Travel hopes 2021

Sounds like something we should make soon. Even have a kaffir lime tree outside the kitchen window to go pick some leaves for the obligatory seasoning.

PS. One also needs galanga, lemon grass, and cilantro for Tom Yum soup. The last two, I have growing in my garden. Heh heh heh... We probably do not have galanga in our fridge, and that will require a trip to an Asian store. Hmmm... What does it take to grow galanga? It should not be too hard.
Galanga is related to ginger. I think it needs a tropical climate.

I order my fresh Thai herbs from importfood.com. Don’t have a local supplier.

Just finished that soup yesterday - yum!

They keep trying, it keeps happening.

Cruise cut short as passenger tests positive for COVID-19
SINGAPORE -- An elderly passenger on board a Royal Caribbean “cruise to nowhere" has been diagnosed with the coronavirus, prompting the voyage to be cut short as the vessel returned to Singapore on Wednesday.

The 83-year-old guest on board the Quantum of the Seas tested positive for COVID-19 after reporting to the ship's medical center with diarrhea, said Annie Chang, director of cruise at Singapore’s Tourism Board.

The passenger had tested negative prior to boarding, Chang said.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/cruise-cut-short-passenger-tests-positive-covid-19-74619240

Galanga is related to ginger. I think it needs a tropical climate.

I order my fresh Thai herbs from importfood.com. Don’t have a local supplier.

The Web shows importfood as being a business in Boise Idaho. Interesting.

It's too bad you do not have a local store to get the "stuff". Nowadays, Asian ethnic grocery stores are everywhere, and they tend to carry ingredients for multiple nationalities. For example, Chinese stores may carry some items for Viet or Thai cuisines, even though the Chinese do not use these ingredients. Galanga is used in some Filipino dishes as I understand, and may be found in Filipino ethnic stores.

When I was in Quebec province in an RV trip, could not find cilantro or green onion in any store. These are no problem in the US, because Mexican dishes use them. I guess the Canadian French do not eat TexMex.

Last edited:
Just cancelled our only trip left for 2021 this summer for a family reunion. With the slower roll out of the vaccine, I don't think we will be immunized soon enough, and wanted to cancel early. No refunds unless they can rebook the room, so want plenty of opportunity for the Bed and Breakfast to re rent. It wasn't too much money, so if I don't get a refund, I will consider it a donation to a local small business Mom and Pop B and B.

I had a chat with a local fellow who works with Rick Steves Tours, the local travel guru. They are now considering what they will do if they have to cancel the 2021 tours. Apparently, a few people did put down deposits for late summer and early fall, and they have already been refunded. It appears that even if travel is possible, it may not be convenient and the 'tour experience' will not be that good. But, nothing is certain. A lot depends on the vaccination programs and their success.

I have to think that anybody in the tourism or restaurant business should be on their phone talking to their elected officials at all level so as to encourage them to get the mass vaccination program up and running.

There are very few job, money, health, and fiance problems that won't be greatly helped if we can beat down this covid thing. Call me Captain Obvious.

I had a chat with a local fellow who works with Rick Steves Tours, the local travel guru. They are now considering what they will do if they have to cancel the 2021 tours. Apparently, a few people did put down deposits for late summer and early fall, and they have already been refunded. It appears that even if travel is possible, it may not be convenient and the 'tour experience' will not be that good. But, nothing is certain. A lot depends on the vaccination programs and their success.

I think Rick Steves has said that the way travel would resume is individual travelers return. Then limited tours & after that the full Rick Steves experience. I would think the location based tours (7 days in Paris, etc) would be first back. Then the full on bus tours. Doesn't look as if the Paris tours are taking any deposits all year. I had a Paris tour with RS cancelled in April. He was super fast in refunding all money

As the time table for receiving vaccines appears to be getting pushed out further, I was wondering just what travel we will do in 2021.

Ugh...the shifting goal posts is quite annoying. We are scheduled to go to a wedding in mid March in MX, but not sure if that's going to happen. Thankfully, the house we booked offers 100% refund up to March 1st. I am more concerned with the flight situation as it's already a scheduling nightmare (really only two airlines to choose from and one is Spirit...which I am NOT a fan of). Plus, if COVID continues to rage and there are more travel restrictions then the odds of flight changes/cancellations only increases. Oh, and I still have a big trip credit for Alaska that expires this year. Ugh....I am OVER THIS CRAP.

Just gonna wait until vaccinated before booking any airplane rides. Keep Fauci happy.

Then it's gonna be first class because the planes are gonna be packed with the travel impaired wanderlust.

Gonna fly out to see the boy and then my Detroit buddies. Drink some beer. A shot or 2 or tequlia.

Definitely not booking any travel until vaccinated.

I had a condo rented at Pawleys Island about a 4 hour drive away for the months of Jan/Feb but I cancelled because the number of cases and positivity there was so much higher than were I live. I feel much safer in my on home near good medical care.

Our 4/2020 trip to Berlin & Budapest was cancelled and Ovago.com still hasn't paid us for our airfare--in spite of American Airlines paying them 7/23/2020. We're mad.

My wife and I remain in good health and have taken 4 trips to the TN/GA mountains this year. 2021 trips will be to our RV, and Covid risk should be minimal with little public contact on these trips.

We remain very antsy to get back to Europe, however we're uncomfortable that both European countries and our country are being slow to vaccinate. There's always 2022.

We are also unsure. We thought we may be able to get to Greece/Turkey/Cyprus for two months mid Sep-Oct but this seems very iffy at the moment. Perhaps Mexico Pacific coast in November/Dec.

We are still planning for Thailand and Vietnam next winter. The big issue will be whether those countries will allow us in even with a vaccination certificate. Same for Australia.

Received an email from Norwegian Airlines.

"Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the aviation industry, including ongoing travel restrictions and changing government advice, Norwegian has made the difficult decision to discontinue the operation of its long-haul flights."

They will still be in the business of short haul travel, so European flights shouldn't be affected, but they were certainly a great discount option for us when going across the Atlantic.

"Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the aviation industry, including ongoing travel restrictions and changing government advice, Norwegian has made the difficult decision to discontinue the operation of its long-haul flights."

They will still be in the business of short haul travel, so European flights shouldn't be affected, but they were certainly a great discount option for us when going across the Atlantic.

That’s unfortunate. They had great fares for reasonable service. I flew them to Europe in 2019 and was supposed to fly with them again in 2020 until it was cancelled. I was hoping that they would survive. It looks like flights to Europe will be more expensive post-covid.

Yes, we got a round trip business class flight to Europe for $2K (total for both of us) in 2019, and it was terrific service. Very sorry to see them struggling like this.

hoping that we can do a family trip to celebrate our twins graduating college in May before they start their careers. Was initially thinking about Europe but everything seems up in the air until Covid is under control.

Just completed 1st Trip of 2021

Spent 2 weeks, 2 primary stops:

Hollywood Beach, FL (loved the Broadwalk)

Key West- always a good time but especially enjoyed the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park

Also visited:

Daytona Beach- boardwalk was a little better than I expected after reading a lot of downbeat reviews.

Wrightsville Beach, NC-beautiful

Topsail Island- very diverse and huge island.

Only Key West on the weekend had crowds to speak of. I stayed out of bars but lots to do outside. During the week traffic was very light.

Throughout I maximized social distance. It is not that hard to do in a beach setting until some. Bozo comes and sits down next to you, which is when I move.

But had great time. Solo car trip. Paint by numbers- I decided on destinations en route from pre-researched locations, based on weather. I booked accomodations the same day I needed them.

Looking forward to a trip to Texas next month. Not planning anything too far out.

Wow how long a drive from VA to Key West?

I know where we want to go, but I don't know whether we'll be ready to fly in 2021. Nothing will happen without the vaccine; but I'm optimistic we'll be put somewhere in the front half of the line by our insurers based on our age and preexisting conditions.
We'd go to Puerto Rico, as soon as we can to see family; and Australia for the month of December '21. I'd spring for business class to Australia if we go; but even with that, I'm not sure I'll be ready to risk it. The alternative to air travel is to drive up the CA coast to Seattle to see my brother at some point. Maybe stay in Mendocino for a week or a month.

We flew Norwegian from Stewart (NY) to Dublin 2 years ago dropping our youngest at Trinity for grad school. Great experience with that airline.

Switched our Feb trip from Roatan to St Croix instead. United airlines canceled our outbound flight and taking the flight a day later was almost double the price. Our 2 weeks in St Croix will be almost 1/2 of what Roatan was planned. But, Roatan was also all inclusive where as St Croix is just an AirBnB on the beach with a pool. No meals. We'll get to Roatan eventually. I believe my local dive shop is heading there in September.

Last edited:
Spent 2 weeks, 2 primary stops:

Hollywood Beach, FL (loved the Broadwalk)

Key West- always a good time but especially enjoyed the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park

Also visited:

Daytona Beach- boardwalk was a little better than I expected after reading a lot of downbeat reviews.

Wrightsville Beach, NC-beautiful

Topsail Island- very diverse and huge island.

Only Key West on the weekend had crowds to speak of. I stayed out of bars but lots to do outside. During the week traffic was very light.

Throughout I maximized social distance. It is not that hard to do in a beach setting until some. Bozo comes and sits down next to you, which is when I move.

But had great time. Solo car trip. Paint by numbers- I decided on destinations en route from pre-researched locations, based on weather. I booked accomodations the same day I needed them.

Looking forward to a trip to Texas next month. Not planning anything too far out.

I love Key West and Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. We walked there every day last February and really enjoyed it.

Wow how long a drive from VA to Key West?

1200 miles or so. I took two days to get to Hollywood. I had planned to spend some time in Savannah on way down but it was chilly when I went through.

I'd prefer to arrive instantly but the driving was not bad, and never hit traffic.

Last edited:
Late to the thread and apologies if this has been mentioned already. I see many folks waiting to travel until they get the vaccine. While this might keep them safe, could the slow roll out of the vaccine around the globe affect the quality of the travel experience? Many attractions and services will likely remain curtailed, and may never come back. This won't affect natural wonders (and may even enhance them), but other services are part of the experience (eg massages in Bali).

Back
Top Bottom