Increasing taxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's supposed to be obvious that Medicare should buy wheelchairs rather than rent them? It's not obvious to me.

This has been discussed before here, with plenty of examples. I'll let you do the research this time, but yes, it does seem obvious that medicare is paying far too much for rentals, and should investigate alternatives. And yes, I assume this is representative of how they handle our money - why would one think differently, that this is some odd exception? Should we assume
that governmental agencies are highly efficient in this regard?

If they buy them, how many do they need to buy for each patient? If a patient doesn't like his wheelchair, what does it cost to handle the complaint? What happens when one breaks?

Well, the many companies that sell direct to non-Medicare consumers face this, and they seem to be able to make a profit selling chairs at less than it costs to rent for a month or two when charged through medicare. A friend of mine decided to investigate buying a second chair to keep at his house for his MIL, to avoid the hassle of moving her chair back & forth. He was shocked at the low prices after seeing what medicare pays, and the chair he got (delivered to his door overnight) was the exact model his MIL had.

I've seen comment on the web that people could have bought their chair for less than their personal co-pay for a 12 month rental.

-ERD50

The next tax increase that will happen is the GWB tax sunset. All politicians know it.

This is not accurate. The "GWB tax sunset" was set to occur Jan 1, 2011.

Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 ... but is more commonly referred to as one of the two "Bush tax cuts".

One of the most notable characteristics of EGTRRA is that its provisions were designed to sunset, or revert to the provisions that were in effect before it was passed, on January 1, 2011. These provisions were extended for two years under the 2010 Tax Act.

Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111-312, 124 Stat. 3296, H.R. 4853), was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010 and signed into law by President Barack Obama on December 17, 2010.

So, using your terminology, we can re-write that as:

"The next tax increase that will happen is the BHO tax sunset. All politicians know it."

Since the attribution seemed important enough for you to include, I'm sure you'd want it to be accurate.

-ERD50

"The next tax increase that will happen is the BHO tax sunset. All politicians know it."

Excellent point although quite contentious amongst the BHO faithful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom