Would you go to Hawaii right now?

We cancelled our trip to Kaanapali scheduled for late October. Hawaiian Airlines was a real stinker about cancelling, charged us $150 a ticket to do so. Full refund for air travel before Sept 15th, but I can tell you, the area won't even begin clean-up by October and I'm not driving though Lahaina every day as we go to visit other parts of the island. VBRO was fast to refund, within 24 hours I had my money back in my account. Hoping by next October some of the sting will be relieved from this disaster, but my guess is that this is going to be long term.

We cancelled our trip to Kaanapali scheduled for late October. Hawaiian Airlines was a real stinker about cancelling, charged us $150 a ticket to do so. Full refund for air travel before Sept 15th, but I can tell you, the area won't even begin clean-up by October and I'm not driving though Lahaina every day as we go to visit other parts of the island. VBRO was fast to refund, within 24 hours I had my money back in my account. Hoping by next October some of the sting will be relieved from this disaster, but my guess is that this is going to be long term.

You should call HA back, I heard they extended full refunds for flight to Maui through December. My coworker was supposed to go in October and canceled with a refund.

I’m in Waikiki and it’s business as usual and crowded with many international tourists. There was a big benefit concert for Maui at the Bishop Museum last night. I didn’t go but it was on nearly every tv station on the island. I’m sure it’s on YouTube now.

I thought after the pandemic, airlines were at least giving full credit back to use on future flights?

As a former New Orleanian who experienced Katrina, I can tell you that we welcomed tourists and needed tourists back to the areas that were open.....You will be welcomed and you will be helping by visiting and spending $$$$ in Hawaii.

Go and enjoy....and spend some $$$$.

You should call HA back, I heard they extended full refunds for flight to Maui through December. My coworker was supposed to go in October and canceled with a refund.

Thank you for the info.

I called and they directed me it this site:
https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/alerts/travel-waiver-maui-fires

It still states
Cancel your flight and request a refund:
If you are traveling on Hawaiian Airlines to/from Kahului, Maui (OGG) between Aug. 9 - Sept. 15, 2023 HST, you have the option of receiving a refund for your trip.

If they are extending though the end of the year, their agents are not aware.

I think they're encouraging people to come, at least to the Wailea and Kihei area but not Kaanapali area.

I've only been to Hawaii once, a long time ago. Forget how much the hotels and cars were but the rates are just crazy now.

Well since at least the pandemic.

I just quickly searched hotels in October. Even the most basic place was going to be over $300 a night after taxes and fees. These look like condos or converted hotel rooms which are several decades old, probably not renovated this century.

Would going there help people who've lost their homes? Maybe some if they work in hotels and restaurants outside of the affected areas.

But it seems like all the money would go mostly to hotel or vacation apartment owners or restaurant owners, a small percentage may trickle down to the workers.

That's from spending over $2000 for maybe 3-4 nights, cars and hotels?

There are photos of all these rental cars parked out on the fields by the Maui airport, so they've suffered a large number of cancellations.

But I just haven't been able to to justify visiting in recent years because of the high prices.

Supposedly the hotels decided that they'd raise the prices higher and have lower occupancy but still expect to make more money because of the higher rates.

Then that cascades as vacation apartments can raise their prices as well, since they're still cheaper than 4 and 5-star hotels and resorts.

Better way to help the people who lost their homes is to look for charities providing relief efforts, like the Red Cross.

You are right about the prices. Way more expensive than pre-pandemic. Also, even the most basic hotels tack on a daily “resort fee” which adds to the costs. Even crappy Airbnb units are super expensive after all the junk fees.

In Waikiki it seems the majority of tourists here are not from the US. The only English I have head from guests at our hotel have been Australians. However, the international vibe and all the great restaurants is why I like Waikiki.

You are right about the prices. Way more expensive than pre-pandemic. Also, even the most basic hotels tack on a daily “resort fee” which adds to the costs. Even crappy Airbnb units are super expensive after all the junk fees.

In Waikiki it seems the majority of tourists here are not from the US. The only English I have head from guests at our hotel have been Australians. However, the international vibe and all the great restaurants is why I like Waikiki.

We do have a large number of international tourists in the Islands. Many countries are closer to the Islands than say, the eastern half of the USA. AND for many international people, Hawaii has been on their list for a long time, while so many Americans have already enjoyed the Islands (many times in some cases - we visited 12 times before moving.) YMMV

We just got back last night. We had a great time in Waikiki. Actually spent a fair amount of time talking about FIRE with my son as he was reading a personal finance book while we are on vacation. He's way ahead of the game compared to where I was when I was 18.

On another note, the news had lots of stories about how Maui is now really hurting economically, and people are losing jobs since tourists are staying away. They are urging tourist to come back. Just steer clear of West Maui.

I thought after the pandemic, airlines were at least giving full credit back to use on future flights?

Yes, credit. BUT
It must be used within the year. We go in October, it's August now, so we would lose the airfare credit if we waited a year to go in October again. This is why I wanted the refund. If they said the credit was good for 1 year from date of ticket travel date that was cancelled, that would be one thing, but it's not. It's one year from date of recording the funds as a credit.

If I was younger, (I am 85), I would go to Kahalui and help with the airlift to the West Lahaina Airport.
Instead, I have donated to the Maui Food Bank and the GoFundMe to pay for pilot's gas ($10/gal!)

Our Senator just tweeted this.

Brian Schatz
@brianschatz
·

Maui update. South Maui resorts (Lahaina is West Maui) NEED visitors. Furloughs and layoffs starting because people think the whole island is closed. It is not. If you are planning a trip to Wailea or Kihei, don’t cancel. If you want to come to Hawaii pls consider South Maui..

Kihei has nice beaches and is generally less expensive than West Maui Lahaina, and Kaanapali . It is in the center of the island and so close to (the mountain area) up country.

If you have plans to go to Kaanapali in the fall, I think you will be fine. It didn't burn but right now access to it is difficult because you have to go by Lahaina. There is already a bypass road but I imagine it will be back to normal in month or so.

Lahaina is/was a charming town, and a huge loss, but I've had a week trip in Maui and only spent 2 hours in Lahaina, so there is plenty of other activities to do on the island.

My island, Oahu is definitely open for business as are Kauai and the Big Island.

Yes, credit. BUT
It must be used within the year. We go in October, it's August now, so we would lose the airfare credit if we waited a year to go in October again. This is why I wanted the refund. If they said the credit was good for 1 year from date of ticket travel date that was cancelled, that would be one thing, but it's not. It's one year from date of recording the funds as a credit.

Hmm, didn't know it was that limiting.

Maybe it varies by airline.

Our Senator just tweeted this.

Brian Schatz
@brianschatz
·

Maui update. South Maui resorts (Lahaina is West Maui) NEED visitors. Furloughs and layoffs starting because people think the whole island is closed. It is not. If you are planning a trip to Wailea or Kihei, don’t cancel. If you want to come to Hawaii pls consider South Maui..

Kihei has nice beaches and is generally less expensive than West Maui Lahaina, and Kaanapali . It is in the center of the island and so close to (the mountain area) up country.

If you have plans to go to Kaanapali in the fall, I think you will be fine. It didn't burn but right now access to it is difficult because you have to go by Lahaina. There is already a bypass road but I imagine it will be back to normal in month or so.

Lahaina is/was a charming town, and a huge loss, but I've had a week trip in Maui and only spent 2 hours in Lahaina, so there is plenty of other activities to do on the island.

My island, Oahu is definitely open for business as are Kauai and the Big Island.

They need the money but if there's a surge in bookings, they will jack up rates even higher than they already are.

It's one thing to be charitable but paying more than what were already very high rates is getting gouged for your charitable impulses.

You pay over $500 a night after taxes and rates for what seems like an old, average room and how much of that trickles down to the workers?

I remember checking rates last year and for a 4 night stay, there were a lot of quotes in the high teens, even before taxes and fees.

Friends are there right now and thoroughly enjoying it. AFAIK, nowhere near the fires. I'd have done the same thing and gone ahead with plans- but then I set out on a South American trip in March, 2020.:D It was a tour and we were sent home after a week and given generous refunds.

https://www.mauinuistrong.info/resource-categories/donate-services

Come to Maui. Explore volunteer opportunities. Maybe you’ll find something helpful and meaningful.

Is it true the Four Seasons is booked full of FEMA employees?

Probably, but there aren’t any mid level business hotels on Maui. Also, back when I worked for the Federal Govt, the per diem rate was insanely low, so with the lack of visitors those hotels probably decided to accept the max rate the Feds will pay.

They need the money but if there's a surge in bookings, they will jack up rates even higher than they already are.

Sadly, you are probably right. But Hawaii has some pretty draconian laws about price gouging during a state of emergency. Usually businesses can get heavy fines and forced disgorgement of profits if they charge more than they were pre-emergency.

But the resorts [-]pay a lot of bribes[/-] bring a lot of money into the economy so I doubt anyone will go after them.

As a former New Orleanian who experienced Katrina, I can tell you that we welcomed tourists and needed tourists back to the areas that were open.....You will be welcomed and you will be helping by visiting and spending $$$$ in Hawaii.

Go and enjoy....and spend some $$$$.

The governor and other government officials are saying please come to everywhere but west Maui so you will be officially welcomed.

But there is a LOT of anti-tourist sentiment among locals who don't depend on the tourism industry. So don't expect to be met with the usual aloha spirit outside of tourist areas for the foreseeable future. I think you will be physically safe, don't get me wrong, but the situation is not going to resolve itself in weeks or months. A lot of wounds have been opened that have nothing to do with tourism.

They need help and are encouraging responsible tourism. Don't go to the beach. Many people have nowhere to live right now except the beach! Volunteer at the humane society or help deliver supplies.

Seeing tourists have fun while the community is suffering is deeply offensive to many. Don't overestimate the importance of your dollars. Money you spend at most resorts goes out of state and does not benefit the locals. The State gets their cut of your Transient Accommodation Taxes but most locals get no benefit from your visit!

I am in no way against tourism but I am sympathetic to what the locals are going through. Lahaina is a mass grave site. People are still without regular access to food, water, and shelter. Do you really think they just shrug their shoulders when they see a tourist who spent to morning at the pool before ordering brunch from room service then hitting the beach to snorkel? People are under a lot of stress. Even my family members in Kihei (South Maui, near the Wailea resorts) are frustrated at this time. They were not directly impacted but some of their coworkers lost everything. They just think tourists should stay away for a few months while Maui mourns!

Aloha! Come to Oahu

We live in Honolulu and the Island is open for visitors. Even Maui is welcoming tourists able to stay in other parts of the Island. Expect to see longer waits for tables and higher per-night room rates in Waikiki. Aloha

I wouldn't go to Maui right now because you would be in the way, but I would think the other islands would be okay. As has been mentioned, they really rely on tourist money.
This is almost correct! First, there are only a couple of places where fires have impacted Maui: Lahaina (obviously), small parts of Kihei, & parts of Upcountry. Those are not areas to visit. But Maui is a huge island, even bigger than Oahu, & tourist dollars are absolutely critical!

Oahu is 110 miles away, & has not been impacted by the Maui fires, other than some Lahaina refugees staying with family. So, yes, please come, because our local economy runs on your dollars!!

Mahalo nui loa!

First of all Oahu is not just far from Maui, it is a completely separate island! Not going there because a tragedy occurred somewhere else within the state makes nobody better off. If you can’t enjoy yourself knowing that others are suffering, you could never leave your home. People are always suffering elsewhere- what does the proximity have to do with it, especially when separated by an ocean and another island (Molokai) in between them at that?

Secondly- my sister in law and brother in law live on Maui. They are NOT in tourism, but some of their friends and neighbors are. They are PLEADING for people to keep coming with their tourist dollars to Hawaii, even Maui (outside of Lahaina, obviously). They repost pleas from local tourism and politicians on Facebook almost daily, reminding everyone how much of the island is open for business and in need of the tourism dollars.

If you want to just send them your money and skip going, they probably would be okay with that, but canceling vacations and staying home is not “respectful” to the locals. It is HARMFUL.

Young couple next door said they debated whether to go ahead with their planned pre-wedding honeymoon to Maui next week. They have decided to go, spend lots of money at local establishments, maybe offer to help for a day if there’s an opportunity to assist with clean up, but mostly try to stay out of peoples way. Sounds like a great decision to me.

Young couple next door said they debated whether to go ahead with their planned pre-wedding honeymoon to Maui next week. They have decided to go, spend lots of money at local establishments, maybe offer to help for a day if there’s an opportunity to assist with clean up, but mostly try to stay out of peoples way. Sounds like a great decision to me.

I agree it's a great decision by them. You've seen diverse opinions posted here by people who live in Hawaii and are somewhat close to the situation even if they have a degree of separation like me. I have relayed what I heard from family and other Maui contacts and others have as well. I respect others' opinions and it is certainly a complicated decision right now.

Tourist dollars are very important...BUT... they can wait. Total tourist spending in Hawaii was about $2.7 billion in 2022 which was similar to 2019 before Covid-19. The state keeps maybe 15% of that in taxes. Jobs are created for locals. But if you spend at major corporate resorts most of the rest goes back to the mainland and does not benefit Hawaii at all.

I also agree that there is no reason to avoid Oahu, Kauai, or the Big Island right now. But based on my communications with Maui family and friends, many people do not welcome you visiting right now. They are in shock and in mourning. Your visit would be like having a picnic at a funeral. Maui can wait a few months to take your dollars!

I agree it's a great decision by them. You've seen diverse opinions posted here by people who live in Hawaii and are somewhat close to the situation even if they have a degree of separation like me. I have relayed what I heard from family and other Maui contacts and others have as well. I respect others' opinions and it is certainly a complicated decision right now.

Tourist dollars are very important...BUT... they can wait. Total tourist spending in Hawaii was about $2.7 billion in 2022 which was similar to 2019 before Covid-19. The state keeps maybe 15% of that in taxes. Jobs are created for locals. But if you spend at major corporate resorts most of the rest goes back to the mainland and does not benefit Hawaii at all.

I also agree that there is no reason to avoid Oahu, Kauai, or the Big Island right now. But based on my communications with Maui family and friends, many people do not welcome you visiting right now. They are in shock and in mourning. Your visit would be like having a picnic at a funeral. Maui can wait a few months to take your dollars!

There are lots of perspectives on this subject. I think those close to the tragedy are least likely to want tourism right now. That's understandable.

But Hawaii (especially Maui) really does need the revenue. Hawaii used to have the proverbial 3-legged stool of income: Agriculture, Military and Tourism. Ag is almost gone now, though there are a few start ups of such things as coffee and chocolate. There are still a few fields of pineapple for tourists. Sugar is all gone (I think.) So, the biggie is tourism since military is not something under local control.

So as I've seen others say, stay away from West Maui, but come to the Islands - including Maui. It's a bit of a tight-rope to walk, but being respectful will go a long way.

There are lots of perspectives on this subject. I think those close to the tragedy are least likely to want tourism right now. That's understandable.

But Hawaii (especially Maui) really does need the revenue. Hawaii used to have the proverbial 3-legged stool of income: Agriculture, Military and Tourism. Ag is almost gone now, though there are a few start ups of such things as coffee and chocolate. There are still a few fields of pineapple for tourists. Sugar is all gone (I think.) So, the biggie is tourism since military is not something under local control.

So as I've seen others say, stay away from West Maui, but come to the Islands - including Maui. It's a bit of a tight-rope to walk, but being respectful will go a long way.

Like I said, I respect everyone's choices! But I do recommend being especially respectful at this time. There is a lot of stress among locals right now. What might have gotten you a head-shake previously could lead to confrontation at this time. I have not heard of that happening anywhere but I've lived here long enough to gauge the local mood and it is not as tolerant as a month ago.

At one of the "pods" near Lahaina about a week or so ago the locals were feeding and helping some tourists who didn't want to leave. That's how people are here. "Why wouldn't we?" one of the locals was quoted. But there was clear resentment at their choice not to evacuate to Oahu or the mainland.

Some facts I heard on the news this evening: Maui typically has about 65,000 visitors (tourists) on-island right now. (It's headed into shoulder season.) But the current estimate is about 13,000. That's a huge hit to the economy so there is certainly an economic argument to be made to bring the tourists back. It's also a huge number of people potentially getting in the way of relief efforts.

Back
Top Bottom