Villa in Portugal?

hogtied

Recycles dryer sheets
Wife and I are heading to Albufiera on the Portugese coast in March, staying one week in a villa 200yds from the water. Any and all comments / suggestions about the area are welcome. Thanks

Stay out of the water - sharks and rip tide
Don't eat anything - I never saw anyone wash their hands
Stay out of the sun
Don't speak Spanish there - you could go to jail
They have some very different bugs there - flesh eating and such
Have fun

I have not been there so I do not have any words of wisdom.

But it sounds like it will be a nice adventure. Have fun.

Portugal & the Algarve

My DW and I spent two weeks in an independent vacation of Portugal. We visited Lisbon, Obidos, Coimbra, and the Evora (Spanish border) area before coming south to the Algarve. We stayed for three days in Sagres, had a wonderful time. Issues:

1. We traveled in mid September, weather was warm and sunny, the water off of Sagres was warmish, good for swimming. Note, March will be spring weather, the water will be too cold to swim in.

2. Albufiera is a big Brit vacation and retirement community, and fairly heavily developed.

3. Take some tours, there's lots of history and breath taking scenery. In Sagres you can see Henry the Navigators fort. Going the other direction (East) you can go as far as Cadiz in Spain.

4. Food and wine were wonderful all over Portugal.

5. See a Fado performance - soulfull Prtuguese music.

6. Learn some basic Portuguese phrases - You'll get better reactions from the natives.

Have a wonderful time!

Yes we knew it was Brit vacation territory. My wife is from London but has been in the States 40 years. Her sister, still in London, and husband have vacationed in Albufiera many years and have been asking us to join them for nearly as many years. Guess they should know the ropes there by now, but wanted additional comments from this board. Thanks

My husband has traveled all over Portugal and he recommends the wine heavily. It's often a topic of dinner conversation among friends and he recommends the Fado as well.

My DW and I spent two weeks in an independent vacation of Portugal. We visited Lisbon, Obidos, Coimbra, and the Evora (Spanish border) area before coming south to the Algarve. We stayed for three days in Sagres, had a wonderful time. Issues:

1. We traveled in mid September, weather was warm and sunny, the water off of Sagres was warmish, good for swimming. Note, March will be spring weather, the water will be too cold to swim in.

2. Albufiera is a big Brit vacation and retirement community, and fairly heavily developed.

3. Take some tours, there's lots of history and breath taking scenery. In Sagres you can see Henry the Navigators fort. Going the other direction (East) you can go as far as Cadiz in Spain.

4. Food and wine were wonderful all over Portugal.

5. See a Fado performance - soulfull Prtuguese music.

6. Learn some basic Portuguese phrases - You'll get better reactions from the natives.

Have a wonderful time!

What Doug said, and......Make sure you take the sea excursion along the coast into the chalk caves. Don't drive: Portugal has one of the highest rate of road accidents in Europe. If you golf, you will enjoy the Algarve. Visit the many quaint blue tiled churches. Tavira is a very pretty town; Olhao is also worth a visit and has a nice beach. My favourite town in the region was Lagos.

Back
Top Bottom