What were they thinking?

. Can they really fire the agents for hooking up with a hooker?

Probably. Or reassign them to jobs that are extremely undesirable With no opportunity for promotion

I get that agents acted well like guys in frat house and not like professionals assigned to protect the presidency. Still if prostitution is legal in Columbia and they didn't try to write of the hookers on their expense accounts why is this such a big story?

Can they really fire the agents for hooking up with a hooker?

Considering that it is legal there, it might not have been a big deal if they were discreet about it. But causing a scene and having the local police come and there are 20 of them involved.... that becomes a problem, even if just a perceived one. They caused an embarrassing situation for their boss, and it is their duty to protect him. It appears they acted stupidly.

-ERD50

I get that agents acted well like guys in frat house and not like professionals assigned to protect the presidency. Still if prostitution is legal in Columbia and they didn't try to write of the hookers on their expense accounts why is this such a big story?

On the news tonight they made reference to a guide on how to deal with 'locals' when overseas.... I bet one of them is not to hire a hooker... kind of like not doing drugs when in a country where it is legal...

If not, I bet it is in the next edition...

In a heartbeat. While there may not have been any violation of criminal laws, they violated a bunch of personnel/ethical regulations.

At the very least they (according to news stories) allowed uncleared people access to classified information, like the President's itinerary. That alone would be grounds to be permanently stationed in northern Alaska if not summarily dismissed.

In a heartbeat. While there may not have been any violation of criminal laws, they violated a bunch of personnel/ethical regulations.

At the very least they (according to news stories) allowed uncleared people access to classified information, like the President's itinerary. That alone would be grounds to be permanently stationed in northern Alaska if not summarily dismissed.

The news said that there were not classified documents etc., so if that is true then at least that is one good thing...

clifp said:

From what I gather they were talking about their own professional duties which I would think would be a good reason for being dismissed.

I think the hookers are trying to get them fired because they offered $30 instead of $750............:)

If folks in their chain of command want to punish them for causing an embarrassing situation, they'll find a way. Think of the Rod Blagojevich scandal. Ex Gov Blago did nothing not typical of other Illinois Govs but got caught in an embarrassing way and paid the price when party bosses decided to punish him. Despite the fact that visiting prostitutes might be generally accepted practice, getting caught and having it flare up in the media in an embarrassing way will cost these guys.

Think of the movie "God Father I." Breaking the law is no problem. Doing it conspicuously and bringing unwanted attention to the "family" gets you a nap with the fish.

I hope the agents enjoy their FIRE years....... ;)

As long as the prostitutes and others involved aren't harmed by any of this, it's really kinda funny........

Last edited:
Not exactly the same thing and I certainly do not condone this type of behavior, but its funny how there is outrage from the administration and firings over this when you consider some of the past presidential indiscretions. A bit of a double standard perhaps.

After learning more about the scandal, I can see the problem. My initial thought was that these were agents who were in Columbia weeks or months ahead of the Presidential visit checking out locations etc. It turns out they were in the country only two days before his visit then they were effectively on duty 24 hours and their action could have absolutely impacted the Presidents safety. Forget the hookers simply getting falling down drunk the day before the President arrives, was out of line in country as dangerous as Columbia

$5 dollah, love you long time, GI Joe........... :LOL:

Seems like I recall that the UCMJ was changed a few years ago to make prostitution activities a military crime. Glad they did not have that in force when I was on AD. Well... er...the reason being that I knew many guys that told me that whores were all around. They would not have lied to me.

If the individuals do not know how to conduct themselves properly around hookers, they have no business being around politicians!

If you were working for a big fortune 100 company, on a company-paid conference/trip, and got caught up in a massively embarrassing scandal such as this, could they fire you? I say yes in both cases.

This is appaling to see that the morals of people with "power" have degenerated to such a low level!
You would expect the high profile citizens to set an example for the rest of the ordinary people by living CLEAN and beyond the shadow of any doubt. This includes transparency in conducting their lives/business/govrnment at every level starting with the President's Office.
Just my $0.02

I am starting to get worried. The investigation has extended to the activities of Secret Service and military personnel who were in El Salvador for a recent high level visit. Who knows where the investigation will lead? Back in the late 80s we took a Chinook from Soto Cano AB in Honduras to San Salvador, El Salvador in support of preparations for a visit by Vice President Quayle. My memory is not completely clear on this but I think I remember seeing my crew chief and gunner in the hotel bar having drinks with two local women. Uhoh!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom