Socialized Medicine

I agree that access to care can sometimes be a problem in Canada. But when I lived in the US I saw many instances of access problems too. For example, a colleague's son put his hand through a glass door. He had to be trucked around to five hospitals, bleeding, with a severed nerve, before he could receive the emergency plastic surgery that he needed, because the HMO had such specific requirements.

As far as physician migration goes, it is true that a significant number of Canadian physicians migrate to the US The Canadian contribution to the US physician workforce -- Phillips et al. 176 (8): 1083 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal but the pattern has begun to reverse since this study was published.

I'm sure it's just selective memory, but it seems I hear a lot of complaints about health care and when the full story is discovered find out the person had to wait for their drugs and they went someplace like Wal-Mart, Sam's, or Costco. If they had issues with receiving care and they had insurance often it seems the person had an HMO. It seems the problem in those situations isn't with the health care, it is with the insurance provider or where one chooses to have their prescriptions filled.

We have a way already being applied in other areas by the new admisitration. Responsible, frugal and productive people pay, all others party on.

It is quicker than that other method:

Buffett and Gates father-and-son are following a path blazed by John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie and other former malefactors of great wealth, in Teddy Roosevelt’s famous phrase. The odd, pinch-faced Rockefeller, considered the richest man in history with a net worth of nearly $200 billion in inflation-adjusted dollars, was no saint, and neither was Carnegie.

“His good side was every bit as good as his bad side was bad,” the Rockefeller biographer, Ron Chernow, has said.

Carnegie, the steel giant, ran a conglomerate that could show iron-fisted brutality toward its workers. But when he gave back, he gave it nearly all back, and it’s still paying dividends.

Greed and Need

Looks like France has at least three things going for them, good food, a decent health care system, and a tolerance for nuclear power plants. Maybe they can learn how to fight wars now.......:)

I was looking at a used pistol once, and the salesman told me it was just like it had been owned by a Frenchman - never been fired and only dropped once. :LOL:

You forgot topless beaches!

Looks like France has at least three things going for them, good food, a decent health care system, and a tolerance for nuclear power plants.)

You forgot topless beaches!

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom