Travel/Walking shoe recommendations

I swore off laces a few years ago and buy only soft-sole slip-ons. They're easy to wear and cheap. I install New Balance 3810 Ultra Support insoles, which usually outlast three pairs of shoes. The 3810s have a high-density rubber compound and a rigid arch support. The heel cup and tarsal arch areas have slightly softer rubber inserts to ease impact points.

I have been buying Rockport slip-ons recently because they offer wide widths. But it's the insoles I'm sold on, not the shoes.

I've worn New Balance running shoes for 50 years and am completely happy with them. I've tried other brands but always come back to NB.

When a pair of running shoes no longer has the cushioning I want for running (usually around 500 miles or so) it gets downgraded to "around the house and neighborhood" shoes. So I go through a pair of NBs at least once a year.

For travel, I'm another one who tends to walk many miles a day in foreign cities, and I've never found anything more comfortable than a good pair of hiking boots. Currently on my second pair of Lowa Renegade II GTX.

I have a very wide foot, and New Balance has been my only brand for 30 years, at least. I'm also a runner. I bought a pair of New Balance "walking" shoes prior to a trip to Israel, and at least for me they were not good at all. I now use New Balance 990 as my walking shoe; technically it's a running shoe, but they've been great for me and walking. Our Israeli tour guide wore them!

For general walking around in urban areas, I really like my 2 pairs of Birkenstock Arizona sandals. Oiled leather straps, and the original cork footbed - not the soft footbed. The cork footbed takes a while to conform to your foot but once it does, it is as comfortable as, well, an old shoe!

For hiking on non-level terrain, I just purchased a pair of Sorrento shoes from Orthofeet. Am not thrilled with them but, for now, they will do for hiking. They are lightweight but visually, a bit on the clunky side, which is due to all the padding. Also, compared to the leather Keen shoes that I used to wear (and loved), and also my Converse, which I will no longer wear, due to their overall inadequacy as footwear, they do not breathe well. Especially in warm weather, my feet sweat in these shoes. I am still looking for a decent pair of shoes for light hiking. I recently decided to go vegan with my footwear choices, but might have to renege on that. Leather is such a good shoe material, for flexibility, breathability, and overall comfort. I am not keen on the mesh look of many sports shoes.

In the meantime, there is a fantastic little single owner/proprietor shoe store in downtown Oakland that I will be visiting this morning. I am looking for a pair of classic canvas sneakers, but with a wide toe box and good supportive insoles. Even if I don't find the sneakers that I want, I always have a good conversation with the owner.

Life was easier when I was a kid with 6 pairs of Converse :LOL:

Last edited:
Do these pack well for travel? Or are they just comfortable?

They pack well and are comfortable. They pack like running shoes. I wore a pair and packed a pair through a multi destination Alaska trip. Wore the old pair hiking and wore the new pair out for dinner and on the plane.

Like others have said, it's mostly a personal choice, and depends in part on what fits you best. My feet are typical length, width and arches so I don't have special requirements. I've run and walked in Adidas almost exclusively since I was a teenager some 50 years ago, UltraBoosts currently. I have Merrell Moab 2's and they're great for hiking or off path, but I wouldn't use them for exercise walking on pavement? I also have Keen Newport sandals and they're comfortable and durable but not for exercise walking.

Last edited:
The Altra shoes several people have mentioned here are indeed fantastic but a word of caution: all of their shoes are "zero drop" - meaning the heel is no higher than the forefoot. If you're used to shoes with a pronounced heel-to-toe drop you'll want to give yourself lots of time to transition to minimalist shoes like the Altras - or may need to skip them altogether.

Following the advice in Dr. Mark Cucuzella's "Run for Your Life” my wife and I intermixed New Balance and other running shoes with a 4mm drop and the Altras for close to a year before finally fully transitioning to the Altras and Bedrock Sandals (which we love even more than the Altras). Foot and ankle strengthening (and especially calf-lengthening) exercises are also super helpful if not mandatory for this transition.

The Altras are less than half the weight of our old trail running shoes and we slip much less because of the consistent even contact of the entire foot with the trail. But I'm an ex high-mileage cyclist with super-tight calves and hamstrings and would have been in serious trouble if I'd transitioned to the Altras cold turkey.

At the risk of total overkill here's a link to exercises and resources on Dr. Cucuzella's web site:

https://runforyourlifebook.com/resources/

If you decide to skip the zero-drop stuff Merrills or Eccos may work well. Rick Steves recommends Mephisto, Ecco and Rieker.

Last edited:
I like the suggestion to go to a local running store, not a chain. Take your old pair. Usually they can tell a lot from tread wear what kind of shoe you should wear.

I like Altras best because I have a nerve that pinches, and a wider toe box helps a lot with this. The Torin is my favorite on roads, and the Lone Peak is what I wear on trails. This is for running, but when I retire running shoes they often become walkers.

Most Altras and Hokas are zero drop, which means the sole height on the front is the same as the back. If you haven't worn this kind before, break them in slowly, with short walks first. They can put more strain on your calves since that stretches more than it would in a shoe with more heel height.

Following the advice in Dr. Mark Cucuzella's "Born to Run" (widely credited for starting the minimalist/zero drop craze)
I'm confused. Or you are. "Born to Run" is McDougall's book, and yes, that book did spark the minimalist craze. I saw the author at a talk in Boston in 2011 and it was already widespread.

Cucuzella wrote "Run For Your Life" which apparently was published in 2018. I don't know if he shares the same minimalist/zero drop. I'm not very familiar with him.

I'm confused. Or you are. "Born to Run" is McDougall's book, and yes, that book did spark the minimalist craze. I saw the author at a talk in Boston in 2011 and it was already widespread.

Cucuzella wrote "Run For Your Life" which apparently was published in 2018. I don't know if he shares the same minimalist/zero drop. I'm not very familiar with him.

Thanks for spotting my mistake! Now corrected.

I've been walking in Skechers Reggae Slim Vacay sandals for months. 5+ miles a day. Have done a few 10Ks. I look for air cooled memory insoles. For winter I walk in Wave-lite. They call it a skimmer sneaker but it looks like a pump. I've got it on my wish list and will buy all the colors. I've worn my out black & navy ones so I need to replace at least those 2 Screenshot_20211002-205224_Skechers.jpg

I found running shoes with thick soles and not so pronounced arch support works for long walks for me. Hoka is one of the brands I would recommend.

If the arch support from the shoes or the insole is too high, it will leave pressure points on my flat feet which is not good for blood circulation.

DH wore plain brown lightweight slip on sketchers in Europe to not look so touristy. Still hos go to shoes. I wore booties and also keene sandals. Brooks are our running shoes.

I have come to like Kuru shoes a lot. I have a bad bunion on my right foot, and the Kurus wear very well around it and don't aggravate it. The cushion and support are very good.

I found running shoes with thick soles and not so pronounced arch support works for long walks for me. Hoka is one of the brands I would recommend.

If the arch support from the shoes or the insole is too high, it will leave pressure points on my flat feet which is not good for blood circulation.

No arch here either. I must have a shoe with no arch, and wide is better, especially in the arch area.

Like many of the others, I am a New Balance guy as well. They are comfortable, reasonably priced, and stylish.

The one piece of advice I have on those is that once you find a number (the shoes may have a model number like 603, 802, etc.) that works for you stick with it. One time, I went from a 600 level to an 800 level, thinking it may be better, and it actually didn't work for my foot as I discovered a few weeks later.

"...go to a local running store, not a chain. Take your old pair. Usually they can tell a lot from tread wear what kind of shoe you should wear..."

yep. They should ask questions/ do quick assessments along the lines of...
Do you have any foot or joint pain/issues (knees/hips/plantar fasciitis/etc.)?
What is your weight (they will be able to look at you, almost certainly won't ask)?
high/low arch?
pronation/supination?

They will be able to recommend an appropriate pair of walking shoes based on your feet. What I wear and works for me may be totally inappropriate for you.

Road Runner Sports has a pretty good interactive assessment on-line which is easy to use and will probably get you very close to an appropriate shoe, but visiting a local (not chain) running shoe store staffed with knowledgeable people is a really good idea.

The OP didn't mention having any feet/leg/back issues they might be fine at Scheels.

If you go JT route which is a great suggestion your shoes might be a little more costly, but if you any foot issues at all it will be money well spent.

I had a one-off case of PF which was horrid and it took me forever to realize the value of the "right" pair of shoes.

I like Mephisto for casual and for something a bit more dressy, Allen Edmonds.

Similar approach

When a pair of running shoes no longer has the cushioning I want for running (usually around 500 miles or so) it gets downgraded to "around the house and neighborhood" shoes. So I go through a pair of NBs at least once a year

Funny but I do exactly the same thing except I add a third step. Running shoe becomes walking around shoe and lastly a work shoe outside in the yard. Personally I have great luck with Asics, NB, and other name brands that I buy after those models have been out a year or two, and I'm usually able to get good quality running shoes for about $40. The wife swears by Skeechers as do many other people.

Super shoes

If you have a SUPER SHOES store nearby you, check it out. Extremely helpful, and awesome selection. Good Luck.

Skechers GoWalk are an excellent walking shoe for women. Soooooo comfy and they make attractive models too. Not like big old clunky sneakers. I don’t know if they make a men’s line.

I agree. ALTRA SHOES are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn. You can find them at REI Or similar store.

Altra Lone Peak 5. Lightweight trail hiking shoe that feels like you’re wearing slippers.

It does not matter what anybody on this forum likes.
Everything about you, foot shape, problems, the way you walk, your size, weight, stride, speed is unique to you.
All the major brands make good shoes.
Here is the best advice you will hear.
Buy them at a place where you can return them if you do not like them.

I agree with others here - - your shoes are about as personal as anything else you will ever buy, and you need to buy the ones that work for you. Go to a running store, or buy online if you can return for a full refund with no shipping fees.

I wear Teva Tirra sandals which are as wonderful (FOR ME) as any shoe could be here in New Orleans. They fit all the irregularities of one's foot shape perfectly due to a million velcro straps. They don't shift or even budge on my foot so I feel as nimble as a mountain goat in them. They are waterproof (and it's always raining or flooding here). They dry off quickly and look good.

Before I discovered Teva Tirras, I wore New Balance which were also very nice. They absorb water more, though, so my feet always felt a little damp.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom