Total solar eclipse 2017

How partial is partial?

Some areas will have over 90% of the sun blocked. From the Canadian border to the California border there will be quite a bit of the sun blocked out. Personally, having 90% of the mid day sunlight gone will be a very interesting experience. Check out your zip code below:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

Okay, not total but I do remember one when I was maybe 10-14 years old, we did the pinhole in a sheet of paper to see what I think was 90% or so. Even that was enough to make it very dark and I still remember the sudden cooling effect. BTW, I'm 67 now.

Where we are it is a bit over 91% and we hate travel so we'll just stay home. If we have an overcast, well, there's always youtube.

Attachments

• partial_eclipse.JPG
    partial_eclipse.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 37
Okay, not total but I do remember one when I was maybe 10-14 years old, we did the pinhole in a sheet of paper to see what I think was 90% or so. Even that was enough to make it very dark and I still remember the sudden cooling effect. BTW, I'm 67 now.

Where we are it is a bit over 91% and we hate travel so we'll just stay home. If we have an overcast, well, there's always youtube.

I am going to be in the 95% zone without going anywhere, but I know that morning I will be trying desperately to decide whether to drive a couple hours south to be in the path of totality. So I would love to be told that 95% is good enough.

I attended an excellent presentation at the library on the eclipse. They even handed out tons of eclipse glasses (funded by NASA). :dance: (FWIW, Amazon is/was just about out of them. Perhaps your local library might be be sponoring an eclipse-viewing event and have some to hand out, too?)

They also showed us how to make pinhole cameras/camera obscuras....and how to rig up binoculars or telescopes (backwards) to project eclipse images onto a sheet of paper. (Google for info, if interested.)

NASA is sending up planes to track the eclipse and will be showing real-time coverage (from spacecraft, aircraft and high-altitude balloons as well as from the International Space Station to give different perspectives) online at: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

If any of you want to be citizen scientists, NASA would love your participation (whether your area experiences clear, cloudy, or rainy conditions)...and wherever you are (in the totality zone or one of the partial eclipse zones).

For info: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...tizen-scientist-during-us-total-solar-eclipse
In order to participate, first download the GLOBE Observer app and register to become a citizen scientist. The app will instruct you on how to make the observations. Second, you will need to obtain a thermometer to measure air temperature. Observations will be recorded on an interactive map.
They are hoping to get a million volunteers to help. (A good j*b for retirees, since the eclipse is on a Monday during normal work hours. :LOL:)

---

For those who like to plan ahead, we won't need to wait 39 years for the next full eclipse visible in the US, as it will be in 2024 (and will be visible on a different path in the US than the 2017 eclipse).

omni

Never thought about watching from ABOVE!
I had planned on recording 4K video from above (using my quad copter) of the shadow as it overtakes us, but I didn't know if it would be any more impressive than going from dim to dark unless I had a lot of altitude. And then the shot would be lost because we'd be so small that it could have been anywhere...might as well download professional footage.

I had planned on recording 4K video from above (using my quad copter) of the shadow as it overtakes us, but I didn't know if it would be any more impressive than going from dim to dark unless I had a lot of altitude. And then the shot would be lost because we'd be so small that it could have been anywhere...might as well download professional footage.

The moon's shadow travels at supersonic speed (almost 3000 mph at the Oregon coast to about 1500 mph in Charleston) so your frame rate might have to be quick.

Good luck, and don't forget to look at the eclipsed sun!

By the way, proper eye protection will be essential except for the approximately 2-minute period of totality (for those lucky enough to be in the zone).

I was recently shopping online for some solar viewing glasses/filters and some sources were already sold out. However, I found them at Lowe's of all places, at this link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eclipse-Paper-Glasses/1000255189

You've already heard it hundreds of times and you'll hear it thousands more in the upcoming three weeks, but be sure to get proper eye protection. Viewing through things like CD-ROMs, smoked glass, welding filters (except #14), several layers of regular sunglasses, overexposed film (huh?) is not safe, even if it feels comfortable. I once knew a fellow who had a permanent image of a crescent sun burned into his retina for the rest of his life.

By the way, proper eye protection will be essential except for the approximately 2-minute period of totality (for those lucky enough to be in the zone).

Be careful (as in don't do it). I'm sure the average person would have hard time telling when it went from 100% to 99% and the potential harm is significant up to and including blindness. I got my certified glasses and I won't be looking up at any time without them on.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety2.html

An excerpt:

The only time that the Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye is during a total eclipse, when the Moon completely covers the disk of the Sun. It is never safe to look at a partial or annular eclipse, or the partial phases of a total solar eclipse, without the proper equipment and techniques. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface (the photosphere) is obscured during the partial phases of a solar eclipse, the remaining crescent Sun is still intense enough to cause a retinal burn, even though illumination levels are comparable to twilight [Chou, 1981, 1996; Marsh, 1982]. Failure to use proper observing methods may result in permanent eye damage or severe visual loss.

Take them off during totality! You will have no problem telling when the event goes from blinding to about like a full moon. Besides, through a solar filter the total phase would be completely invisible.

Please see Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - What you will see!

I've read stories of well-meaning but ill-informed parents during the 1970 eclipse keeping children inside with the shades drawn.

You omitted a very relevant sentence immediately preceding what you quoted above: "The only time that the Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye is during a total eclipse, when the Moon completely covers the disk of the Sun."
EDIT: no you didn't. My bad.

Last edited:
Be careful (as in don't do it). I'm sure the average person would have hard time telling when it went from 100% to 99% and the potential harm is significant up to and including blindness. I got my certified glasses and I won't be looking up at any time without them on.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety2.html

An excerpt:

The only time that the Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye is during a total eclipse, when the Moon completely covers the disk of the Sun. It is never safe to look at a partial or annular eclipse, or the partial phases of a total solar eclipse, without the proper equipment and techniques. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface (the photosphere) is obscured during the partial phases of a solar eclipse, the remaining crescent Sun is still intense enough to cause a retinal burn, even though illumination levels are comparable to twilight [Chou, 1981, 1996; Marsh, 1982]. Failure to use proper observing methods may result in permanent eye damage or severe visual loss.
I'm a bit worried about that too. I took a coursera course on the eclipse, skipping the more technical parts and focusing mostly on the viewing info. They say that when it comes out of the total eclipse you see a "diamond ring" and that's your sign to immediately stop looking directly at it, and put on the glasses before looking again. But check it out for yourself, don't go blind on my word. I'm certainly going to recheck all safety precautions a few days before.

btw, have you tried the glasses yet? I got mine a couple weeks ago. They are dark dark dark! About all you can see is the sun, which I guess is the whole point. I think you'd miss the corona with the glasses on during the total phase.

It will look exactly the same in the video that will be posted on Youtube and the NASA website immediately after the event as it will if you look at it in real time with your eyes.

I ain't taking any chances. Just my luck I get the one pair of glasses out 50 jillion that slipped past quality control

This is becoming a hassle. Amazon has glasses on back order. The filter for my camera lens costs $200. Or I could use solar filter paper at $25 - again on back order. I think I'll see if Walmart has glasses first before resorting to buying online. And I'll bypass any camera filter - I'll only shoot at totality without a filter.

My bank handed out eclipse glasses. We were chit chatting and the manager asked how many employees we had. I told him and he goes to the back and brings out a stack of them. Enough for all the employees. Umpqua Bank if you are on the West Coast

Another issue is counterfeit eclipse glasses. I've seen several articles about this issue, so one wants to be careful about where you order from.

I ordered from B&H Photo, a reputable dealer that's been around since rocks were soft. Another would be Adorama Camera, 47th St. Photo, and probably dozens of others. This is one item I would not buy from a reseller on Ebay or Amazon regardless of the price. Here's a couple of articles about the issue:

https://www.space.com/37673-beware-fake-solar-eclipse-glasses.html

https://consumerist.com/2017/07/28/please-do-not-buy-counterfeit-solar-eclipse-glasses/

The kit I ordered from B&H Photo is this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...n_44414_eclipsmart_ultra_solar_observing.html

The moon's shadow travels at supersonic speed (almost 3000 mph at the Oregon coast to about 1500 mph in Charleston) so your frame rate might have to be quick.

Good luck, and don't forget to look at the eclipsed sun!
Thanks for those speeds...I was going to look it up, but you made it easy!

I figure in NC it's roughly traveling at 3000 ft / sec. So if I go up to where my camera is showing about a football field's worth of ground (300 feet), it would cross that area in a tenth of a second! So if I'm shooting 28 frames a second, I should have two or three frames with the edge. One thing I'm not sure of is how "sharp" the edge is, though. If it's the least bit fuzzy, then the shadow won't be visible, it'll simply get darker.

EDIT: I just found this, indicating it's not a sharp edge:
The shadow never really tends to have a defining sharp edge. Sometimes, the shadow cannot even be seen and the sky just seems to darken.
http://www.solareclipse2015.org.uk/solar-eclipse-phenomena/

Last edited:
Another issue is counterfeit eclipse glasses. I've seen several articles about this issue, so one wants to be careful about where you order from.

THAT is about the most low-down thing I've heard of in quite a while. Thanks.

This site, linked from your space.com citation above, lists the reputable brands and dealers. It might be more convenient for folks to access directly.

https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

I wear prescription eyeglasses so the cardboard eclipse glasses are problematic for me. My frames are large and made of plastic, and I have a big punkin' head. I got an eclipse viewing card from Thousand Oaks Optical (who have been well-known in astronomical circles for years as making quality filters) so I can simply hold the card up in front of my face. At least during the boring partial phases. :cool:

Check your local library for protective sunglasses. The other day I heard an NPR interview with an astronomer talking about the eclipse, and he said more than one million pairs were being distributed to the libraries, to be handed out free,

I'm a bit worried about that too. I took a coursera course on the eclipse, skipping the more technical parts and focusing mostly on the viewing info. They say that when it comes out of the total eclipse you see a "diamond ring" and that's your sign to immediately stop looking directly at it, and put on the glasses before looking again. But check it out for yourself, don't go blind on my word. I'm certainly going to recheck all safety precautions a few days before.
Did a bit more reading today, and see mixed info on when to start/stop looking.

NASA at https://www.nasa.gov/content/eye-safety-during-a-total-solar-eclipse says
"Make sure you have safety glasses back on – or are otherwise watching the eclipse through a safe, indirect method – before the first flash of sunlight appears around the edges of the moon."

Scientific American at https://www.scientificamerican.com/...roblem-how-a-solar-eclipse-can-fry-your-eyes/ says

"While official recommendations by NASA and the American Astronomical society say you shouldn't look directly at the sun when any part of it is showing, experienced eclipse watchers like Chou* say it's safe to remove your eclipse glasses during the 2-3 seconds before and after totality to see the so-called diamond ring effect, or "Baily's beads." During this phase of the eclipse, the light of the crescent sun forms points of light on the edge of the disk for just a few seconds."

*Dr Ralph Chou, professor emeritus at the School of Optometry & Vision Science at the University of Waterloo in Canada, also an expert source at eclipse2017.org

Both articles are worth reading. Both say it's safe to look during the totality.

My take is that everyone has probably looked into the sun for a brief instant a few times in your life. You may have walked outside or come around a corner in your car or woken up on the beach and looked directly at the sun for the briefest of time. When the sun is full it is too bright to look long so your natural instinct is to look away, because it hurts. With an eclipse, it's not so bright as the totality ends, so you don't have the same instinct, but the sun can still cause the same damage. However, just like the accidental encounter on a normal day, a very brief look probably won't cause permanent damage. For me, very brief will be less than the 2-3 seconds Chou mentions, and probably hopefully means >99%. I'm neither an astronomer nor an eye doctor, just a guy on the internet so treat my take for what you paid for it.

Check your local library for protective sunglasses. The other day I heard an NPR interview with an astronomer talking about the eclipse, and he said more than one million pairs were being distributed to the libraries, to be handed out free,

Although applications to receive free eclipse-viewing glasses have closed, libraries and educators can still purchase discounted glasses from American Paper Optics. https://www.space.com/37310-public-libraries-give-away-eclipse-glasses.html I found a 20 pack of glasses on ebay for 99 cents. They probably cause total blindness hahah

Last edited:

Thanks for the info! Our library has them.

Just buy a welding helmet and take it back the next day. ;)

Just buy a welding helmet and take it back the next day. ;)

At the library presentation on the eclipse, we were told that sandard welding hielmets have a #5 lens (IIRC) and #14 is what is needed for safely viewing the eclipse. So be sure to buy one with #14 lenses. :cool:

omni

At the library presentation on the eclipse, we were told that sandard welding hielmets have a #5 lens (IIRC) and #14 is what is needed for safely viewing the eclipse. So be sure to buy one with #14 lenses. :cool:

omni
I don't think that is true for arc welding - maybe for oxy-acetylene goggles

I have seen 2 or 3 partial solar eclipses, never a total one. Will miss out on this one too.

But how about this: the longest total solar eclipse between the dates of 4000 BC and at least AD 8000 (12,000 years), lasting a maximum of 7 minutes, 29 seconds. How about that?

You will have to go to central Venezuela for that longest duration, but Galapagos Islands will be OK too for 4 minutes worth.

Don't pack your bags yet, you have time. It will happen on July 16, 2186.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_July_16,_2186.

I bet Bonnie Tyler is going to have a real spike in royalty payments next August.

:LOL: That took me a few seconds, now I've got an 'ear worm'!

Hey, maybe the paparazzi will be monitoring Lear Jet movements at that time, they might discover who that other 'total eclipse' song was about?

-ERD50

If you miss the eclipse just wait until evening, it will get dark and totality will last
until morning. : )

Back
Top Bottom