Travel/Walking shoe recommendations

Well, since my youth I have always worn NB running shoes, because my feet are short but very broad across the instep. I buy from discount sites. It seems my size can't be that unusual, as it always sells out very fast. And we are talking "sale" and "discount" prices of $100 and up.

Unfortunately, when I can get my size, the color choice is extremely limited. As in, very light blue, or gray. That is better than the white, though! If I could only get white shoes, I would paint them.

As for younger people making fun of older ones, that has always gone on. Nobody likes old people.

The younger generations make fun of retired people who wear New Balance shoes.
Specifically the cheap all white ones. It is a meme.
Yes, I really like New Balance tennis shoes. Primarily, because they can be purchased in wide sizes, that my big clod hopper feet need to be comfortable. I think comfort is way more important than cool.
That being said, I stay away from those dorky all white versions (They are not cool).
Take care, JP

Last edited:
I agree with others here - - your shoes are about as personal as anything else you will ever buy, and you need to buy the ones that work for you. Go to a running store, or buy online if you can return for a full refund with no shipping fees.

I wear Teva Tirra sandals which are as wonderful (FOR ME) as any shoe could be here in New Orleans. They fit all the irregularities of one's foot shape perfectly due to a million velcro straps. They don't shift or even budge on my foot so I feel as nimble as a mountain goat in them. They are waterproof (and it's always raining or flooding here). They dry off quickly and look good.

Before I discovered Teva Tirras, I wore New Balance which were also very nice. They absorb water more, though, so my feet always felt a little damp.

A mountain goat huh:flowers: that's good to hear for someone that's been in a sick bed for weeks. I might have to get a pair of those shoes...

Looking for some recommendations for a mens shoe brand for European travel/walking etc? Anyone have a favorite?

Personally I have used Reebok walking shoes when walking or traveling, and they have been fine for me over the years. It was great for walking throughout Jerusalem (if you have ever walked through the Old City, you know how important it is to have comfortable walking shoes there :)).

But, as other have said, it is best to go to stores and test them out. I am fortunate having 2 "factory outlet" malls containing stores from almost all of the athletic shoes brands with 45 minutes of our home. DW and I went years ago going around to all the stores to try the brands. I settled on Reebok, DW on New Balance.

"...Nobody likes old people...."

I'm tempted to start a poll:)

I like Mephisto for casual and for something a bit more dressy, Allen Edmonds.

Needless to say, I'm extremely impressed. A member for 9 years and just now making your first post here. Your restraint is awesome! :LOL:

But now that you're here, why not introduce yourself more formally?
We'd be happy to get to know you and we really don't bite.

Hi, I am...

Needless to say, I'm extremely impressed. A member for 9 years and just now making your first post here. Your restraint is awesome! :LOL:

But now that you're here, why not introduce yourself more formally?
We'd be happy to get to know you and we really don't bite.

Hi, I am...

They must really, really like those shoes...:flowers:

I used to wear Merrill but I swear they changed the fit a few years ago. Since then Columbia is my favorite. I have a fairly narrow heel and so most brands just don’t fit me well. Again as others have indicated it’s a very personal decision, sort of like buying a mattress.

I used to wear Merrill but I swear they changed the fit a few years ago. Since then Columbia is my favorite. I have a fairly narrow heel and so most brands just don’t fit me well. Again as others have indicated it’s a very personal decision, sort of like buying a mattress.
Check out Salomon shoes as well. From the pair or two I've tried, they had narrow heels. That was awhile ago and they could've changed too.

Thank you to Marita40, gattara, brett, Montecfo, and W2R, for mentioning Teva. I love my Birkenstocks classic Arizona sandals, but needed something a bit more rugged for walking and hiking on uneven trails. The drawback with the Birks, is that if you accidentally kick a rock or stone, the cork footbed can be damaged.

I visited a shoe store on my way to physical therapy today, and saw a pair of Teva Katavi 2 men's sandals. Remembering that several people in this thread like the brand, I tried them on and really liked them. When riding my bike or hiking on uneven ground, they won't fall off, due to the heel strap. Also, the sole seems quite rugged. They are much cheaper than Birks, so taking a chance on a new brand didn't feel like much of a risk. I think I'm going to like these.

Thank you for the recommendations!

172026761.jpg

That’s great, Major Tom! And I love those snazzy socks. Enjoy your new Tevas.

Thank you gattara. Recently, I realized that I had spent most of my life wearing the types of white athletic socks that come in 6 packs. I made a pledge to stop wearing boring socks, and it began with a purchase of 20 pairs, of which the pictured pair is one. No 2 pairs are alike. Each has a different design and different colors. I never thought about the process of putting on a fresh pair of socks but now, I look forward to it. Some of the designs and colors might be a bit goofy, but that only makes it more fun :LOL:

Shoes are almost as personal as mattresses but this is my favorite.

https://www.zappos.com/p/brooks-addiction-walker-2-black-black/product/9224951/color/183092

I was lucky enough to have a store nearby that actually still has customer service and helped me greatly with proper fit. They moved me up a size and introduced me to Brooks (I was generally wearing New Balance). If I were you, I’d look for a store that sells running shoes. I bet they would also have walkers and could help you with fit.

+1
I have been wearing these for the past six months; been walking 10,000+ steps daily and they have helped me with proper fit as you have noted. Where it becomes noticeable is when I wear a casual shoe and even short walks are uncomfortable. The laces are the good old fashioned way but am good with the extra minute it takes to properly secure the shoes!

I wear Merrell Trail Glove 4 shoes for most of my walking if I don't wear Keens. The Merrells are thin soled but rugged and are like walking barefoot but with protection. This is their most recent model. I don't know why shoe companies have to "upgrade" their shoes and change the fit. I understand these fit a little different than my old model but I would buy them again if they compared to what I now have. https://www.merrell.com/US/en/trail...-running&prefn1=isOnSale&prefv1=false&start=1

Cheers!

Last edited:
Saucing run a little narrow. I got wide for my normal foot to walk in around neighborhood On trips I go with Merrill shoes. Waterproof are air tight so they will be hot. And if you get some that let air in they are not waterproof. I get non waterproof and watch for puddles. Pay and get good shoes it is well worth it

At the recommendation of DW, I just got a pair of Altra Torin 5 walking shoes.

Very comfortable, but really ugly. The toe box is so wide they look like clown shoes. Not sure if I'll keep them or not.

Saucing run a little narrow. I got wide for my normal foot to walk in around neighborhood On trips I go with Merrill shoes. Waterproof are air tight so they will be hot. And if you get some that let air in they are not waterproof. I get non waterproof and watch for puddles. Pay and get good shoes it is well worth it
Yeah, waterproof shoes are almost always a bad idea. Besides getting hot and locking in the foot sweat, if you step in a deep puddle some water may get in over the top, with no way to escape. I've run in plenty of trail races with water crossings, and I just go through the water and it airs and squishes out over time. Moisture-wicking socks are essential.

Waterproof boots are a different story.

At the recommendation of DW, I just got a pair of Altra Torin 5 walking shoes.

Very comfortable, but really ugly. The toe box is so wide they look like clown shoes. Not sure if I'll keep them or not.
I figure by the time people get to my feet they've already judged me by what else I'm wearing. Foot comfort means more to me anyway.

Even then, though, they'll complain that the old people facility has too many old people in it.

It's a weird thing we do to ourselves...

"...Nobody likes old people...."

Yet, most would like to end up being old people. :D

I figure by the time people get to my feet they've already judged me by what else I'm wearing. Foot comfort means more to me anyway.

+1. And I like the ugliness of the Altra wide toe box. Wear these almost every day. Almost everywhere I go.

Attachments

• F8D23C22-FD04-4DE4-9B35-33639B932DA3.jpeg
    F8D23C22-FD04-4DE4-9B35-33639B932DA3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 47
Nobody will notice. I'm a woman who wears extra-wide shoes, so you can imagine how much I hate the limited choice and unfashionable looks of my footwear (especially the limited colors). But nobody has ever said anything. I try to be fashionable everywhere else.

...really ugly. The toe box is so wide they look like clown shoes... .

Even then, though, they'll complain that the old people facility has too many old people in it.

It's a weird thing we do to ourselves...

Amethyst, you don't quite understand. You, I and most of others on this site are still youthful and vigorous. It's the rest of the people that are old. :D

Back
Top Bottom