Input From Tesla Owners?

You should have both, straight from the owners manual:

You can choose whether Traffic-Aware Cruise Control engages at the currently detected speed limit or your current driving speed. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed and choose either Speed Limit or Current Speed. If you choose to engage Traffic-Aware Cruise Control at the currently detected speed limit, you can specify an offset. Touch Set Speed Offset. You can choose a Fixed offset, in which the cruising speed adjusts by a specific number of mph (km/h) on all roads, or a Percentage offset, in which the cruising speed is adjusted as a percentage of the road's detected speed limit.

To engage Traffic-Aware Cruise Control when it is available (the car status area of the touchscreen displays the gray cruising speed icon), move the drive stalk down once.

———————————

Before you can operate Autosteer, you must enable it by touching Controls > Autopilot > Autosteer (Beta).

To indicate that Autosteer is available (but not actively steering Model Y), the top corner of the touchscreen displays a gray Autosteer icon next to the driving gear.

To initiate Autosteer, move the drive stalk fully down twice in quick succession.

And from what I’ve read Tesla calls some features Beta to make it legally clear drivers are responsible to intervene in case of accident liability. And they are still in development even if close to ready for prime time?

Last edited:
Thanks.

I will look for the extra icons.

Got my phone paired for talking. My uncle said the sound quality was better than my Samsung.

In case anyone else is interested - Tesla is hosting a live event presenting long time goals and among those their next "3rd gen" car platform.

This is tonight in about 20 minutes and is streamed on Youtube:

My son has a Tesla and it handles so well in bad weather. We had snow for over 24 hours and yesterday morning our roads were a sheet of ice and I had an appointment with a client. He picked me up and while others were sliding all over we had no problem.

The electrician just finished installing my Tesla Wall Charger.

He put a 60 amp breaker, 4 AWG THHN wire in a 1 inch metal conduit. The wire run was about 60 feet.

I showed him my idea for the shorter run and hanging the cord from the ceiling, but he said that he could do a more complicated conduit and still pull the wires. The charger is now in the optimum location next to the garage door. I can charge outside if I want to and it is only about 10 feet from the charger to the car charge port.

I had to pay about $450 for the wall charger and he charged me $1100 for the job. He said that he used to buy a bundle of conduit for $15 but now it was $150. The wire was about $2 a foot.

The job took 4 hours and he is still alive after finishing. It took me longer to clean the area in the basement that he needed to work in than it took him to do the electrical work.

I had some problems connecting to the wall charger WIFI. I tried with a windows laptop and seemed to get connected but the Tesla admin app seemed to think it was not connected. I switched to my Android phone and was able to get connected and see the part of the app where I could set the breaker size.

I tried to set the breaker size to 40 amp (32 amp charging), but I am not sure that it stuck. When I got into the car for charging the screen said 48 amps. I am not sure if that is a default or if it was reading it from the wall charger. I have to decode the green LED's on the charger to see what it thinks it is doing.

I was able to set the charge rate on the car panel to 32 amps and that seems to be what it is charging at. The car showed 33/32 amps, 238 volts. So far it has added about 5%. It was down to 41% and predicts about 4.5 hours to reach 80%.

I also bought the mobile charger for $250 (up from $150 the day before). I will keep it, but not sure what to do with it. Making myself crazy reading about things has me worried that using the mobile charger to plug into a random 15 amp circuit might overload some old unknown type wiring. I read that with the wire normally used for 15 amp circuits you should not charge more than 8 amps on a continuous draw.

Well, things are coming together. Next project is trying to install the mud flaps. Seems simple enough as long as I don't scratch the paint prying out the plugs that attach the mud flaps to.

I watched all of the Investor Day show. I am a bit of a fan boy, but I was really impressed.

Here are a few items that struck me as important.

They said that their future motor design will not use any rare earth minerals.

They announced a fifth Giga Factory in Mexico that will build the next generation vehicle using a completely revamped building and assembly process.

The current process involves moving the entire car around and doing things to it and having to undo some things like putting the doors on, painting, then taking the doors off. A lot of time is wasted by working on only one part of the whole car at a time.

The new process breaks the car down into several independent assemblies that will be fully built in parallel. Only parts needing paint will be painted. Things like the assembly where the seats are will get the seats installed when the assembly is built rather than adding them later.

They said that this new process will allow more "people" to work on the car at the same time since they can each work on their individual separate modules. The modules come together at the end and the car is assembled only once as the final step.

They showed the Optimus Robot walking and assembling another Optimus robot. Quite a lot of progress since the Robot Day a while ago.

Dave Lee on You Tube made an interesting observation. He said that the new manufacturing process with the separate modules is intended to allow humanoid robots to be able to access the assemblies avoiding hard things like crawling around inside the car. Having humanoid robots building the cars could really cut down labor costs.

There was a lot more on how to make a sustainable energy future etc, but too much to type here.

Car is charging and seems to be working properly.

I notice a slight hissing or humming sound more like hissing. Is this normal when the car is charging?

I watched most of the Investor Day presentation, and it was very interesting, there are a lot of very smart people at Tesla. I admire what they have accomplished in the past 20 years, and Elon's tenacity to see it through after many unprofitable years.

That said, there wasn't anything concrete about the new more affordable model other than they'll build them in MX. Nothing significant on HW4 or FSD. :(

The new production method was interesting. Painting body panels separately and assembling them once at the end could be challenging for color blending/uniformity - maybe they won't be coated with paint as we know it?

The Master Plan 3 was interesting, and seems plausible, but Tesla can only do so much to push us along to a sustainable earth. Almost none of my (age) peers are at all concerned, what they believe about hybrids and EVs couldn't be further from facts. Buddy of mine just bought an Ioniq 5 (without looking into charging at all before buying), and the comments he got were idiotic... :( We'll see.

It was sad to remember Master Plan Part Deux 7 years ago, very little progress. With all his genius, Elon has never grasped the idea of 'under promise, over deliver.'
So, in short, Master Plan, Part Deux is:
  • Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
  • Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
  • Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
  • Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it

Last edited:
I tried to set the breaker size to 40 amp (32 amp charging), but I am not sure that it stuck. When I got into the car for charging the screen said 48 amps. I am not sure if that is a default or if it was reading it from the wall charger. I have to decode the green LED's on the charger to see what it thinks it is doing.
48 amps is the default current setting for the wall charger AFAIK.

The mobile charger is good for having in the car in case of “emergency”. We have the adapters for typical RV outlets as well as 110. So if we ever got into trouble we can go begging at the nearest RV park.

It definitely seems like you are getting everything squared.

Sounds when car is charging? Definitely some fans run. I charge mine at home overnight, so I haven’t heard the sounds at home. Tesla has so many safeguards I’m sure things would shut down and report an error if there was an issue. Your display should show you charging status, currents etc. in real time.

Last edited:
All the charging info looks fine. Doing 32/32 amps at 235 volts.

It wants to do what seems like a minor update but I don't have WiFi figured out yet. I may try moving my router to the center of the house and see what happens.

Did not expect the electrician to come so soon, but not complaining.

Edit

Confirmed 3 LEDs lit = 32 amp charge limit.

Finished charging.

Still hear a soft sound. Maybe some sort of computer noise? I shut off climate control and did not see anything obvious left running.

Edit 2

Manual says some sound is normal. That must be it. Maybe still cooling the battery.

Last edited:
All the charging info looks fine. Doing 32/32 amps at 235 volts.

It wants to do what seems like a minor update but I don't have WiFi figured out yet. I may try moving my router to the center of the house and see what happens.

Did not expect the electrician to come so soon, but not complaining.

Edit

Confirmed 3 LEDs lit = 32 amp charge limit.

Finished charging.

Still hear a soft sound. Maybe some sort of computer noise? I shut off climate control and did not see anything obvious left running.

Edit 2

Manual says some sound is normal. That must be it. Maybe still cooling the battery.

Noises from the car are common while charging. When you update the software there are usually noises. If you maintain a temperature ( dog mode) while away it will also make noises. Hope you enjoy your new car.

Thanks.

Happy so far, but have not driven it yet. Waiting for salt on roads to be gone. I installed mud flaps and the small tesla door film arrives today. Good to go after that.

Got barely connected to WIFI and downloaded an update at 8 mbs.

I just noticed yesterday that my town now has Tesla 3 police cars. It even had a bumper guard, to allow for pit maneuvers. Interesting.

I took my new Model Y out for its first drive after bringing it back from Delivery Day. I turned on Auto Steer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control on some rural roads that had lane markings and on a small highway. I was impressed at how well it performed, even without paying extra for FSD.

I turned on FSD display mode. It seemed to see all of the trash cans on the side of the street. It seemed to ignore cars coming at me in the other lane. They did not show up on the display.

When I stopped to talk to my neighbor it showed him walking up to the car, but when he got really close to the drive side door it thought that he was a semi tractor trailer truck 🙂

I will have to look deeper at the instructions, but it seems to not be saving my changes to the profile. At the pickup I set my home address for navigation but today when I said "navigate home" it prompted to set my home address.

I got the mud flaps on. Easy peasy. The PPF arrived yesterday, but have not put that on yet.

The FSD preview does not show oncoming traffic. It turns on graphics of stoplights, stop signs. Just more graphics displayed. It has to be enabled to turn on green light chime I think.

As much as I was looking forward to the car, sad to report I canceled my order today, delivery estimated 3/29-31. Prior estimate was Apr 10-May 5 :confused: Cost me $250 to cancel.

Now that I have seen HW4, the new much higher res cameras (already shipping on MS/X), and the prospect of HD radar and more cameras, I’m going to wait. I know it will cost more and may take until the end of 2023, but I can’t pass on the latest hardware now that I’ve seen it.

Last edited:
Yes, they seem to be doing serious upgrades plus now they have the Ultra Red color (oh wait, that color is for models S and X, never mind!)

Waiting for HW4 would make sense if you plan to buy FSD. I wish mine had the better stuff, but I guess I will have to plan on trading up to the new model if it comes to that.

So close and yet so far. You probably would have gotten the tax credit.

Oh well, we can have another thread in a year.

OK, we finally got our outside Tesla wall charger installed. Very cool because the electrician got up into the covered parking roof (16 ft ceiling for RV) and was able to drop the power lines down the inside of the column and pull it through to the back of the charger box.

Already did the first car charge.

Attachments

• D17C512A-5E8A-497E-826D-BCD208458A30.jpeg
    D17C512A-5E8A-497E-826D-BCD208458A30.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 26
So, if the Dodge Charger introduces an EV version, will the charging unit be called “the charger charger”? And, if someone says “Dodge Charger” how will anyone know if they’re referring to the car or the charging unit?

So, if the Dodge Charger introduces an EV version, will the charging unit be called “the charger charger”? And, if someone says “Dodge Charger” how will anyone know if they’re referring to the car or the charging unit?
And if you use a credit card to purchase a charger for your Dodge Charger you'll have charged a Charger charger.

Audrey,

Very nice installation. Did you use a 60 amp breaker and 4 gauge wire?

Does pressing the button on your charger handle open the charger port on the car? Mine does not seem to.

My license plates came yesterday. I ordered a quick bandit front plate bracket since the one that comes with the car held on by tape worried me.

I broke down and overcame my paranoia over blue tooth and location services so I could connect my phone as a key. So much to !earn with this car.

There was a red model Y parked next to my Acura at the bank yesterday. I started to ask the guy about license plates and found out he has had the car even less time than me. The red is very nice, better looking than my white. I thought red would be too flamboyant, but the Y looked good in red.

Back
Top Bottom