Join Early Retirement Today

New Blue Cross Idaho proposal
Old 02-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Blue Cross Idaho proposal

It's rare to read in the popular press about the plight of median-income self-employed folks under the ACA. Blue Cross of Idaho is one of the rare major insurers acknowledging our plight, and trying to do something about it, as the following article describes:

Blue Cross of Idaho Non-Obamacare plan proposal

Enjoy!

socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Check out medically-underwritten short-term plans (google it!) These aren't appropriate for everyone, but then, neither is the ACA. After DHHS complies with Trump's executive order, 'short-term' will return to meaning 364 days from the current 3 months.

It's rare to read in the popular press about the plight of median-income self-employed folks under the ACA. Blue Cross of Idaho is one of the rare major insurers acknowledging our plight, and trying to do something about it, as the following article describes:

Blue Cross of Idaho Non-Obamacare plan proposal

Enjoy!
From the link above
Quote:
If someone applies for a state-based plan, Blue Cross will be allowed to look at the customer’s medical history, require them to fill out a questionnaire about their health, and charge them more if they’re deemed likely to need medical care.
We're back to the old. Health Insurance is affordable if you don't need it. As soon as you do, you're screwed.

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
From the link above

We're back to the old. Health Insurance is affordable if you don't need it. As soon as you do, you're screwed.
The sad fact is that for many older people their medical care is just too expensive for reasonable premiums to cover. Better to get rid of them, insure the young. And if you are young, better stay young, because you are screwed when you get old. Why do we keep trying the same things expecting different results?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #4

Almost makes one glad to hit 65 years old and get on Medicare.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
From the link above

Not really... as if they don't like the underwritten price they can always go buy an ACA plan.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Not really... as if they don't like the underwritten price they can always go buy an ACA plan.
But having siphoned off anyone who did qualify for the "young healthy" insurance, the ACA risk pool will need to be priced higher, too.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
But having siphoned off anyone who did qualify for the "young healthy" insurance, the ACA risk pool will need to be priced higher, too.
I believe a broad premium increase would result in a higher IRS subsidy rate. Certain actions in Washington resulted in a big bump in premiums this year, but ACA subsidies also rose.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

I'm not sure that these non-ACA compliant plans will fly, legally. They will certainly be challenged in court.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

HHS has published a proposed rule allowing non-compliant Short-Term Medical (STM) plans to return to 364 days duration. They are currently limited to 3 months.

STM Proposed Rule: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2018-03208.pdf
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
And if you are young, better stay young
I never knew that was an option!
Now they tell me...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Certain actions in Washington resulted in a big bump in premiums this year, but ACA subsidies also rose.
In some states (like mine) they did.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #12

HHS denies Idaho's attempts to end-run the ACA: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2023063
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Almost makes one glad to hit 65 years old and get on Medicare.
Interesting thought. Got 7 years to go, but was thinking this thought as wondering if ACA will survive 7 more years.