Trip Report US to Mexico and Back

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Long story short, we just returned from a week'ish in Mexico. Trip plan was fly from OKC to DFW to CUN, private transfer to private home and back to airport then back to OKC via DFW. Flights were on American Airlines.

I could write a novel on my hatred for American Airlines, but suffice it say after this trip I will not EVER fly with them again unless I have ZERO choices and it's an emergency.

The trip to CUN (and transfer from airport to house) was pretty uneventful. AA made the trip more expensive by changing the aircraft type from OKC to DFW and taking away our seat assignments. The ONLY way to get a seat assignment was to pay for a comfort+ (or whatever they call it) or wait until you check in at the gate. Big risk for flights that usually overbooked (and they were). After a conversation w/ an AA CSR that is NOT happy with her station in life, we got seats on the OKC-DFW leg and all was good. DFW to CUN was interesting because AA decided to start flying the Boeing 777 (usually used for longer flights) to CUN to keep those jets flying. CUN is not equipped to handle wide bodied jets that are filled to capacity and this was evident with the 1+20 minutes it took to get our luggage at the CUN airport. The immigration process was wonderful, we cleared it in less than 2 minutes!

The transfer to our private house a couple of hours south of CUN was uneventful, but there were A LOT of travelers outside the CUN terminal trying to get a taxi and it sounded like it was taking a while to do so.

After a week of enjoying our time away, we took another private transfer to CUN and that was pretty easy, too. We got our COVID test a couple days prior to the flight and uploaded the results to the Verifly application as recommended by AA. That was pretty painless, but you had to show the app (and the "green check" no less than 6 times before actually boarding the airplane. The airport was pretty busy and folks were OK at social distancing (except at the gate where the "gate fleas" were in full effect and were huddled in groups all around the gate) and getting to the gate wasn't an issue. Well, that is where is all went down hill.

Remember when I mentioned that CUN is not equipped to handle wide bodied jets that are absolutely full? Well, when AA decides to fly the 787 Dreamliner from CUN to DFW, there will probably be issues. Biggest thing is that it took a very long time to get all the luggage on board and even longer to get all the passengers boarded. When it was all said and done, we took off about an hour late.

A few weeks before our trip, AA changed our itinerary. We initially had a 3 hour and 20 minute layover in DFW but after the change it was reduced to an hour an 45 minutes. You can already see where this is going. My blood pressure is still quite elevated but the end story is that customs in DFW took my DW and her sister about an hour and 15 minutes to clear (DW and I are Global Entry members but her sister is not, so we decided I would get all the bags and try and make the flight to OKC while my DW accompanied her sister through customs). I made the flight but my DW and her sister missed it by less than 5 minutes.

There were no more flights that night, all the flights the next day were already over booked, there were no rental cars available and it took almost 3 hours to find a single hotel room about an hour from the airport (and that was NOT done by AA since there was only one AA employee that my DW could find (luggage area) and that employee was so busy on her phone, she was of no help to them. The employee said, "sorry, you will have to call someone at AA, no one is here to help you." Between me, my DW and her sister we called over 60 hotels before finding that single room (that they didn't want to fess up when they got there, but that's another story).

Ultimately, I was able to drive down to get my DW and her sister the next morning and get them back home but it was quite the challenge.

Outside the fact the American Airlines is the devil incarnate, we enjoyed our trip and look forward to our next one...but NOT on American Airlines.

Last edited:
Yeah, connecting flights are a crap shoot especially when customs is in the equation. We try extremely hard to always do direct flights anymore.

AA sounds right up there with Spirit... DW had a sliver-too big carry on & they were adamant for her to pay up. She unpacked the carry on (junk luggage anyway) & packed it into a small bag she brought with her just in case of this happening. She left the bag with them in the same spirit as they treated her (not the message, but the delivery). It was fun to watch with my backpack in hand.

It's a shame what the girls went through to go on vacation in Mexico. I too have flown through CUN, and it was not a positive experience. In fact, we're thru traveling to Mexico after many, many visits.

Even in "good times", I've been appalled how DFW's rental car fleets have been 100% booked. I've gone as far as to take a shuttle bus to the south end of the airport and a regional bus to the commuter train station. Enterprise brought me a car at the train station. Then I could get away from DFW where I found vacant hotels easily.

We are just itching for a change of scenery, however it is unknown when our favorite cities are going to be available for tourists. We are going to take a non-stop flight to Las Vegas with the grandkids when school's out and will be hitting the Grand Canyon.

My wife has had mobility problems a couple of times in recent years. She's found that being in a wheelchair gets travelers to the front of every line every time--whether it be in security or getting on airplanes or eating in restaurants.

Long story short, we just returned from a week'ish in Mexico. Trip plan was fly from OKC to DFW to CUN, private transfer to private home and back to airport then back to OKC via DFW. Flights were on American Airlines.

I could write a novel on my hatred for American Airlines, but suffice it say after this trip I will not EVER fly with them again unless I have ZERO choices and it's an emergency....

Outside the fact the American Airlines is the devil incarnate, we enjoyed our trip and look forward to our next one...but NOT on American Airlines.

+1 and here I thought you were my DW in disguise describing our trip to CUN.

We too flew to CUN via DFW on AA in Business Class. Our trip was from Feb 24 through March 6th.

Wow, we had a nice time at the Ritz Carlton, sunny 82 every day, excellent 5 star restaurants all near by or at the hotel. However American Airlines really fell short on the return. I could rant on about it, but I was silenced earlier this month and can't slam them with all details. Suffice it to say, we flew home, the flight was delayed, they refused to let me preempt the issue in CUN when I knew we would never make the connection in DFW. They moved us to steerage class on the next flight, worst seats and refused to let us have the exit rows which remained empty. We were told despite paying for Business, we did not pay for the exit row and could not use it. Horrible other things and of course we had rude service at the gate counter when I asked if the middle seat was still empty, my wife got sick in flight from the stress, not good.

They lost all 3 of our bags of course, and we went home very late and waited 2 days for our bags.

Bummer is we booked first class on AA for a trip to Orlando in 2 weeks (April) before this happened. I do have to admit, after many rounds of complaints they did comp us 2 $500 vouchers for our horrible experience.
:rolleyes: I gave them to our daughter.......

We flew SEA-DFW-CZM with AA and had a great trip. Maybe bypassing CUN is the ticket. No wide bodies ever at that little strip.

AA sounds right up there with Spirit... DW had a sliver-too big carry on & they were adamant for her to pay up. She unpacked the carry on (junk luggage anyway) & packed it into a small bag she brought with her just in case of this happening. She left the bag with them in the same spirit as they treated her (not the message, but the delivery). It was fun to watch with my backpack in hand.

Ok, after a lot of business travel during my working days, I totally dislike the flying experience and try to avoid it almost at all cost. So I understand (and have some sympathy for) many airline rants very well. However, you and your wife went on this trip knowing fully well that her carry-on was oversized. Maybe not by much, but oversized nevertheless. In fact you knew it so well that you brought along an extra (smaller) bag just in case you might get called out on it. So then, the airline did call you out on it and now you are bent out of shape over this? Come on now! On behalf of your fellow passengers, please don’t try to game the system in the future. If you succeed, you take away extra space from someone else (who then might be forced to check their bag in spite of bringing a compliant piece), or at a minimum, you are holding up the lines while reshuffling your stuff. Don’t blame the airline for enforcing their well-publicized requirements. :angel:

Reading this I'm hard pressed to figure out why people are booking leisure trips. It's sounding like the airlines do not have their acts together and the passengers are paying the price.

Reading this I'm hard pressed to figure out why people are booking leisure trips. It's sounding like the airlines do not have their acts together and the passengers are paying the price.

Well, if you were to listen to the talking heads...you wouldn't think it is as busy as it really is. Just yesterday, I saw industry experts mention that hotels were at 65% occupancy and airlines are "still struggling" to get PAX on board. That was not our experience IN THE LEAST. And it doesn't take rocket science to know that CUN is not equipped to handle large airplanes and we were at least the 17th flight into CUN on a 777 or 787 so they should have made the adjustments as needed.

As to the comment about CZM being A-OK: We had friends that had to fly to CZM after they lost their seats (overbooked) on AA to CUN. When they got to CZM, they spent 2.5 hours trying to clear immigration before taking the ferry over to Play Del Carmen.

So, be warned...travel may NOT be very fun right now. :)

So, be warned...travel may NOT be very fun right now. :)

Yup but is sure beats sitting in the cold rain here in Seattle with a wife in extreme depression. We always book first/business class and usually get a little better treatment AND all flight access to that upfront toliet!:dance: Important for us OP's. However, as stated, we paid to be taken better care of and were not on that airline. Not our experience on Alaska, British and other one world alliance brands.

I have American Airlines miles-a lot of them. I've had their credit card for years. In 2017 we went first class round trip to Hawaii from Pennsylvania, and it was excellent. United used to pack people so tightly I thought I would be ill.

The next time I use their miles I'll fly internationally, in a couple of years, to avoid the airline itself. Then bye-bye credit card. I have a cash back card that will become my primary card in the future.

The only time I've had a decent on-time departure from CUN, it was earlier in the day, like before noon. The last time we traveled there, traffic was backed up so badly on arrival that the plane had to land at Cozumel, where we sat in a packed plane on the strip for about 45 minutes without air conditioning.

Merida has a pretty nice little airport with much less passenger traffic about three hours away by ADO bus. Merida is an interesting city, too, well worth a day or two of exploration.

Because we're getting restless? :D I have a tour of E. Europe booked for late June; not sure it will happen but it can be moved without penalty. My second vaccination is in a few days but who knows what the local regs will be in 3 months.

I listened to a podcast this AM form Radio France about tourism in Mexico. They're desperate to get the tourist dollars back, which is why they're allowing people in but many of the tourists have quit wearing masks and the locals are worried that the tourists are calling the shots but the locals are bearing the risks.

My own story on AA and Mexico is from 2 years ago, in and out of Cabo. I flew Business but access to the Admiral's Club, which is typically given to Business Class passengers on international flights, does not apply for most flights in and out of Mexico.:mad: I'd carefully selected a return flight with a 3-hour layover in DFW. They changed my schedule and made it 1.5 hours. I called and asked if I could change it to a flight out of DFW the next day. That would be an additional charge, they said. Fortunately, I got to the airport so early I was able to get a standby seat on an earlier flight to DFW. My originally-scheduled flight left Cabo late and I would have missed my flight home and been stuck in DFW overnight.

A disappointing experience all around.

After a week of enjoying our time away, we took another private transfer to CUN and that was pretty easy, too. We got our COVID test a couple days prior to the flight and uploaded the results to the Verifly application as recommended by AA. That was pretty painless, but you had to show the app (and the "green check" no less than 6 times before actually boarding the airplane. The airport was pretty busy and folks were OK at social distancing (except at the gate where the "gate fleas" were in full effect and were huddled in groups all around the gate) and getting to the gate wasn't an issue. Well, that is where is all went down hill.

Do you need a negative test to fly in Mexico, as well as a negative test flying back to US? Where do you get tested in Mexico?

Do you need a negative test to fly in Mexico, as well as a negative test flying back to US? Where do you get tested in Mexico?

No test is required to visit Mexico, but a negative test result is required in order to return to the US.

Another data point.. I spent the last 2-weeks of Feb 2021 in Mexico, specifically the Baja Peninsula. No issues with the air (LAS>DFW>SJD & SJD>PHX>LAS). In fact, the flights in/out of SJD were 10-15% of capacity - which is a handful of people on a 320neo. That plane is eerily quiet with ~20 people on it! The domestic legs were both >90%. Our lowly AA Gold Status got us upgraded on both international legs.

The only frustrating experience was that we weren't allowed to check-in with AA until we had our test in hand. (we opted to not use VeriFly) A COVID Testing Tent was setup at the Departure area at SJD, which made this a simple process. $25 & 25-mins later.. with Negative test in hand we were able to Check-In. In the end, this wasn't that big of a deal.

As typical, GE was a breeze at PHX for my partner & I, but the regular immigration line was ridiculously (more than pre-COVID) long.

The people in Cabo, San Jose, Todos Santos & La Paz, were all very warm and welcoming. It was obvious that tourism had slowed.. we got great deals on experiences, food & our Airbnbs.

I think now is the best time to travel, and the destination may be the determining factor. A combo of great prices & few others traveling.. that's why we went.

I am really looking forward to my European Travel this Summer.. Fingers Crossed!

Last edited:
Is your rental home in Cancun on the beach and how did you get around in Cancun? Looks like you did not rent a car.

JoshTrent, we like Cabo as well A lot of Canadians like Cabo and have timeshares there, I wonder if that's a factor.

As mentioned, no test required flying INTO MX....just a test within 72 hours of departure FROM MX. There are a LOT of places to test, we scheduled with a local doc who came to the house we rented and did it there. Results were emailed within a couple of hours.

They have testing at the CUN airport as well, but some intel we have heard is that the line can be pretty long and *if* you test positive, you *may not* get to choose where you go...instead you are shuffled off to a predetermined "covid hotel."

I have a trip to Alaska in May and will probably return to MX again after that. I would like to get a lot of travel out of my system before it gets too crazy.

Last edited:
Is your rental home in Cancun on the beach and how did you get around in Cancun? Looks like you did not rent a car.

We are too old to hang around CUN. :D We stayed on the north side of Half Moon Bay in Akumal. Beautiful town and thankfully it was still pretty quiet. Busy enough to keep the locals employed, but slow/quiet enough to keep DW and me very happy.

No car rental. We had a private transfer to the house we stayed at and it included a golf cart that is perfect for getting around Akumal. Nonetheless, I don't recommend it. Folks should DEFINITLEY stay in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. ;)

Last edited:
We are too old to hang around CUN. :D We stayed on the north side of Half Moon Bay in Akumal. Beautiful town and thankfully it was still pretty quiet. Busy enough to keep the locals employed, but slow/quiet enough to keep DW and me very happy.

No car rental. We had a private transfer to the house we stayed at and it included a golf cart that is perfect for getting around Akumal. Nonetheless, I don't recommend it. Folks should DEFINITLEY stay in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. ;)

We have been in Cancun a few times. I was just looking at Playa del Carmen a few days ago. Testing on flying back is annoying. I hope the U.S. can drop the testing requirements for fully vaccinated people soon.

We have been in Cancun a few times. I was just looking at Playa del Carmen a few days ago. Testing on flying back is annoying. I hope the U.S. can drop the testing requirements for fully vaccinated people soon.

We found the process not too bad except for the swab itself. :D The house call was easy enough and AA allowed us to upload the results to the Verifly app which simplified checking in back at the CUN airport.

We like Playa. And we very much like Puerto Morelos.

I just got back from flying for the third time during the pandemic. I like the way they load the planes load back to front and the more orderly deplaning. Pretty good behavior all around. This last time we upgraded to United's Premier, which is very helpful. My 80 year old Mom did great! She had really been wanting to travel and we had a great girls trip in Cape Coral, FL. I am ready to go again.

Back
Top Bottom