A Tale of Two Quotes for Running Wires and Mounting Rear Surround Speakers

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Now that I've got the new 77" OLED TV I'm finally going to add rear surrounds to my home theater system. I don't feel comfortable with drilling holes in walls and/or the ceiling then running the wires in the ceiling of my finished basement so I called around for some quotes on installation.

After describing the layout of the basement, mounting position, and problems with installation the best that I could, quote #1 came in at $500 to $750. "Of course I'll have to come out and eyeball the job myself but my rate is $150 per hour and this sounds like at least 3-4 hours of work."

The guy from the other company insisted on coming out and seeing the basement layout. He came out and tossed around three possible wire routing scenarios, then started digging in deeper by removing a couple of can ceiling lights, shining a light in there and looking around, sticking his phone up there and taking photos. He also removed the grill cover on a cold air return vent and shined a light in there, even held a mirror in there and looked around, took pictures. Asked a bunch more questions. He was here for 45 minutes and came up with a solid plan. The cost? "About $200 plus or minus $25. This looks like about 2.5 to 3 hours and my hourly rate is $75."

I'm going with guy #2.

sure why not? you got to meet him and see how he comports himself too. That is a bonus.
I have several tools in my arsenal for fishing in wire. One of them is in the rafters of the garage, 3 10' long sticks of 1/2" CPVC pipe glued together. It is remarkably flexible and you can roll it into about a 6' diameter circle, then fish it into a space as you unroll it.
I also have the traditional 6~8' long fibreglass rods that are most commonly used.
I did a job with the CPVC that was about 15 runs of CAT5A across a combination of hard and suspended ceilings. You just give it a rattle and telegraph a bounce into it when you find a little obstruction.
Some guys have been using RC cars on the right lids. That is win!
One time I sent the rottweiler through the neighbor's crawlspace pulling an extension cord across for Christmas lights. He came out all cobwebbed but happy as usual.

Last edited:
Guy #2 is so cheap, considering he already spent 45 min for a free consultation. And he seems to know what he is doing.

Is there are reason you are not considering wireless rear speakers?

#2 seems almost too cheap, probably newer to being in business for himself? and lower than others if he's still trying to earn a rep.

Assuming both are licensed/insured with review histories that are somewhat equal?

Qs Laptop: as I recall, you were the one whose advice I took when adjusting settings for new rear speakers. That worked well and I’m enjoying them. Great addition here - thanks!

Mine are wireless and I’m very glad for that. I especially like the fact that they are easy to move around if I should choose. Unlikely but the option’s there.

What speakers are you going with that compliment your Chanes? What gauge speaker wire is being quoted or are you providing that? Speakers ceiling mount or wall mounted?

Is there are reason you are not considering wireless rear speakers?

The reason I didn't go with wireless speakers is because they need to be plugged into 110v. outlets and I don't have the proper setup for that nor do I want exposed power cords running to my wall mounted speakers. Also, while the sound quality is pretty good, it's not great.

Running wires inside walls or ceilings can be easy or hard. Guy #2 knew that and scoped out the difficulty job before giving a quote. Hire him and keep his number handy for future projects.

NW-Bound said:
Guy #2 is so cheap, considering he already spent 45 min for a free consultation. And he seems to know what he is doing.

That's the thing. He did the job already with his research.

I got the sense that he knew what he was doing, both from how he approached my installation plus when talking about the various tools he had to overcome my install problems.

#2 seems almost too cheap, probably newer to being in business for himself?

Says he's been doing this for 7 years and was on a job when I called him. Drives a one of those newer smaller panel vans. He's booked for the next 10 days and he could work every day if he wanted to, and says he sometimes does.

Running wires inside walls or ceilings can be easy or hard. Guy #2 knew that and scoped out the difficulty job before giving a quote. Hire him and keep his number handy for future projects.

I'm already thinking of having him install an over-the-air antenna in the attic and running coax to wall boxes he will install near our TV's.

What speakers are you going with that compliment your Chanes?

The Chane A4.5's. They are on sale for 50% off.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chane-a4-5.html

What gauge speaker wire is being quoted or are you providing that?

He supplies that and said 14 gauge in a round casing for easier pulling through walls and ceilings.

Speakers ceiling mount or wall mounted?

Wall mounted. The speakers are wedge shaped with keyhole mounts on either end, meaning the speakers can be mounted vertically in either orientation. Since they will be mounted on the wall perhaps 6.5 feet high I will mount them so the wedge is oriented so they fire downwards. In this position the tweeter will be on the "bottom" for the cabinet closer to ear level, which is desired.

Last edited:
sure why not? you got to meet him and see how he comports himself too. That is a bonus.
I have several tools in my arsenal for fishing in wire. One of them is in the rafters of the garage, 3 10' long sticks of 1/2" CPVC pipe glued together. It is remarkably flexible and you can roll it into about a 6' diameter circle, then fish it into a space as you unroll it.
I also have the traditional 6~8' long fibreglass rods that are most commonly used.
I did a job with the CPVC that was about 15 runs of CAT5A across a combination of hard and suspended ceilings. You just give it a rattle and telegraph a bounce into it when you find a little obstruction.
Some guys have been using RC cars on the right lids. That is win!
One time I sent the rottweiler through the neighbor's crawlspace pulling an extension cord across for Christmas lights. He came out all cobwebbed but happy as usual.

Interesting story about the dog! That's funny.

The guy said he has 6' long sections of rods that attach by screwing together pieces to make them longer. Plus he's got various longer single pieces like you described. He said he also has "glow sticks" that glow in the dark and aid in seeing in dark runs. He also has a rod tip with a powerful magnet on it that can pull cable with just the magnet holding the wire.

This is one reason I chose to put in a drop ceiling in our basement my office/theater area. Makes it much easier for running all kinds of wires :D.

But seriously, even if the 2nd guy was going to charge more, I would hire him over the first one. From what you described he seemed more thorough and interested in doing it right. It reminded me of the folks who redid our driveway years back. They were the highest bid, but came across as so much more professional and prepared. Not only did they do a great job, but the owner stopped by a few times in the net few years to see how the driveway was - one occasion he felt something could have been done better and sent a crew out to improve things, free of charge.

I have a couple of friends who are my go to folks for plumbing and electrical work. They do such a thorough and professional job I don't ask them what they will charge until the job is done, that is how much I trust them.

I have the magnets also. Those are handy for getting wire up some floors, you plumb bob a metal piece down and then reach in the hole with a magnet on a stick and capture it.
@jollystomper, the new home will have an unfinished basement for my wire running pleasure :D
I will also install smurf tube runs to an equipment closet, and network cable drops.
Smurf is great for future proofing. you can pull whatever comes along through smurf home runs.
I can use CAT 6 for any old thing, copper is copper. It can carry a doorbell signal, motion sensors or switches for alarms, low voltage control circuits. Temperature and humidity sensors.

I'm already thinking of having him install an over-the-air antenna in the attic and running coax to wall boxes he will install near our TV's.

You should sent him out my way...I would like to run some networking cables to a few rooms but I have hesitated on getting estimates because I know it will be expensive.

On a somewhat related note, when walking the 'hood a couple of days ago, I noticed one of my neighbors had THREE "Geek Squad" vans in the driveway. I don't know what they were having installed/fixed but I don't think it can be very cheap!

The Chane A4.5's. They are on sale for 50% off.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chane-a4-5.html

He supplies that and said 14 gauge in a round casing for easier pulling through walls and ceilings.

Wall mounted. The speakers are wedge shaped with keyhole mounts on either end, meaning the speakers can be mounted vertically in either orientation. Since they will be mounted on the wall perhaps 6.5 feet high I will mount them so the wedge is oriented so they fire downwards. In this position the tweeter will be on the "bottom" for the cabinet closer to ear level, which is desired.

You will have a terrific setup, as good sound certainly adds to the experience. My TV is in an upstairs man-cave, but the ceiling is constructed such that it can't easily be accessed to install rear speakers unless I run the wiring under the carpet which I will not do. I can at least get two speakers almost into a side alignment with the sofa, so that will have to do as quasi rears.

I have the magnets also. Those are handy for getting wire up some floors, you plumb bob a metal piece down and then reach in the hole with a magnet on a stick and capture it.
@jollystomper, the new home will have an unfinished basement for my wire running pleasure :D
I will also install smurf tube runs to an equipment closet, and network cable drops.
Smurf is great for future proofing. you can pull whatever comes along through smurf home runs.
I can use CAT 6 for any old thing, copper is copper. It can carry a doorbell signal, motion sensors or switches for alarms, low voltage control circuits. Temperature and humidity sensors.

I use neodymium magnets often, they will stick where drywall screws are, so you can find studs or joists. Put two or three on the wall or ceiling and you know 16" or 24" away is another stud or joist. Almost always:facepalm:

The install of the speaker wires and surround speakers was done yesterday. The installer said it was a very challenging job and he had underestimated the time it would take to complete. Running the wires for the right surround speaker was especially difficult because the need to get the wires past the steel I-beam running lengthwise down the center of my two story walkout.

All told he was here for almost 5 hours. He did a really nice job. Bill came to $300 total and I tipped him on top of it. (He had originally estimated it would be around $200.)

I ran my Yamaha AVR's room correction software and fired up content with a bunch of action--Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, Jurassic Park Dominion, The Expanse, etc. Makes a big difference in total immersion in the content.

Yes, the surround speakers make a big difference in action movies and when there are objects on the screen that are moving front to back and left to right. But an unexpected bonus was the dialogue was much clearer. I was really pleasantly surprised by this. I've been watching Brit Box content and I did not need to rewind and replay portions with closed captioning activated.

I'll probably have the guy install an over-the-air antenna in my attic and run coax to the rooms with TV's in them as part of my cut-the-cord strategy.

Chane-A4.5-lo-res.jpg

Yes, the surround speakers make a big difference in action movies and when there are objects on the screen that are moving front to back and left to right. But an unexpected bonus was the dialogue was much clearer. I was really pleasantly surprised by this. I've been watching Brit Box content and I did not need to rewind and replay portions with closed captioning activated.
I mentioned in another thread that after we got a center speaker the dialogue became clear and audible and we no longer had to use close captions. Previous to that all the audio came through 2 tower speakers.

Yes, a quality center speaker makes a huge difference with dialogue. I didn't really have much trouble before the surrounds, except for certain British words or slang that I wasn't sure about. But with the surrounds there is another level of clarity.

The installer said it was a very challenging job and he had underestimated the time it would take to complete.

I'll probably have the guy install an over-the-air antenna in my attic and run coax to the rooms with TV's in them as part of my cut-the-cord strategy.

My guess is that your next install won’t be such a great deal. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom