Upgrading Seats on Long Flights Worth It?

I haven't flown since I was a kid. I have often heard about the lack of leg room with a standard seat but I assumed it was only a problem for tall people. After reading this thread I will definitely not consider flying unless I can afford economy plus or better. I'm 6'6" and my legs are longer than the average person of that height. To the OP, I say pay for the upgrade. If you can't afford the upgrade then you shouldn't be taking the trip at all IMO.

The last time DW and the kids flew to Europe (I did not go) the cost was not that much.. so we booked the better seats...

I would want to know how much 'better' the other seats are... IOW, for an inch I do not think I would pony up... for 5 inches I probably would... if it were only one person... for me it is usually 4X or $1600 decision...

Just so you know, on United, $1099 is the most you should ever have to pay for economy plus seats for 3 to 9 people per year. That covers the subscriber and up to 8 companions on the same reservation on global flights for a whole year.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/products/subscriptions/purchase/offerSep.aspx

For two people it's $899. If you're flying lower 48 only, knock off $200 in both cases.

Last edited:
Exit rows can be great, but they have fixed arms, so you can't lift them up and lie over on your beloved. Also, bigger people tend to book the exit rows, so you end up with three big people in a slightly bigger space. But, they can't book infants in the exit rows, so that's a benefit! My preference is the back of the plane where the planes begin to curve back and there are two seats across instead of 3, or a bulkhead seat. Premium economy is great as the seats recline more and have foot rests. I've flown to Australia coach many times, 35 hours, but I'm not tall! It can be brutal. Drink wine before you get on the plane and do your best to just pass out.

Twice I have paid modest fees for "priority" service on budget airlines (WestJet and Ryanair). Granted, not really long flights. In both cases, I was one of the few (cheap) people who thought that a modest extra fee was worth it, and I ended up with a whole row to myself! That, and extra leg room, made both flights very enjoyable.

In contrast, I suffered through a red eye flight from Maui to LAX on United, stuck in the window seat in the rear of the plane, with a quarreling honeymoon couple between me and the aisle. That was true misery. In retrospect, I should have paid for an upgrade.

Twice I have paid modest fees for "priority" service on budget airlines (WestJet and Ryanair). Granted, not really long flights. In both cases, I was one of the few (cheap) people who thought that a modest extra fee was worth it, and I ended up with a whole row to myself! That, and extra leg room, made both flights very enjoyable.

In contrast, I suffered through a red eye flight from Maui to LAX on United, stuck in the window seat in the rear of the plane, with a quarreling honeymoon couple between me and the aisle. That was true misery. In retrospect, I should have paid for an upgrade.
We did luck out on our trip to Maui, as several times the middle seat between us in Economy Plus wasn't taken. I usually only take the window seat if I think I might sleep, otherwise we sit in two aisle seats across from each other.

But I have been in planes to or from Europe that were booked solid. Absolutely full, and the middle seats in Economy Plus were taken up by the people being assigned seats at the last minute - usually some big group traveling together, like students with teachers.

We did luck out on our trip to Maui, as several times the middle seat between us in Economy Plus wasn't taken. I usually only take the window seat if I think I might sleep, otherwise we sit in two aisle seats across from each other.

But I have been in planes to or from Europe that were booked solid. Absolutely full, and the middle seats in Economy Plus were taken up by the people being assigned seats at the last minute - usually some big group traveling together, like students with teachers.

I also usually choose aisle seats, but I was hoping to sleep on this red eye flight. However, the seats were crammed together such that I could not straighten my legs out. I didn't sleep a wink.

I also usually choose aisle seats, but I was hoping to sleep on this red eye flight. However, the seats were crammed together such that I could not straighten my legs out. I didn't sleep a wink.
Right - that's what I expect in standard economy.

I live in Asia and make the same trip back to the US twice a year. I'm 6'3" and have been flying deluxe economy for the past couple of years...regular economy before that. The upgrade is definitely worth it to me. The extra legroom and slightly taller headrest make it much easier for me to get rest on the flight. And $1050 is a very reasonable total price for a round trip ticket to Asia.

I'm repatriating next month (Class of 2016) and finally will be flying business class again. It sure is nice to be able to lie flat on a long flight like that, but I'm not willing to pay for it myself. We're flying EVA Air through Taipei as that seems to be the best connection that will allow a dog to transit without a significant quarantine.

Last edited:
Just so you know, on United, $1099 is the most you should ever have to pay for economy plus seats for 3 to 9 people per year. That covers the subscriber and up to 8 companions on the same reservation on global flights for a whole year.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/products/subscriptions/purchase/offerSep.aspx

For two people it's $899. If you're flying lower 48 only, knock off $200 in both cases.

Thanks for the info... we rarely travel by air so it would be a one time use purchase... so a $1099 decision for me...

We have been using miles on long haul flights and pop for Business Class. At our ages of 70+ we can no longer physically tolerate being shoehorned into regular Economy seats. Aside from the obvious benefit on the plane, being able to use the Business Class lounges is very relaxing.

Every time I consider upgrading for international flights of > 12 hours, I remind myself that on about 50% of the dozen or so flights of that type I've taken, I have ended up with my own entire row anyway. At 5'10" and 5'3", we don't upgrade for legroom, but I wouldn't question a 6'2" person who did.

Now... to get booze? Yeah maybe then. :)

Business class

This is BA Business Class. My DW had the seat on the other side with 4 windows
British_Airways_Bu_2491883a.jpg

My preference is the back of the plane where the planes begin to curve back and there are two seats across instead of 3, or a bulkhead seat.

I feel that planes to Asia have narrower seats. Maybe I am imagining. I am 5'10" and I am "tall" among my people back home.

One year, we booked late and got the last 2 rows, 2 seats each row that you are referring to. There are plenty of leg rooms for all 4 of us.

I tried to book BA business class but it was gone so fast so I've settled for premium economy. But when I get a free companion ticket, after spending $30k, it will be business class the next time I have to fly to Europe.

My friend said that business class often goes on sale? Does anyone know if that's true, and do you find out well before the flight is scheduled? I just looked at the upgrade to business class for the two segments and it would probably be close to $2-3k, which is a big difference than paying an extra $400!
I haven't heard of this but would be interested if others are familiar with it. I don't frequently pop for BC but would do so at a discount.

Every time I consider upgrading for international flights of > 12 hours, I remind myself that on about 50% of the dozen or so flights of that type I've taken, I have ended up with my own entire row anyway.

Now... to get booze? Yeah maybe then. :)

What routes do you fly? The last few years we were flying Coach to/from Europe (usually late Spring or early Fall), DH and I always booked Window and Aisle seats in the same row. We were always joined by a passenger in the middle.

And the free booze is nice but it would be cheaper to buy it in Coach (although it's hard to get the attention of a flight attendant in Coach).

My friend said that business class often goes on sale? Does anyone know if that's true, and do you find out well before the flight is scheduled? I just looked at the upgrade to business class for the two segments and it would probably be close to $2-3k, which is a big difference than paying an extra $400!

I've searched for those mythical Business Class seats on sale and can never find them. Typically they're last minute or, at best, within the next month or two, and DH and I book 6-9 months out. I subscribe to e-mails from one travel writer (Joe Brancatelli) who will occasionally notify us of Business Class sales but they're usually "flash" sales (very short-lived) and you have to hunt for the bargain prices. It's never as easy as "New York to London, Business Class $X, click here".

I just have a mental idea of what we're willing to pay and search to find an acceptable airline/itinerary. Last year we flew from Boston to Reykjavik in Business Class for $4,200 round trip for both of us; we're going again in August for a little less than that.

Last edited:
I think it's worth it more on the way home. You're less thrilled to be on that leg of the trip, and coming back from Asia may be starting late in the day and more in need of the sleep.

Also far less chance of someone near you with infants which can be a huge plus on those longer flights.

Gross alert ahead!

Of my aforementioned 40-50 flights to Asia, due to odd circumstances, I had to fly back home coach once. Once!

Directly behind me were three elderly Chinese women who spent the entire flight "hocking louies" (not sure if that's a local expression) on the floor...every 30 seconds or so for 15 hours.

Cured me of coach for-e-va!

We're flying EVA Air through Taipei as that seems to be the best connection that will allow a dog to transit without a significant quarantine.

EVA is a very good airline, I've used them many times flying to Asia from US. Along with the extra legroom their economy deluxe seats are also wider then regular coach. It use to be a no brainer upgrade when they were flying 747's, the upgrade cost about 20% more then regular economy. Now that they have switched to 777's the economy deluxe section has fewer seats and the prices have gone up accordingly, almost double regular economy.

6'1" and 225 lbs I do it even cross-country but definitely across the ocean.

and extra for non-stop routing too. YOLO

(When I use to travel to SEA once a quarter, Malaysian Air and Air Philippines would always be fully-booked in business class and economy was empty so I would take the middle section in the rear.)

I've had a economy+ policy for long distance air travel for a few years now (I'm 6'6"). (basically after a torturous nonstop from Johannesburg SA to Atlanta in coach - ouch!)

For a cruise out of Barcelona this year, we couldn't get economy+ because the plane was full. All the alternate flight were full too (this was a few months before the trip). It turns out we were going to Barcelona during the start of the Mobile Congress (a giant cell phone conference) and so all flights were full.

We ended up flying in a couple of days early - which worked out great with a few days to explore Barcelona! And because of all this, I talked myself into upgrading to business class. Oh boy, that was sweet. So now DW is pretty much insisting we fly BC anytime we go to Europe. The price bothers me a little, but I did really enjoy it.

So beware of tasting the nicer class air seats. You may end up going for them forever after.

What routes do you fly? The last few years we were flying Coach to/from Europe (usually late Spring or early Fall), DH and I always booked Window and Aisle seats in the same row. We were always joined by a passenger in the middle.

And the free booze is nice but it would be cheaper to buy it in Coach (although it's hard to get the attention of a flight attendant in Coach).

Great seat + free booze + movies would be more worthwhile than a few extra inches of legroom to me, but that's JMO, that's all I meant.

The two Euro flights were to Amsterdam and Brussels. I've had my own rows to Bahrain and Tokyo as well as well as one or two of the return flights through SFO or JFK.

So beware of tasting the nicer class air seats. You may end up going for them forever after.

Totally agree! I can make a good case for DH flying in Business due to his height and his health. I have no excuse. I just like it!

If the flight is with United, by any chance... I have 6 GPUs (upgrades) that expire end of the year... and I'm likely not to leave the country between now and then.

I can send two of them your way. :)

Back
Top Bottom