Travel hopes 2021

I just saw this video by Dr John Campbell over in the UK explaining that the new vaccine does not give us immunity straight away. It will take about 8 weeks before the immunity has been built.
First one dose, then wait 2 weeks, then the second dose. Finally wait another 6 weeks before you have the full effect.

Since I probably will be far down the list of who gets the shots first this will delay my travel plans further.

The video:

Speaking of a vaccine and travel. I hear talk that some sort of vaccine passport may be needed in many countries. At the risk of sounding like an overly optimistic idiot, has anybody heard of any USA government entity that is looking into that?

There was a report in the news that some international carriers will require proof of getting a vaccine or boarding will be denied.

In an NYT article "An Australian airline plans to make proof of vaccination compulsory for travelers..." the head of Qantas airlines said vaccinations would be made compulsory when they become available.
He said airlines and governments around the world have considered developing an electronic vaccination passport that would certify if passengers were vaccinated and with what vaccine. Mr. Joyce’s comments coincided with an announcement by the International Air Transport Association that it was in the final stages of developing a digital health pass that would provide travelers’ testing and vaccine information to governments and airlines.
I'm not sure I agree that a vaccination passport is the best idea. Proof that your body is ready to kick the virus' ass would be better (an "antibody passport" first, and "vaccination passport" as an alternate). This way, we don't need to waste a shot on people who have had the disease itself.

The health pass from IATA is described here:
https://www.iata.org/en/publications/travel-pass/

Attachments

• iatapassoverview.jpg
    iatapassoverview.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
We've decided to basically save the money we would have spent on travel in 2020 and 2021, and use it to fund a blowout 30th anniversary vacation in 2022.

We have an 11 night cruise booked on the Queen Mary 2 for November next year. NY to NY, so no flying, and 5 Caribbean islands. According to Dr. Fauci, we might be OK. At any rate, we're not going unless vaccines are mandated for crew and passengers.

I am also a travel agent as my early retirement side gig lol. Happy to help anyone plan their next adventure!

If true, good news for us:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/...-mount-comeback-with-two-celebrity-ships.html

As part of a restructuring plan submitted to Spanish authorities, Pullmantur could be back and sailing as soon as late 2021 with two former Celebrity Millennium class ships.

The Spanish cruise brand, part of a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Group and Springwater Capital, filed for insolvency earlier this year. Its ships have since been or are in the process of being scrapped. Now it appears to be attempting to mount a comeback and is in talks to pick up two Celebrity ships if the plan is green lighted.

At ~90,000 GT the Millenniums are larger than we'd prefer...but 'hey'.

Last edited:
We have an 11 night cruise booked on the Queen Mary 2 for November next year. NY to NY, so no flying, and 5 Caribbean islands. According to Dr. Fauci, we might be OK. At any rate, we're not going unless vaccines are mandated for crew and passengers.

I am also a travel agent as my early retirement side gig lol. Happy to help anyone plan their next adventure!

Have you always been a TA or did you start after you retired? What's required to hang out your shingle? Are you affiliated with a larger agency or completely independent?

We're avid travelers and the DH retired from a Google, specifically in their travel division. (Back in the 80's, he chaired the inter-airline committee that developed the standards for ticketless travel and his team designed the first airport check-in kiosks!) If we were to start something new, travel would be an excellent fit for us.

We've decided to basically save the money we would have spent on travel in 2020 and 2021, and use it to fund a blowout 30th anniversary vacation in 2022.

Our 30th anniversary is 2021. Hmmm - I don’t think we’ll get to do a blowout. Might have to settle for the primo bottle of champagne we brought back from a small French producer in 2015.

I really want to go see my best friend in Mission, TX, and I was halfway planning on doing so, put my mask on, fly, and just hang out with her and on the beach. But I think I am too scared and will probably hold off as we (DH and I) have stayed healthy so far. Lots of covid around us though.

Our 30th anniversary is 2021. Hmmm - I don’t think we’ll get to do a blowout. Might have to settle for the primo bottle of champagne we brought back from a small French producer in 2015.

You guys really know how to par-tay! I think we got carry out from Panda Express for our 50th anniversary this year. YMMV

You guys really know how to par-tay! I think we got carry out from Panda Express for our 50th anniversary this year. YMMV

Another 9 years to go till our 50th anniversary. Covid better be gone or tamed by then.

But Covid or not, I still have to be sure I am still around when that time comes. One can never be sure. :)

I really want to go see my best friend in Mission, TX, and I was halfway planning on doing so, put my mask on, fly, and just hang out with her and on the beach. But I think I am too scared and will probably hold off as we (DH and I) have stayed healthy so far. Lots of covid around us though.

Sorry I can’t go see her for you! But yes I would caution against traveling there at this time. Things have improved compared to the summer, but still getting a little worse again. Maybe it’s time for us to go hang out at the beach for a day!

Sorry I can’t go see her for you! But yes I would caution against traveling there at this time. Things have improved compared to the summer, but still getting a little worse again. Maybe it’s time for us to go hang out at the beach for a day!

Aw, thanks. For now I am going to hold off....

We sold our Class B RV when moved into our CCRC a couple years ago. We never got to Alaska and are on the list to drive a new RV from factory in Indiana to Anchorage in mid-May. We pay about $1300 and have use for 12 days to get to Anchorage or can get another 10 days at 70/day (which is about two thirds the price of a rental car).

We sold our Class B RV when moved into our CCRC a couple years ago. We never got to Alaska and are on the list to drive a new RV from factory in Indiana to Anchorage in mid-May. We pay about $1300 and have use for 12 days to get to Anchorage or can get another 10 days at 70/day (which is about two thirds the price of a rental car).

We drove our Class A motorhome cross country to Alaska a few years ago and spent 3 months in Alaska. We drove up on the Alaska Highway and came back down on the ferry through the Inside Passage. It was a great trip. Personally I would do it in May only if I had been vaccinated for Covid by then. You would not want to get sick on the Alaska Highway--you are often miles and miles from anything.

Last edited:
I do not like being grounded. Not a bit. Especially in the winter.

Never cooked before. But to pass the time I have been cooking selected Thai dishes, our favorite winter destination. It is spicy coconut chicken soup today.

Next I am going to do some recipes from where we hope to visit in the fall. I retrieved some Moroccan dish recipes from the web to try my hand out. We may get an idea of what we want to try if we ever get there. Then perhaps some recipes from Spain or Portugal.

This comes as a big relief to many of us.

Airlines will no longer be required to transport emotional support animals

Airlines no longer will be required to accommodate travelers who want to fly with emotional support animals such as pigs, rabbits and turkeys under a final rule announced Wednesday by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The new rule now defines a service animal to be a dog that is “individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability” and limits the number of service animals a person can travel with to two.

There is more to the article. Here's a link.

Attachments

• cobra.png
    cobra.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 26
This comes as a big relief to many of us.

Airlines will no longer be required to transport emotional support animals

There is more to the article. Here's a link.

:dance::dance::dance: I love animals. I hate animals on planes. Good news.

And also good for real service animals and their owners so the owners stop getting glares from people thinking they are doing the emotional support BS.

Count me as one of many who are glad to see that airlines will now have some standards for emotional support animals. I think the world of my pets and am very fond of animals, but I am not happy to see emotional support animal rules abused the way they has been.

Service animals are remarkable and both the animal and owner are very well trained. I knew a blind woman with a guide dog. It was remarkable how well the dog was trained. She told me about the orientation that she, the human, had in order get the guide dog.

I do not like being grounded. Not a bit. Especially in the winter.

Never cooked before. But to pass the time I have been cooking selected Thai dishes, our favorite winter destination. It is spicy coconut chicken soup today.

Next I am going to do some recipes from where we hope to visit in the fall. I retrieved some Moroccan dish recipes from the web to try my hand out. We may get an idea of what we want to try if we ever get there. Then perhaps some recipes from Spain or Portugal.
Mmmmmmm! I’m making Tom Yum Goong tomorrow - hot and sour shrimp soup.

Mmmmmmm! I’m making Tom Yum Goong tomorrow - hot and sour shrimp soup.

Sounds like something we should make soon. Even have a kaffir lime tree outside the kitchen window to go pick some leaves for the obligatory seasoning.

But back on travel, we have not been to Thailand, and have no plan to visit soon.

Earlier today, we went to a store, and passing by a row of travel luggage on display, I told my wife it reminded me of traveling which I sorely missed.

PS. One also needs galanga, lemon grass, and cilantro for Tom Yum soup. The last two, I have growing in my garden. Heh heh heh... We probably do not have galanga in our fridge, and that will require a trip to an Asian store. Hmmm... What does it take to grow galanga? It should not be too hard.

Last edited:
I have been checking airfares and you can now fly from LAX to FLL (direct Flight) on Alaska Air (formerly Virgin America) on first class for $498 return during peak season. The fares are normally $1200 return. Economy is now $168 return.

Sounds like something we should make soon. Even have a kaffir lime tree outside the kitchen window to go pick some leaves for the obligatory seasoning.

But back on travel, we have not been to Thailand, and have no plan to visit soon.

Earlier today, we went to a store, and passing by a row of travel luggage on display, I told my wife it reminded me of traveling which I sorely missed.

PS. One also needs galanga, lemon grass, and cilantro for Tom Yum soup. The last two, I have growing in my garden. Heh heh heh... We probably do not have galanga in our fridge, and that will require a trip to an Asian store. Hmmm... What does it take to grow galanga? It should not be too hard.

Tomorrow's will be coconut soup w/shrimp followed by Penang Curry (chicken) and rice. We buy packages of K lime from our local Asian supermarket and freeze them since we only need a few at a time. Same for Thai basil. We live in the snow belt!

Back
Top Bottom