Unaccomplished vacation plans?

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yet, you were there, and just went with the flow? A group of my girlfriends and I have been in New Orleans for the past few days. (BF's GM has been in ICU for the past week, so he had to bail on the trip :( ) However, we managed to NOT go on the swamp, plantation, FQ, etc...tours, and so forth. The closest thing to anything cultural we have actually done is visit a voodoo museum! Halloween was an adventure that included my being physically tossed out of a gay bar, culminating with breakfast at the local greasy spoon...followed by sleeping all day, ordering delivery for dinner! Yesterday we planned on going to the aquarium, then the zoo...that did not happen either. It is 3:30pm and we have yet to leave the house (thank goodness for the Lo Mein in the fridge!)...it has been an interesting trip. Any others out there whose trips just did not go as semi planned:confused:

Any others out there whose trips just did not go as semi planned:confused:
Every trip we've taken with our daughter...

My submarine pulled into Subic Bay for liberty just before the Mt. Pinatubo volcanic eruption. We left under much different conditions than we started.

We went to Bora Bora and it rained and rained and rained some more .When we finally went on the shark feeding trip .Those sharks were really hungry !

Our recent trip was much like yours it seems. We had high hopes of doing more sight seeing but my mother's health issues required my presence for 3 weeks of our trip and left no time for other activities.

Our visit to New Orleans was short and we shortened it even more due ot 8 inches of rain in one day and rising water. We had to have some repairs on the RV and that cut our time short there. We got behind schdule (yes we had a schedule due to DW's surgery date) so we had to scurry home from South Carolina; doing the trip in 6 days instead of the desired 20 days. We saw only the road and some not so nice RV parks from Jacksonville, FL to home. I even drove 350 miles after getting stiches in my head so we could get back in time to unload the RV and get it winterized before her surgery.

We found that the dogs put quite a crimp on your free time when traveling so we need to plan on staying longer in places we really want to see to provide enough time for doggy care and sightseeing. DW also needs more time between travel stops so we will need to plan fewer miles per day and longer "camping" stops along the way.

Otherwise, we enjoyed our trip and will use it as the basis for future trips now that we have a feel for what is or is not at the various places we visited.

Sometimes, just chillin' is the best vacation.

Several years ago my family and I drove to the Amana Colonies in Iowa. We were in the museum (an old farm house) looking around when a hugh wind storm came up. We all had to go to the basement while the storm passed thru. All the visitors were standing in this dark little old basement not knowing what was happening outside. We were there for about an hour before we could leave. When we went upstairs there was massive destruction outside. Trees down and some down on cars. The roof of the woolen mill was gone...just a mess. Our car was fine so we headed back to the motel. The motel was DARK...no lights. Everyone was walking around with glow sticks. There was no power at all. We couldn't leave because we were low on gas and the gas pumps were not working because of no electricity. We ate snack food from the gas station but the poor cashier couldn't get the cash register open. We finally left the NEXT day after power was restored.

Believe it or not we had a ball on that vacation!:D Sometime those lemons make great lemonade.

Yet, you were there, and just went with the flow? A group of my girlfriends and I have been in New Orleans for the past few days. (BF's GM has been in ICU for the past week, so he had to bail on the trip :( ) However, we managed to NOT go on the swamp, plantation, FQ, etc...tours, and so forth. The closest thing to anything cultural we have actually done is visit a voodoo museum! Halloween was an adventure that included my being physically tossed out of a gay bar, culminating with breakfast at the local greasy spoon...followed by sleeping all day, ordering delivery for dinner! Yesterday we planned on going to the aquarium, then the zoo...that did not happen either. It is 3:30pm and we have yet to leave the house (thank goodness for the Lo Mein in the fridge!)...it has been an interesting trip. Any others out there whose trips just did not go as semi planned:confused:

That describes about all 3 vacations I took to visit my sister -- minus the getting tossed out of the gay bar part. I don't think we did much except eat lo mein and talk crap about the extended family. Since then I have cut down on vacation with dear sis. I wonder why.

Oh, let me count the ways.

About 17 years ago we drove for hours to an AR fishing "resort". It did not look like it did in the pics. We were given a trailer to stay in, and in the middle of the first night we woke up scratching. Said scratching was because there were fleas in the bed. The next day, they gave us a "cabin" that was attached to another cabin. That night, we heard death rattles coming from the old folks next door. We managed to get up early the next day and found the weather cold and rainy. Went out and got thermal underwear. That helped some, but the fishing was lousy. DH caught one tiny fish that neither one of us could identify.

When we got back to the cabin, we had a note on our door to call my parents. We had dropped our cat off at their house for a few days. We called and our cat was very sick. We packed up our stuff and left two days early.

We got to mom and dad's house to find our cat gravely ill. We had to find a vet that was open on Sunday. We took her in and unfortunately had to have her put to sleep.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to leave the house.

Back
Top Bottom