Would you travel to Dominican Republic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

Our choices for an AI would either be Cuba or Mexico.

As I mentioned previously, I was in Portugal about a year after various terrorist attacks in France. People thought I was unsafe. Three days into my trip some guy in Las Vegas killed 59 people and injured 500. I'm not sure we are much safer traveling here.

Yes, there is lots to see in the USA. Toss in Canada and there's even more.
I see this a lot. I've been in Europe when there have been nasty attacks in the US. I never see the US as safer than Europe. I certainly avoid "bad neighborhoods" in any country.

Already seen a lot of the US, especially roaming the nation in an RV for 5 years. Now catching up with the rest of the world.

The main hint I get from these attacks is to avoid crowds, especially during special events (like the Boston Marathon, big holiday celebrations, etc).

Completely avoiding major transportation hubs is impossible when traveling, but any of the large transportation hubs are vulnerable - whether in the US or Europe.

Given all that - I would not go to the Dominican Republic as there are so many other choices. Or if there, I would definitely not try for an off resort excursion. I find the whole third-world AI pattern with tainted alcohol issue very frightening even though we've never been to an AI type resort.

I live where most US people think it is extremely dangerous - along the Texas-Mexico border. It's not dangerous at all. In fact we have higher safety statistics than many US medium metropolitan areas.

However, I'm not going to hop in a boat, paddle across the river, and take a hike through Northern Mexico these days.

Last edited:
We went to Punta Cana recently and had a great time. We did a few excursions too, including Santo Domingo. I thought it was a great place to visit. It was so different from the US. When we got back we heard about all the deaths. I would go back though.

We certainly do not see travel in the US being any safer than travel in Europe.

I think that many people in North America have blinders on when it comes to safety in their own country vs. how people from other countries view it.

Last edited:
It has been a while now since these began, surely the autopsy Toxicology reports should tell the story.

Beyond reading the headlines, I haven't been following much of the details, although I did read that the DR claimed all their toxicology machines were broken. And, also, those closest to the deceased were often pressured to have them cremated in the DR (= cheaper to ship home, but also possibly destroying evidence.)

May be hearsay, may be truth. Who knows.

omni

Not me

I would not go. Too many unanswered questions and too many other good choices.

I think that counterfeit alcohol was responsible in Mexico a few years back for deaths at fancy resorts.

The hotels can save lots of money by purchasing these illegal liquors.

Not to mention that the staff could possibly substitute their own bottles for the real stuff,.

I wouldn't have gone before the current issues. I'm not as adventurous as many folks here.

35 years ago when I was in the Bahamas and even PR and USVI, I felt like a "target." I just don't see going someplace where I have to be either walled off or surrounded by security in order to be safe. I would never criticize anyone else for going where ever they want to . It's just not for me. It's not worth the risk IMO but YMMV.

Went to Punta Cana several years ago and loved it. The resort we stayed at was great and the country and people were great. Did not know of any problems going on at the time. It’s a shame because it’s a beautiful country and compared to Haiti its a paradise...

I wouldn't have gone before the current issues. I'm not as adventurous as many folks here.

35 years ago when I was in the Bahamas and even PR and USVI, I felt like a "target." I just don't see going someplace where I have to be either walled off or surrounded by security in order to be safe. I would never criticize anyone else for going where ever they want to . It's just not for me. It's not worth the risk IMO but YMMV.

I’m surprised you didn’t feel safe in the USVI. We spent 4 months there in 2017 and the people there were some of the kindest people we’ve ever experienced.

Am I the only one who read articles suggesting a roach type bug spray may be the culprit? (I believe this may be in addition to the tainted alcohol). I read that tons of people detected a strong chemical smell permeating in their bedrooms and they started salivating and other symptoms started...

Am I the only one who read articles suggesting a roach type bug spray may be the culprit? (I believe this may be in addition to the tainted alcohol). I read that tons of people detected a strong chemical smell permeating in their bedrooms and they started salivating and other symptoms started...
That's been speculated and is in the news. I wouldn't be too surprised.

Anyone living in tropical or near tropical (South Florida) know about roaches and their cousins. You learn to just deal with them instead of freaking out.

However, at a resort with a bunch of Americans who freak out at every little bug? Yeah, I can see them carpet bombing on a regular basis.

Sounds like Dom Rep has a "Tylenol" problem. Too many other places in the world to visit than one that could get you sick or kill you. No thanks.

It's funny you mention Tylenol because I was talking to the DW about the situation in the Dominican Republic, and specifically said that they should be handling this crisis the way Johnson & Johnson dealt with its Tylenol crisis.

Instead of denials and evasions, the folks in the Dominican Republic should be owning the problem and tackling it head on. J&J did that, came through the crisis with its reputation intact, and eventually recovered its market share.

The longer the Dominican Republic fails to acknowledge and fix the problem, the greater the permanent damage they'll inflict on their tourism industry

Just got back from a week in Punta Cana about a month ago. Decided to go despite all the stories. We had a fantastic vacation and weather, beaches, food, service were awesome. I'd go back again tomorrow, and this was our 2nd trip there in 2 years. Just don't drink the tap water, and they tell you that repeatedly.

This has happened in Mexico also. My friend found a great deal in a all inclusive resort and wanted us all to go. I wouldn’t do it for free.

This has happened in Mexico also. My friend found a great deal in a all inclusive resort and wanted us all to go. I wouldn’t do it for free.

We love Mexico, we would not hesitate to go. One's cocoon would get very boring if one did not venture out of it on occasion. If one listened to every piece of negative info one hears, one would not leave the house. Incidents in the US are potentially a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom