Travel/Walking shoe recommendations

Flyfish1

Recycles dryer sheets
I haven't been to a shopping mall in ages, not sure our local one is still viable.
Looking for some recommendations for a mens shoe brand for European travel/walking etc? Anyone have a favorite?

I love Skechers Stamina Cutback for walking. We walk 5.5 miles every day and they are the shoe I always use. I buy them at Kohl's and can generally get them at a good price. They are available at many places online and in bricks and mortar stores. I have a condition called hallux rigidus which is severe arthritis of the big toe and with the use of a stiff fiberglass insert in these shoes, I've been able to go without corrective surgery for nearly ten years.

I've had good luck with Merrells. They are sturdy and last a long time.

For summer, Teva sandals.

Last edited:
DW has gotten into Hoka. They're expensive (as in over $100/pair), and I try not to make comments to her about them, but she's working and on her feet all day so I let her get what she wants. She's also been getting Bombas socks, again, over the top as far as price, but she likes them a lot.

Shoes are almost as personal as mattresses but this is my favorite.

https://www.zappos.com/p/brooks-addiction-walker-2-black-black/product/9224951/color/183092

I was lucky enough to have a store nearby that actually still has customer service and helped me greatly with proper fit. They moved me up a size and introduced me to Brooks (I was generally wearing New Balance). If I were you, I’d look for a store that sells running shoes. I bet they would also have walkers and could help you with fit.

We love the Hoka shoes. Lots of support. The are $150 a pair but well worth the money.

When looking for shoes to use while traveling, my husband and I gravitate toward shoes from LL Bean (check web site and read reviews), Merrell, Keen and Teva. Foot comfort is important to us due to plantar fasciitis issues in the past so we don't cut corners when it comes to our feet.

Brand varies by person. Go to a place with a large shoe department. Wear the socks you wear when traveling. Try on both shoes..if you don't love them, don't buy them.

We have a flagship Sheels store an hour away it's our go to. They still have shoe sales people.

The younger generations make fun of retired people who wear New Balance shoes.
Specifically the cheap all white ones. It is a meme.
Yes, I really like New Balance tennis shoes. Primarily, because they can be purchased in wide sizes, that my big clod hopper feet need to be comfortable. I think comfort is way more important than cool.
That being said, I stay away from those dorky all white versions (They are not cool).
Take care, JP

I've worn New Balance running shoes for 50 years and am completely happy with them. I've tried other brands but always come back to NB.

When a pair of running shoes no longer has the cushioning I want for running (usually around 500 miles or so) it gets downgraded to "around the house and neighborhood" shoes. So I go through a pair of NBs at least once a year.

For travel, I'm another one who tends to walk many miles a day in foreign cities, and I've never found anything more comfortable than a good pair of hiking boots. Currently on my second pair of Lowa Renegade II GTX.

Maybe too casual, but I can walk forever in Keen H2 sandals.
I like the way they slip on with no laces to tie, are not damaged by water and breathe.

I like Skechers Sport in the wide size. In black. When they get dirty I hose them down and put them in the sun to dry.

I have gone through several pairs since I found them a few years ago. They are more or less perfect for my feet. We have a couple outlet stores here too, so usually I can buy one and get another half price to save for later.

I have foot arthritis and my doctor recommended Hoka Bondi. The most comfortable shoe I have ever worn and now I can walk miles. Now when I put on any other brand shoe it feels awful. The Hoka Bondi costs $150 but worth every penny.

Last year I bought a pair of Altra shoes (Torin 4 Plush model), mainly for running. Within a month, I bought a second pair....

Altra shoes have a wide toe box.
I don't think I'll buy a different brand again, they fit me that nicely.

In my city, you can find them at running stores.
https://www.altrarunning.com/homepage.html

Altra Lone Peak 5. Lightweight trail hiking shoe that feels like you’re wearing slippers.

I agree with this. If you are wanting to hike, these are hard to beat for most peoples feet. If you’re just talking about walking around some during travel, then they may not be needed. But for lots of hiking, they are the best imo.

I'm wearing the Hoka One Anacapa Mid hiking boot. Super light, waterproof, a lot of cushion if you like that.

I have severe ankle arthritis so I wear these anytime is will be walking a lot.

My brother in law (former college ball player with knee and hip issues) I noticed also wears Hokas.

Good shoe.

For sandals....nothing but basic Teva sandals.

Fit my instep, no issue in salt water, and extremely light. Great for us because we only travel with carry on. Many of our regional flights have a carry on weight restriction.

Excellent wear from The North Face hiking shoes, including the linings. I buy black/gray that I wear daily and almost everywhere. It's been several years since I've needed a new pair.

I’ve been using the Altra Torin for brisk walking / exercise for many years and would be hard pressed to change. That wide wide toe box makes all the difference for me.

For general use I prefer Olukai mesh, which are just about the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

DW uses Brooks, which also has models for wider feeet.

To the OP, many shoe manufacturers, such as Altra , Olukai and Brooks, will let you order a pair directly from them, use at home for 30 days (Brooks is 90 days) and return for a full refund / no questions asked. If you have the time this is really an unbeatable option, it’s plenty of time to test multiple options. Most shoe stores won’t take back shoes that are used or worn in any way.

Back in the day when I used to run I always wore good quality running shoes for running. I liked them so much I started buying them for every day walking around and still do to this day. I've never bought a trail or walking shoe but I don't think I'm missing anything.

Back
Top Bottom