2024 Apple Car

Wonder if Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile with be the retail distribution outlets for the iCar? :)

Will you initially get one free with a two-year contract? :)

(I am cracking myself up here.....)

Like all other things Apple, it will be very expensive and hooked permanently to ITunes software. :LOL:

Well here may be the source of Apple's improved batteries:

"What Apple (AAPL) may be working on has electrified one hot startup’s shares.

The car will be powered by a “breakthrough” monocell battery design that offers up greater range than traditional electric vehicle batteries. Apple ..... is also reportedly exploring the use of a lithium iron phosphate battery, which would not include hard to mine metal cobalt.

QuantumScape — founded in 2010 by Jagdeep Singh and backed early by Microsoft founder Bill Gates and auto giant Volkswagen — recently took a big stride in bringing a major battery technology to market. Earlier this month, Singh publicly revealed test results for QuantumScape’s solid state battery. QuantumScape’s data showed its battery cell could charge to 80% of capacity in 15 minutes. Further, it retains more than 80% of its capacity after 800 charging cycles, is non-combustable and boasts nearly double the energy density of high-end commercial lithium batteries."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/appl...backed-battery-startup-surging-120235678.html

Apple has been working on this car since 2014. Maybe it will get here in 2024. Who knows. We do need some real competition to Tesla though, so I hope that either Apple or some other company can come up with a vehicle that can truly give Tesla some competition. It’s not a great situation for Tesla to be the only game in town, so to speak.

If any firm has the cash it might be Apple. However, manufacturing an EV is far more difficult than a laptop, smartphone, tablet etc. - Apple doesn’t even manufacture those. And Apple seems like they want to enter with a FSD EV, an even higher degree of difficulty! No one has done a legitimately scalable FSD car yet, Waymo and Tesla have been trying for a long time.

If there’s an Apple car in 2024 I would think it would have to be a collaboration and I can’t imagine why any legacy automaker would help Apple - many are trying (or posturing) to bring their own EVs to market in 2021-2024. If they want to go outside the legacy automakers, it’s taken Tesla 17 years to become profitable as a mostly vertically integrated automaker.

Entering the luxury EV market is easier than making an affordable EV, arguably no one has done the latter yet. Not sure why Apple would want a low volume niche EV - a halo product?

It would be nice to see real mainstream alternatives to Tesla. OTOH, we have Tesla to thank for dragging the legacy automakers along this far...

Last edited:
I can’t imagine why any legacy automaker would help Apple

If Apple wanted to , they could easily buy someone like Ford (Apple had about $200B in cash this fall, Ford's market cap is 35B today). But then they'd have to deal with the legacy union contracts. That'd be a deal breaker for Apple.

What I've heard is that while it's possible that someday they really do a car, they have viewed the project as being a valuable way to develop a number of important technologies - AI/machine learning, battery technology, and others.

All those technologies have broad application.

Wonder how long Apple will support the 2024 iCar before rendering it obsolete and requiring you to buy a new one?

No no no .... it'll *technically* still work three years later, it'll just be so painfully slow that you'll question your life choices :LOL:

I can't imagine Apple producing it's own car. I can see an "Apple" car being produced by one of the major auto makers, or even Tesla. Making cars is a lot more than just hooking up a battery to a motor, not matter how good the battery is. The road safety requirements alone must be a ton of headaches.

Interesting article, with some provocative statements:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcol...hreat-to-teslas-hype-machine/?sh=3226dfd671f2
So, what does Apple have that carmakers would need? Not manufacturing expertise. Except for a manufacturing facility outside Austin that makes extremely-high end Mac desktops, Apple doesn't make any of its products. Foxconn makes the iPhone for Apple on a contract basis. So, Apple only offers something that the credulous buffoons who “follow” Tesla on the sell-side attempt to goose their TSLA price targets with: economic value attributed to ’’connectivity.”

This is jaw-droppingly stupid. NO one is EVER going to pay for connectivity in a car because we already have it. Your iPhone or Android smartphone gives you the ability to navigate, recreate and conversate (hopefully safely) on a hands-free, seamless basis in virtually every car made on planet Earth in 2020. So, why would anyone pay extra for, as one particularly credulous buffoon out it while posting an astronomical TSLA price target “the internet of the car?”

No one will. The internet of the car already exists, and you already own it. It’s your phone.

Of course, there are higher-level uses for connected cars when autonomous driving and vehicle fleet interactions (V2X) are considered. These would cut down on traffic jams and reduce accidents, in theory, because computers are smarter than people. But that market is still in its pre-revenue phase, and despite what idiots who pump TSLA shares would have you believe, Tesla is not even in the Top 5 globally. Alphabet’s Waymo, Amazon’s Zoox, and China’s Didi Chuxing and Baisu are light years ahead of Tesla’s autonomous technology. UBER’s self-driving project was basically an epic fail, but my Silicon Valley contacts tell me some useful tech was developed,and that will be fully utilized now that unit has been bought by Aurora.

But Tesla doesn't have it. Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” vaporware has been foisted on unsuspecting consumers to flatter Tesla’s revenue line, Musk will tweet out “FSD updates” as every quarter comes to a close simply so Tesla can recognize more of the revenues from customer FSD deposits on a percentage-of-completion basis. It’s a joke to folks in the auto industry.

Last edited:
I can see it now. Apple cars competing with Microsoft cars and Linux cars. Oh, the joy!

I can see it now. Apple cars competing with Microsoft cars and Linux cars. Oh, the joy!

My guess is the Microsoft cars will need to rebooted regularly when moving, especially while on the highway. Apple cars will come in beautiful packages but cannot be modified and will be very expensive to repair. Linux cars will never make it into the mainstream, but enthusiasts will brag about how easy they are to operate and modify.

My guess is the Microsoft cars will need to rebooted regularly when moving, especially while on the highway.

That old "Blue Screen Of Death" may take on a whole new meaning!

Hey, watch out for that dune buggy running on a Raspberry Pi!

Wonder how long Apple will support the 2024 iCar before rendering it obsolete and requiring you to buy a new one?
Looks like based on iPhones about six to eight months. Oh, and if the battery degrades, they will drastically reduce performance. For your own safety of course. :D

The thing about Apple [Disclaimer: I bought my first Apple computer 40 years ago] is that they keep coming out with things you thought you had no need for until you suddenly couldn't do without them. They have made a few mistakes over the years (think "Newton") but overall they have been successful because they hire extremely smart people (some of them are my friends). I joke about them sometimes, but I greatly respect them as a company.

I read about Apple's project on self-driving car technology a few years back. It was said that Apple would only provide the technology to car makers, the same as Google was and is planning to do.

Since then, there was not much in the public about Apple's effort. Apparently, they have been working very quietly and do not stir up any publicity. Now, suddenly there's something about batteries and the whole EV, not just the computer and sensor suite for autonomous driving.

I am not a fan of Apple, and have only used two of their products ever, an iPod and an iPhone 3. But I have seen them getting from computers to media players then to smartphones, and blowing away incumbents in the process. Apple has smart engineers and computer science guys, and lots of cash to boot.

I would agree that smart as they are, in order to build some EVs in a matter of a few years they would need a partnership with an existing car maker. This is an interesting development to watch.

More competition the better. I love my Tesla but if Apple makes a better EV great.

Apple's project Titan has been ongoing since 2014. They did not just start yesterday. Apple can maintain a secrecy while exploring different technologies, because with almost $200 billion in cash, it does not need to raise new money from investors or to sell stock shares to finance its endeavors.

Even with that shroud of secrecy, enough info has leaked out about Apple's hiring experts from the auto industry in the past to work on drive train and other mechanical aspects. In 2018, it was rumored that project Titan had 5,000 employees. That's a huge number of employees for a development project. They have to be working on many aspects of the EV, and not just the autonomous driving capability.

PS. Elon Musk just let know that he approached Apple in the past during the production hard time of the Tesla 3, in an attempt to sell Tesla to Apple. Musk said Tim Cook declined to meet to discuss.

Last edited:
PS. Elon Musk just let know that he approached Apple in the past during the production hard time of the Tesla 3, in an attempt to sell Tesla to Apple. Musk said Tim Cook declined to meet to discuss.

And now that the value of Tesla is 10X what the value was at that time I doubt Musk is shedding any tears.

Back
Top Bottom