Would you travel to Dominican Republic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We much prefer Mexico, one can go out of the resorts take busses like the locals, much more civilized. We felt very safe everywhere we went. We do not venture out at night, the food in our resort (Secrets) was great with more than enough restaurants and bars to choose from.

Been to Santo Domingo for a business function in Santo Domingo and loved it, but we were with well-known locals, so we never felt at any risk. The Colonial area is very beautiful and interesting [and, of course, they have great cigars].

Having said that, I don't know if I'd go there on my own for travel right now - simply for the distraction and worry. There are so many other nice places in the Caribbean. I'd prefer Puerto Rico right now. It has a much nicer vibe.

I would not be concerned. Other the other had, when I travel to countries with travel advisories, I try to be low key, polite, smile at everyone, do not wear anything flashy, do not drink any liquor, do not wander off to unfamiliar places alone, do not make passes at the locals, and do not stay beyond midnight at any local entertainment spots.

Of course, many feel doing the above does not make it a vacation, but it has worked for me for 40+ years. :)

I just spent a week in NOLA; the DR can't be any more dangerous

I sometimes watch this youtube video of Andy, Hobo Traveller. I understand Punta Cana but from what he says about DR, most go for sex.

Andy was robbed or beat up in DR. He made a video about it.

My DGF is from DR originally and spoke about visiting some cousins recently. At this moment in time, we will not go there.
I used to follow a blog from DR populated by expats and there were definitely some scary stories.

DGF is someone with a bit on an insider's view; as she was from there and has family there. If you two decide not to go now, IMO that says something . . .

I wouldn't plan a trip there, but if I already had one booked and couldn't get a refund I would go. I'd stay on the resort property and enjoy the beach.

Personally I wouldn’t but that’s because I have no interest in traveling there. State department has the DR at Level 2 increased caution. If a resort were my kind of vacation then I’d go without hesitation.

DGF is someone with a bit on an insider's view; as she was from there and has family there. If you two decide not to go now, IMO that says something . . .

Unfortunately yes. Some of her US based Dominican friends won't go there either.
As others have stated, one must be extra careful, but to us right now, there are too many things to be concerned about, when there are plenty of other beautiful places to visit.

The concept of going to a resort to stay just there the entire time over 3/4 days is not appealing. Boring in my mind/imagination.

This reminds me of our first, and only, all-inclusive experience. I was curious, so we booked 3 nights. We were all ready to leave at the end of 4 days. On the other hand, we met a number of people that spent two full weeks there and were happy.

To each their own, but that would not be a vacation for me.

Unfortunately yes. Some of her US based Dominican friends won't go there either.
As others have stated, one must be extra careful, but to us right now, there are too many things to be concerned about, when there are plenty of other beautiful places to visit.

Exactly

If you think you could relax and enjoy it, I’m sure the beaches are beautiful. However if you do go, I’d avoid mixed drinks and based on what other posters have said, would probably stay on the resort. That type of travel doesn’t appeal to me unless it’s a very nice private island resort such as Peter Island, PSV, or various other upscale low density hideaways. I’ve traveled extensively in the Caribbean but have never been motivated to visit the DR or Jamaica.

We have a cruise stop there. A group excursion would be ok.

Not a chance. We've been to most of the islands via cruises but they really don't hold much interest for us since we live in Florida within a couple minutes walk to our uncrowded small town's beautiful beach.

Before retiring we spent some money making our backyard a retirement destination building a large timber pergola with shade canopies, BBQ grill, dining area, porch swing, hot tub, limited grass to mow, and fruit trees.

There is no need to spend our money traveling to places that have a chronic reputation as a dangerous place. In the past we have preferred to travel to Nepal, Scotland, Iceland, Hong Kong, Italy, Greek Islands, Canada, Peru (hiking Inca Trail), as well as exploring almost every state in our own country. Some of these in groups that I have led, others on a cruise and many others on our own. So we have some experience with both national and international travel.

You can have problems anywhere but I see no reason to "poke the bear" in countries with reputations for danger. Too many other places to see.

Cheers!

My son and girlfriend are there right now. Curious how it goes.

I remember travelling to Turkey years ago when there were bombings. We couldn’t have felt safer in the US though we spend most of our time outside of the big cities.

Ok we gave in and cancelled. Supposed to get our money back from hotel. So we'll be in Atlanta (there for other reasons) with a week to kill and a few bucks in Delta money to fly somewhere. Looking for beach/pool centered vacation. South Carolina? Florida? Yes we know it will be hot and humid. Any great ideas?

Not sure if you’re preferring a hotel or AirBnB situation but we just returned from Margaritaville Hotel in Pensacola Beach and absolutely loved it. Perfect for a beach/pool vacay. Lots of lovely amenities, including free garage parking, and located on the uncrowded side of the pier.
Good luck and enjoy your relaxing week!

One thing that bothered me was getting drinks from the minibar. In my mind, I was thinking of those little 50 ml sealed bottles. I came across a photo of a minibar. It blew my mind! What they had were inverted full bottles of liquor with a dispenser like they have in English pubs.

Who knows what is in the bottles? There were a couple of people that got violently ill after taking a drink from their minibar.
There have been any number of cases of tainted alcohol both in the DR and in Mexico.

+1 on avoiding DR.

Are you able to cancel your trip and get your money back?

If so, I would look for alternatives.

Guessing, but I bet you won't have a problem cancelling with all that has been reported recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom