 more months......:rolleyes:

Got the last sheet of Eclipse stamps at the post office today :dance:.

If MIL hadn't passed a couple of months ago, we would be in path of totality for her 95th! As we'll still own the house on the 21st assuming new owners don't want an early close, we're talking about a once in a lifetime trip. We'll have to stop by Costco to pick up an air mattress :LOL: as the house will be totally empty.

Yeah, though it's all of 3 seconds longer than in South Carolina. Or is your point about needing a car? If it's cloudy, or the train station isn't a very good place to watch, or you want to get food and kill time before and after the eclipse, you'll need some transportation. Given your handle, maybe you're taking a bike?

Its about not needing a car. Carbondale is a small college town, with many coffee shops, cafes, and parks all within 1.5 miles of the train station. Since I get in around 3am, plenty of time to scope everything out. If its cloudy, I'll still enjoy the trip.

I love stopping at small towns on train trips. Last weekend I rode Amtrak from Seattle to LA to try out business class, stopping in Kelso, WA for 1.5 days. Very nice 9 mile walk to and around Lake Sacajawea Park.

8/21 will the first day for my kids' school, so guess I have to settle for the partial in Austin.

Looking forward to the one in 2024, which will pass through my city. But that time I may be having fun at the other side of the globe.

Will be one of the last people in the US to see it - standing on the beach in Charleston.....

Are you heading to the north of Charleston ?? Isle of Palms is planning an Eclipse Party on Front Beach. I bet Morgan's Creek Grill is going all-out on the Upper Deck.

Are you heading to the north of Charleston ?? Isle of Palms is planning an Eclipse Party on Front Beach. I bet Morgan's Creek Grill is going all-out on the Upper Deck.

Yes, we're thinking somewhere on IOP - I'll check out the Front Beach event, thanks!

FIREmenow -- If you don't mind my asking.....do live down here year round ??

Last edited:
FIREmenow -- If you don't mind my asking.....do live down here year round ??

Hi FiveDriver,
I grew up in North Charleston - late 70's early 80's. Live/w*rk in Raleigh (Cary), NC now. We visit Chas often -- by land and by boat (preferred).

Nice !! We moved down here about 3 years ago. North Chas has changed a lot just in our short time here. Must have been something in the 80's.

Our first vacation down here was on Kiawah in 1987. I could have bought the Townhouse we stayed in for under $190K.....probably worth 10 times that now.

My sister's sister in law lives in Newport Oregon. My sister is driving up there with my older son. sis's SIL will have a full house or else I'd invite myself along...

Sis's SIL already warned my sister to arrive by Friday and not plan on leaving till Monday at the earliest because of the anticipated gridlock.

Son has glasses, a welders helmet, and a special filter for his camera all ready to go. He's very excited.

We're staying in Asheville the night prior. Will drive over to Cherokee on the 21st unless cloudy, traffic madness, or Zombie Apocalypse, etc. Most areas in the totality zone around here (NC/SC) we're sold out. As base camps go, we could do a lot worse than Asheville.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom