Travel hopes 2021

I just returned from three nights in Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks and five nights in Yosemite National Park. It was a fantastic trip. We flew into San Jose and picked up a rental car and drove straight to Kings Canyon where we stayed in the John Muir lodge. With no air conditioning during the recent hot spell, it was very warm sleeping. One of my group’s room had a fan and one did not. But we survived. We are “it’s part of the adventure” types for these type of trips. This was my first time seeing the amazing Sequoia trees. Awesome! Is all I can say.

We then drove to Yosemite for 5 nights. Three of us slept in a “heated” tent cabin in Curry Village in the Valley itself. What a fun experience. The heat isn’t actually turned on during the summer months. And we sure didn’t need it. But it was cooler than in Kings Canyon. In fact, it dropped into the 40s for a couple of the nights. It was very dry and dusty everywhere. My feet never really were clean the whole time we were there. But what views. None of us had ever been there so it was almost overwhelming to experience the place.

Most things were operating nearly normal outside the parks. Inside the parks, there was still no indoor dining to speak of. But we had great weather, so eating outside was never a problem.

We are not big hikers, but we did the easy trails and a couple light moderate ones that took us quite a while. But it was always worth it.

We were early enough in the summer season that the water falls still had water flowing. I hope to return for a fall visit at some point.

On the way back to San Jose, we swung by Pinnacles National Park. We checked it off the list, but really can’t say we saw enough to justify claiming we were there.

We're seeing $1050 round trips in coach to many places, with some select weekdays in the mid $800's. Many of the flight itineraries are a little difficult until airlines begin flying full schedules on both sides of the Atlantic.

Unfortunately the Covid issue is still up in the air with Belgium & Netherlands to be a little "hotter" than some countries. We're not getting back into the market until there's a little more normalization and until the cruise lines get back into operation.

Until they implement a vaccine passport system, a return to normal for international travelers just will not happen. We are waiting for them to remove the mask mandate for international flights before we embark on a 12-14 hour flight.

I just returned from three nights in Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks and five nights in Yosemite National Park. It was a fantastic trip.

Sounds amazing. How were the crowds? I've been reading the crowds are terrible at Yellowstone and Acadia.

I was just in the Delta app and there was an announcement:

Flights to Amsterdam, Lisbon, and Frankfurt now open to US travelers.

Sounds amazing. How were the crowds? I've been reading the crowds are terrible at Yellowstone and Acadia.

Yosemite was already limiting the number of cars permitted in the park due to Covid. And that is still in effect. I believe they are using 80% of June 2019 levels as the current baseline. There were lots of people everywhere, but it was tolerable. During peak dining times, we waited 10-15 minutes in line to order food. But sometimes less. It was tolerable. We were able to find parking at all the sights. But it was often nearly full. But not over full. The shuttle bus system is not going to run at all this summer. So that means more cars driving around the valley.

Personally, I hope they maintain the capacity limits for the future.

Kings Canyon/Sequoia was quite nice with only moderate crowds.

We bought tickets to Amsterdam from Houston in February for August ( 850.00). This was before oil prices went up . Don’t see them going down . Originally the flight was non stop but it has been revised twice.

I’m sure there will be a reciprocal agreement. Give it time for them to work out the details.

Our soon to be Alaska trip is getting interesting. One of our travel group got a call from the car rental place in Anchorage - Told us not to expect the Suburban SUV that we reserved. Said that they can't find one. Car rental place wants to give us 2 Jeeps instead. We have a group of 6 and want to travel together. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer 1 vehicle.

Just finishing a 6-month RV tour of the western half of the US with our school-aged daughters. I think that’s all the planning we can handle for this year.

Not retired yet, but arranged for this mini-retirement as an unpaid sabbatical. A short retirement we can have with the kids while they want to spend time with us.

I think the real thing will be coming to me soon (2-5 years), as I know that I like it. I’ve never felt bored or like I miss working. Just turned 51.

Our soon to be Alaska trip is getting interesting. One of our travel group got a call from the car rental place in Anchorage - Told us not to expect the Suburban SUV that we reserved. Said that they can't find one. Car rental place wants to give us 2 Jeeps instead. We have a group of 6 and want to travel together. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer 1 vehicle.

You'll most likely pay more, but I can recommend renting through Turo.com (sort of an AirBnB for cars). I've done it twice now and had outstanding experiences both times.

You'll most likely pay more, but I can recommend renting through Turo.com (sort of an AirBnB for cars). I've done it twice now and had outstanding experiences both times.

Thanks - I’ll check it out. We haven’t paid the original rental car company anything yet, so Turo may work.

ETA- turo has a couple of suburbans. $248 and $400 per day. You’re right - More than what we’re paying, but I’ll send info to my buddy handling it

Last edited:
A friend of mine is in Hawaii and paying 600/day for a rental car. My kids are in Poland visiting family and usually the tickets are between 700-1000. They paid 1400 each. They are saying on the news that some of the airports in the west may have to cancel flights due to a fuel shortage.

And major airports (Vancouver, Toronto) will be implementing separate lines for arriving passengers based on their vaccination status. This is so that the vaccinated can stay safe among the vaccinated, and the unvaccinated... not so much.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...n-status-at-airports-is-a-good-idea-1.5522663

The Canadian side is opening on August 9, but the US side won't open until at least August 21. That's what I heard on the news today.

I think any of you that are counting on this happening are going to be disappointed.

Until they implement a vaccine passport system, a return to normal for international travelers just will not happen. We are waiting for them to remove the mask mandate for international flights before we embark on a 12-14 hour flight.

Unfortunately you'll be waiting a long, long time. 2022 won't be much different than 2021. Covid isn't going anywhere simply based on the millions of American's who refuse to get vaccinated.

Unless something drastic happens, we plan to go to Europe in September. For most of us here on this forum, going this many years during retirement without travel isn't in the cards if it can be done safely. Life's too short.

My only real worry is testing positive and having to quarantine in a foreign country before being allowed to fly home. The odd's of us getting seriously sick from covid is pretty slim now. I'd be more worried about driving to the airport.

Unfortunately you'll be waiting a long, long time. 2022 won't be much different than 2021. Covid isn't going anywhere simply based on the millions of American's who refuse to get vaccinated.

Unless something drastic happens, we plan to go to Europe in September. For most of us here on this forum, going this many years during retirement without travel isn't in the cards if it can be done safely. Life's too short.

My only real worry is testing positive and having to quarantine in a foreign country before being allowed to fly home. The odd's of us getting seriously sick from covid is pretty slim now. I'd be more worried about driving to the airport.

Agreed!!!

Take a TA over, and a TA back, it would mean a stay over of about 5 months unless Cunard gets more routine into it's trips back and forth.

I wore a mask for transatlantic flights over and wore masks in hotels and stores, ate outside when I could.

People were saying last year, summer 2021 will be back to normal for travel and now they're saying that about 2022.

If they're allowing travel, I'm going for it now.

Bird in the hand ...

I just received word that my eco-tour to Colombia next January is a "go." I have some mixed feelings about this, and plan to call the operator to ask about Covid contingency measures. The company is a trustworthy one, and I think they would make the right decision if the situation warranted cancellation, but I'm wondering what questions to ask. I was also thinking about "cancel for any reason" travel insurance, but then read the "tin leg" thread and that kind of insurance appears dicey as well.

**Edit. I was just starting my "research" on this issue and turned to the State Department web page on travel to Colombia. They are under a level 4 "Do Not Travel" advisory for both Covid and for unrest. The trip isn't until January, but I'm now pretty certain I will withdraw (no penalty at this point.) I cannot make a good case for myself as *that* determined a traveler. I don't speak Spanish, and, although I'm vaccinated, I'm not inclined to risk that much. Still plan to talk to tour operator though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom