Trip Report US to Mexico and Back

Puerto Morelos is a favorite of ours. Last time we were there, just before covid hit, there was new grocery store opened that had everything. Saved us going up to the store on the highway.

Yeah, Chedraui is the bomb (by Mexico standards).

I liked Akumal before the giant resort built there. This brought in the element of "taxes" to enter the water to see the wildlife. Just a bunch of thugs extorting from the tourists.

I don't recall seeing a "giant" resort in Akumal, except for the Grand Sirenis that is a bit north. We certainly didn't experience any crowds while in Akumal proper.

I don't recall seeing a "giant" resort in Akumal, except for the Grand Sirenis that is a bit north. We certainly didn't experience any crowds while in Akumal proper.
There are a lot of "day only" resorts with food and chairs to rent for the cruise crowd. I imagine they are hurting now.

That's a pretty long trip from Cancun!

It is :LOL: I was actually thinking about Cozumel...I was a page or two behind!!!

I've quite a few VRBO pop up on Akumal. I wonder if it's getting more noisy and crowded.

Well, lots has changed in the past 5 years. Secrets has landed dead center of the inlet and guys trying to force their "services" on you before they "allow you" to enter the water in the name of saving the habitat...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-090952.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-090952.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 26
We have been to the Cancun/Playa/Merida area a number of times. Same with Puerto Vallarta. Usually on AI's but also just winging it on our own.

We decided to spend seven weeks though Jan/March 20 in Mexico starting in Carncun area. We flew on to Huatulco, then bussed and spent time in Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, then flew to PV. We intended to keep going further north but covid interupted the trip.

It was all perfect. We stayed at no stars through to five stars. Did not care particularly for Huatulco so we left after a few days. We very much liked Puerto Escondido and Zihuatanejo and plan to return to the latter next time we go to Mexico. Acapulco surprised us. Our hotel was on the beach. We went out at night. Never felt uneasy or unsafe. We had great stays in PV, Nuevo Vallarta, and Bucerias. We stayed longer than we anticipated in Puerto Escondido, Zihuatanejo, and Acapulco.

This form of travel was so different than simply flying down for a week long AI. We only booked a few days in advance and then only for two nights. If we liked, we stayed longer. Resorts were different, we picked up two last minute five day specials. One in Playa, the other in Nuevo Vallarta.

We plan to do another snowbird winter in Mexico travelling about like we did for two months or so. Just as soon as the covid business is finished. Puerto Morales and Zih will definitley be on the list of places to go.

So an update on the extra hassle of getting back to the US. We stayed at an AI the last 3 nts and they provided us with a test through Hospiten. The process...

Set up an appointment with the testing (Tuesday at 11:20)
Get tested and asked us to return to our room for an hour (if no call, you are negative)
Go to pick up papers at 7pm from the front desk
Download Verifly app
Document everything including the picture of your results document
Wait for the "all clear" from Verifly (overnight)
Do multiple documents for Mexico

We probably used 4-5 hours total for the vacation. Worth it? Yeah, for us.

We did see a testing location in town if we had decided to stay in the hotel we were in. Antigen testing is about $25...

So an update on the extra hassle of getting back to the US. We stayed at an AI the last 3 nts and they provided us with a test through Hospiten. The process...

Set up an appointment with the testing (Tuesday at 11:20)
Get tested and asked us to return to our room for an hour (if no call, you are negative)
Go to pick up papers at 7pm from the front desk
Download Verifly app
Document everything including the picture of your results document
Wait for the "all clear" from Verifly (overnight)
Do multiple documents for Mexico

We probably used 4-5 hours total for the vacation. Worth it? Yeah, for us.

We did see a testing location in town if we had decided to stay in the hotel we were in. Antigen testing is about $25...

Being vaccinated will help with the most problematic part of this which is testing positive.

For now, doesn't matter. Everyone has to do this if flying back to the US. We are vaccinated...

Yes what I meant and thought I said was that you won't have that nagging worry you will test positive.. I'm sure you weren't too concerned about having to quarantine due to a positive test.

Yes what I meant and thought I said was that you won't have that nagging worry you will test positive.. I'm sure you weren't too concerned about having to quarantine due to a positive test.

True. Even if we did, another week in PM is not a bad problem.

Well, lots has changed in the past 5 years. Secrets has landed dead center of the inlet and guys trying to force their "services" on you before they "allow you" to enter the water in the name of saving the habitat...

Ah gotcha. We stayed up on the north end of Half Moon Bay where there is not too much development.

Back
Top Bottom