Input From Tesla Owners?

Very surprised to see several Model Y's with HW4 and new hi-res cameras have been found in delivery inventory by more than one source. I was thinking I was going to have to wait until late 2023/early 2024 to place my order, I may well be able to proceed much sooner. No idea when they will be widely available. Fingers crossed.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/26/tesla-model-y-hardware-4-features/

Yes, I saw that this morning. A friend just took delivery of a Model Y in CA a few days ago. I need to figure out if it has HW4. But he doesn’t plan on buying full self driving so I don’t think it matters much for him.

I just saw that some quickie lube outfit will preform a free oil changes on your Tesla.

Do Teslas have Tom cool their electrical parts?

Last edited:
Apparently there is oil in the gear box and a filter. That probably needs to be changed at some point.

I read that there is a liquid cooling system for the batteries but not sure what liquid.

Last edited:
There are no oil changes on Teslas, that was a joke. Brake fluid needs to be checked periodically (every 2 yrs recommended), but regen brakes last much longer than the traditional friction brakes on most ICE vehicles.

The Model Y has a single speed 9:1 gearbox, but that’s nothing like the transmissions on ICE vehicles. I don’t see any mention of oil or filters. The gearbox uses Dexron 6 ATF fluid, it’s sealed at the factory and normally requires no service.

The Model Y batteries are cooled by a water glycol mixture. From your owners manual “Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances.” Older Teslas used to require battery coolant changes, no longer the case.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-E95DAAD9-646E-4249-9930-B109ED7B1D91.html

Last edited:
A question for Tesla owners. I’m renting a car soon and one option is a Tesla 3. My question is about the initial learning requirements to operate the vehicle. Can they be learned in a few minutes or even ahead of time, or is this something that needs more time upfront and doesn’t really lend itself to rental car type use.

A question for Tesla owners. I’m renting a car soon and one option is a Tesla 3. My question is about the initial learning requirements to operate the vehicle. Can they be learned in a few minutes or even ahead of time, or is this something that needs more time upfront and doesn’t really lend itself to rental car type use.
I recommend watching some orientation videos. Gear selection and braking may be a little different but you can always use the brake pedal at first. The left lever steering wheel for turn signal etc. operates similar to most vehicles. There is no “start” but you do have to select drive or reverse. A lot of settings are on the center screen but these are not essential to driving, more like configurable settings for fine tuning. Your speed display will be on the center screen.

When I test drove a Y I used the parking lot to get a feel for the regenerative braking and then drove some streets using it. You might want to see ahead of time how to use cruise, etc.

Yeah, I would say essential stuff a few minutes.

A question for Tesla owners. I’m renting a car soon and one option is a Tesla 3.

First time I was ever in a Tesla was a couple of years ago when I rented a model Y. It was a little intimidating for the first hour or so, but nothing I couldn't figure out on the fly. By the second day I was totally comfortable* with it.

*By "comfortable" I mean operating it. The car was nowhere near as comfortable as my own, which is one of its main downsides for me.

I'm not a Tesla owner, but I just did a test drive in Model Y (just like the 3). The rep showed me the basics and sent me off in less than 60 seconds for half hour drive in city traffic. I had watched a video or two about the basics, but most of the controls you use continuously aren't that different than other cars. The stuff on the screen is mostly settings that you can stop and figure out as needed. If an iPad doesn't scare you, the Model 3 interface shouldn't either.

I bought a month of full self driving on 6/1, but did not receive an update to FSD beta until this afternoon.

I took the non-beta FSD for a somewhat long drive that involved four different numbered highways. On the highway it performed very well. It drove the entire highway portion until it got off the last exit by itself and took all the interchanges and lane changes. The only intervention I did was to use the spin wheel on the steering wheel to dial down the speed on a couple of the ramps to avoid scaring myself.

I could not help taking a short spin tonight after I finally got the FSDb update. I told it to navigate to my food market about five miles away. It did two stop signs, a right turn (creeping ahead for a better look) at the second sign. Then it stopped for a red light, continued and even turned right into the store parking lot. I sort of freaked out as it turned into the lot and took control, making it weave a little bit. There was a police cruiser parked in the lot. I thought that there might be some explaining to do, but not so.

One funny thing was on the way to the store it kept running the windshield wipers. I think I had some spots on the windshield, so I cleaned it while in the store parking lot and that seemed to stop that behavior.

On the trip back to home it came to a red light with four or five cars facing us in the intersection. It did not seem to be able to react to the turn signal on the cars where it could have taken the turn and was too timid. The car behind me beeped and I took over an took the turn then put FSDb back on.

It did a good job of driving home, but when it came time to turn left into my road, it took longer than I would to turn on the left turn signal. That cut it close with the cars following me. The other thing is it was very strict following the speed limits. So on my road which is 25 mph it seemed like we were sitting still. I had two cars bunching up behind me so I dialed the speed up to 33. It did a good job at the four way stop sign, but maybe seemed to not be sure about the truck facing me. We both were going straight, but the Tesla waited until it saw the truck move.

When we got near my driveway it once again waited too long to turn on the turn signal and I had a car riding my butt, so I had to take over.

Well, all and all an interesting evening. I am glad I finally got the update. I was starting to think that I would go the entire month and not get it.

Hard to believe that I never once used cruise control on my Acura and here I am riding FSD beta.

Audrey, thanks for all the help getting me used to the new car. It will be interesting to hear from midpack Once the hw4 car is purchased.

DH and I test drove a Y today and will pick up a YLR on Sunday for an 'overnighter'. I got a BMW IX xdrive50 BEV last fall and we are looking to replace DH's 2017 Lexus ES350 with a new car with all the recent safety features and other bells and whistles.

I didn't think I would like the Tesla as much as I do. The one concern is parking assist. I love the 360 camera in my EV...makes it so much easier to check on your parking as well as get into tight spaces such as the single bay in our garage. We'll see how the Y performs this function.

One decision to make is do we want 2 BEVs or do we replace DH's car with an ICE. The Tesla/ICE car would be the road trip car as the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is simply not there yet and won't be for some time.

I got my Y 2/26/23 and have mastered pulling into the tight garage going forward and backing out with a tight 90 degree turn in the driveway. I can back out to the road but I still have trouble with backing up in general. The rear camera makes things seem farther away than they are and parking assist seems to think they are closer or play it safe.

I made a few more FSDb trips and am quite impressed. Probably will buy another month.

Maybe I'm being obtuse or overly political but Elon Musk has ruined the idea of ever owning a Tesla for me. The fact that he can personally enrich himself with government subsidies and then move manufacturing to China leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll keep driving my current little eco car until viable competitors are finally released. Everything on market or upcoming in the near future is luxury, an SUV, or most commonly both.

Maybe I'm being obtuse or overly political but Elon Musk has ruined the idea of ever owning a Tesla for me. The fact that he can personally enrich himself with government subsidies and then move manufacturing to China leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll keep driving my current little eco car until viable competitors are finally released. Everything on market or upcoming in the near future is luxury, an SUV, or most commonly both.

I don't want to get into the weeds regarding any CEO.
I do want to reply with facts though.

No manufacturing was moved to China. The factory at Fremont is still there is has been optimizing it's capacity. The factory in China did not slow down production at Fremont, much less replace it.

I recommend watching some orientation videos. Gear selection and braking may be a little different but you can always use the brake pedal at first. The left lever steering wheel for turn signal etc. operates similar to most vehicles. There is no “start” but you do have to select drive or reverse. A lot of settings are on the center screen but these are not essential to driving, more like configurable settings for fine tuning. Your speed display will be on the center screen.

When I test drove a Y I used the parking lot to get a feel for the regenerative braking and then drove some streets using it. You might want to see ahead of time how to use cruise, etc.

Yeah, I would say essential stuff a few minutes.

First time I was ever in a Tesla was a couple of years ago when I rented a model Y. It was a little intimidating for the first hour or so, but nothing I couldn't figure out on the fly. By the second day I was totally comfortable* with it.

*By "comfortable" I mean operating it. The car was nowhere near as comfortable as my own, which is one of its main downsides for me.

I'm not a Tesla owner, but I just did a test drive in Model Y (just like the 3). The rep showed me the basics and sent me off in less than 60 seconds for half hour drive in city traffic. I had watched a video or two about the basics, but most of the controls you use continuously aren't that different than other cars. The stuff on the screen is mostly settings that you can stop and figure out as needed. If an iPad doesn't scare you, the Model 3 interface shouldn't either.

I never thanked you all for the feedback. I did rent a Tesla, drove it around for 2 days, and returned it earlier today. The videos helped a lot with the basic operation, and after a few minutes it did get easy.

I really see why the car is so popular, and if other EVs are similar, why EVs in general are so popular.

Tesla Shanghai production has mostly been for sales in China and nearby countries, so I’m not sure how that’s “moving” production.

You can find some reason to dislike any company if you want to. At least Tesla didn’t take massive bailouts after the 2008 recession. Or deliberately lie to regulators and customers about their emissions. And other carmakers started offshoring their production before Tesla even came into existence. Name a big carmaker that hasn’t taken advantage of substantial tax breaks or subsidies?
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew announced the final stock sale late Monday afternoon, saying that Treasury ultimately recouped $39 billion through the sale of shares, dividends and loan repayments since 2009. But the government pumped $49.5 billion into GM to help it get through a bankruptcy reorganization.

Treasury lost an estimated $1.3 billion in its bailout of Chrysler Group.
Pennsylvania gave German automaker Volkswagen $100 million in incentives in 1976 to locate its first U.S. factory in Westmoreland County.

Michigan, home to General Motors Co, Ford Motor Co and the U.S. unit of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, has granted $7.8 billion since 1984 to the so-called Detroit Three, as well as to Mazda Motor Corp, when it was still allied with Ford.

Far and away the largest subsidy was the $2.3 billion in state and local incentives given to GM in 2009 for its Orion Township plant north of Detroit, which builds the Chevrolet Bolt EV and the Sonic.

Mississippi and Tennessee have provided $1.6 billion and $1.3 billion, respectively, in subsidies to Toyota Motor Corp, Nissan Motor Co and VW.

Nissan has solicited $1.8 billion in subsidies from both Mississippi and Tennessee. Toyota has pulled $836 million from Mississippi, Texas and Kentucky, while Honda Motor Co won $389 million from Alabama and Indiana.

Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Co, which controls Kia Motors Corp, has received $645 million in total from Alabama and Georgia.

German automaker Mercedes-Benz, a unit of Daimler AG, received $457 million from Alabama and BMW $254 million from South Carolina.

Last edited:
I figured it is time to give and update on my FSDb adventure. It has been about two weeks since I got the beta version and I have had some hospital issues with my mother, so I have not been able to take any long trips yet, but I have done several ten or twenty minute rides and am getting used to the way the beta works.

My biggest problem initially was accidentally disengaging beta when I got nervous, but that is under control now. Occasionally I have to tap the accelerator peddle to give it a nudge, but the thing that has given me the most comfort is being able to slow the speed with the spin wheel when I am approaching an area that I want to pay attention to.

Most recently I have gone on four or five small trips without having to intervene at all.

The problem/scary situations I have had so far:

The car was too cautious when at a stop sign with another car to the front left. That driver waved my to go, but the car did not move. When I pushed the accelerator it disengaged FSDb.

One time it was at a T intersection with cars going 50 mph on the road I was turning into. There were three cars coming and the Tesla seemed to be moving forward. The previous day at this intersection it said "creeping forward for better visibility". It may have been creeping, but I don't think there was a prompt. I hit the brake and disengaged FSDb.

One time today it pulled out onto a road with a straight lane and a left turn lane. The car seemed to hesitate, maybe trying to decide which lane to get into. I tapped the accelerator to give it a nudge and it continued without kicking me out of FSDb.

I have three days left until the next monthly payment. I think I will buy another month since I have not had that much free time to play with it. I was thinking today, which would I rather have red paint or a year of FSDb. I think I would pick the FSDb.

I don't drive enough to justify it, but it certainly is cool. Also, TSLA is my largest equity position, so I can keep an eye on things by owning a Model Y and testing FSDb. Maybe I can even write it off as an investment expense :)

I would recommend that anyone buying a Tesla drive the car for a month or two to get used to it, then buy a month of FSD to see what that is like.

Back
Top Bottom