Amazon Prime movie suggestions

Premonition - It wasn’t great, but it kept my attention. I was about to do my workout when DW turned this on. I got caught up in it enough to stick with it until the end. Told DW, sarcastically, that she was messing with my schedule (late in working out), and she about busted out laughing. “You don’t have a schedule!”.

Here’s a summary:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/premonition

Struck out last night on Prime movies, started watching 'Honest Thief' (Liam Neeson) and the storyline was so ridiculous stopped watching it after 30 minutes, should have stopped long before that. Then started watching Capone (Tom Hardy) and that one only lasted 20 minutes before I switched it off.

I watched "Honest Thief" also but I finished it. Oh my God was that a dumb plot. How does that even get through to where someone says "Yea, let's make this movie"?

Not available without paying to rent. Suggestions -on this particular
thread- of rentable movies are not specific to Amazon and can be rented on many platforms. I request we limit the suggestions to those available with Prime subscription and not require rental fees.

OK...we got it free through our library system via Kanopy.

Not available without paying to rent. Suggestions -on this particular
thread- of rentable movies are not specific to Amazon and can be rented on many platforms. I request we limit the suggestions to those available with Prime subscription and not require rental fees.

Agree with this.

Skin.

Based on a true story about a woman who was born to white South African family but she had black features. She grew up during apartheid

About a week ago, I watched the documentary "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My".

Was a really good documentary that went back and forth from the present (he doesn't look much anymore like the way he did earlier days) and early years.

On Hulu:

I just watched a documentary called Far from the Tree.

The story of several different families/sets of parents "journeying towards acceptance of their unique children." Based on the bestseller by Andrew Solomon.

It was very moving; it made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me want to read the book.

I made the mistake of watching The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime.

It's an interesting idea for a SciFi movie, but quickly devolves into a shoot-em-up, blow up everything type of movie with the usual nasty alien monsters and no real explanation of how and why the stupid invaders want to destroy humanity other than they do and are good at it. Character growth is shallow, IMHO. IOW, if you like gore, gunfire, ugly bad monsters, last minute rescues, and things blown up you will love it. If you want something like Star Trek, BattleStar Glactica or The Expanse then don't bother.

My 2¢.

Last edited:
Anyone watch Unhinged with Russell Crowe. It’s about a guy that has just a touch, of road rage. It’s pretty intense and a good reminder that you never know what kind of day the person in the next car is having.

It's an interesting idea for a SciFi movie, but quickly devolves into a shoot-em-up, blow up everything type of movie with the usual nasty alien monsters and no real explanation of how and why the stupid invaders want to destroy humanity other than they do and are good at it. Character growth is shallow, IMHO. IOW, if you like gore, gunfire, ugly bad monsters, last minute rescues, and things blown up you will love it. If you want something like Star Trek, BattleStar Glactica or The Expanse then don't bother.

My 2¢.
I take your 2cents and raise ya. I thought it was a good movie, worth the time spent to watch. Neighbors and friends also enjoyed. So different strokes for different folks.

My 2¢.

Did you like independence day?

My 2¢.

+1 I generally like Pratt and the premise was okay (never mind a few plot holes large enough to drive a truck through) but holy moley this devolved fast into a mindless, generic, idiotic blow them up fest.

If you ever watch the Youtube series "Pitch Meeting" watch the one about this piece of "cinema" The fact Amazon paid 200MM for this...:facepalm:

My 2¢.

It was derivative, reminding me simultaneously of Alien, Independence Day, and Predator. Chris Pratt barely showed emotion and was probably the wrong actor for the role. It did seem that the guns never ran out of bullets. Still, I wasn't bored, it was fun to look at, and it gave my home theater sound system a good workout. I'd give it 7 out of 10 stars.

It was derivative, reminding me simultaneously of Alien, Independence Day, and Predator. Chris Pratt barely showed emotion and was probably the wrong actor for the role. It did seem that the guns never ran out of bullets. Still, I wasn't bored, it was fun to look at, and it gave my home theater sound system a good workout. I'd give it 7 out of 10 stars.

Have you noticed that the sound volume varied greatly, like in a movie theatre? We had to adjust the volume several times during the show. If we had the volume just right for the dialogue, the war scenes became way, WAY too loud. It got a bit annoying.

Have you noticed that the sound volume varied greatly, like in a movie theatre? We had to adjust the volume several times during the show. If we had the volume just right for the dialogue, the war scenes became way, WAY too loud. It got a bit annoying.

This is a most irritating facet of a lot of movies now days. Particularly so with surround sound systems (ours is 7-1) where it can rattle the windows. Another time is the sound track during the credits -- in TV shows as well as movies. Other than my whining to a group like this one, I am unsure what I can do about it -- other than (my fall-back) hit the mute button.

I also enjoyed The Tomorrow War and thought Chris Pratt was an interesting choice for an action hero movie. Thought it was great that such a big spectacle movie came straight to Amazon Prime.

We had to turn down the bass on our sub. The dialogue was quiet so I order to hear them speaking we had the volume up but every bass hit rattled the house. We took the sub from 70% to 30% and it was much more enjoyable.

We had to turn down the bass on our sub. The dialogue was quiet so I order to hear them speaking we had the volume up but every bass hit rattled the house. We took the sub from 70% to 30% and it was much more enjoyable.

Heh - I watched on July 4th, it was the perfect movie as I cranked up my soundbar and sub and drowned out all the fireworks that were going off. As a result my dog, who usually gets very anxious on the 4th, remained very calm as he didn't hear the fireworks. :)

I also watched and enjoyed The Tomorrow War last night. I agree it did not develop the overall story as well as it could have, but I did enjoy the concept of Pratt teaming up with his daughter in the future to find a solution to the problem.

My expectations for movies are pretty low...I do not want to be preached at, made to feel horrible about myself, and I just want to be entertained. Mostly escapism.

I also really enjoy The Expanse series on Amazon Prime.

Back
Top Bottom