Anyone AT&T Landline without Internet?

I know you said FIL would not use a smartphone but I remembered another member in this group had a similar issue with his elderly relative.

A quick update: I got a used unlocked Moto phone from amazon and installed a launcher called baldphone which offers simple but highly customizable layout for elderly.

There are quite a few senior phone app launchers in the play store, you might want to check them out, everything will be bigger on a smartphone screen
Appreciate you sharing the info. I agree that a smartphone would most likely be simpler to use. He flat out refuses to discuss a smart phone even though he could ignore all the capabilities. It's frustrating.

No old land lines to connect. His original place was destroyed by a small tornado that blew through there. Even the original pole was destroyed. He built a new place.

Update: I see it has plug for phone directly. So looks like something to explore. Thanks

Yes, plug a phone (seehttps://www.amazon.com/AT-Trimline-Corded-Required-Wall-Mountable/dp/B000050FZP/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZXPJ6IHJJ3DW&dchild=1&keywords=landline+phone&qid=1629251229&sprefix=land+lin%2Caps%2C247&sr=8-3) in to the adaptor. The adaptor connects to a cell service, also offered by Consumer Cellular. Order voice only service as no need for a data or text plan. Around $20 per month after you purchase toe adaptor.

I can see the contacts being confusing. Especially on a flip phone.

How about compromise and ditch the contact list put print out a phone list and keep in a binder. That way he can just dial the old fashioned way (if he can figure out how to dial using a flip phone).
Heh! I had just mentioned this exact same thing to my wife about 20 minutes ago. I mentioned that in looking at this the only difference with cell phone is he has to press the green button after entering the number to connect the call. Told her to write down the number and words "Press Green Button" after each number. Lol. We'll see how this goes. [emoji39]. If not the suggestion about the Consumer Cellular looks like a viable and reasonable option.

if you can get internet I would try ooma and use an older phone. dont tell them it is voip

He'd still have a router, so trying to avoid that. As when router stops working and needs reset I'm sure he'd be lost. The phone portion is what's cheap with AT&T (about $20), they internet is the expensive part ($70). But not finding any other options.

Get a router with an on/off button on the back, if he can turn a light switch on/off he could do that.
Or he could unplug and plug it back in, like a coffee maker or toaster.

Is there no other provider of internet for him in the area ?

Just get Internet and a MagicJack, plug old school phone in and it works just like the old days.

Get a router with an on/off button on the back, if he can turn a light switch on/off he could do that.
Or he could unplug and plug it back in, like a coffee maker or toaster.

Is there no other provider of internet for him in the area ?

Just get Internet and a MagicJack, plug old school phone in and it works just like the old days.

Yes, but internet is likely to be more expensive than a basic cell phone talk only rate.

Again, this assumes good cell service, but OP said they tried to get him to use a smartphone, then a flip, so I assume that is a safe assumption? But then again, I'm only assuming the safety of that assumption.

-ERD50

Similar situation

Is anyone using AT&T phone service without internet?

Background: FIL is looking to set-up new service for phone. Rural area, no services currently installed at the house (phone or internet). We got him a simple cell flip phone (his choice, he refuses to use any smartphone). Unfortunately he is confused on how to use a simple flip cell phone, so we are looking to get him a landline.

He has no interest or need with internet. Talked with AT&T and they said they can only offer phone with internet, approx $90/mo (a lot for something that he only needs for handful of calls per month). I've seen mention of "traditional landlines" offered by AT&T but salesperson has no idea what I'm talking about. Is the traditional landline now gone by way of the dinosaur?

My mom and dad are in a similar situation. No internet / no data.
Dad was just forced to upgrade his old AT&T flip-phone from 3G
to a new 4G flip-phone. AT&T sent him a new 4G Flip-phone.
Essentially, they only use the phone to call long distance.

My dad was having issues with the new 4G flip-phone.
Thank goodness i recently spent a couple weeks with them
got the phone converted, and taught him how to use it (mostly).
Not exactly the same as his old 3G flip-phone.

They also have an AT&T land/phone line for the past 50 years.
In fact, I opened a repair ticket with AT&T online, for a humming noise
issue they started having on their landline. AT&T came out to the
house a day or 2 later and fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Interestingly, we have a land line because we liked the copper wire and dedicated power source so we would have a line out when power got cut. Last time the power went out the phone went out. I think the copper lines are being replaced by FIOS or other VOIP connections :(

What is his income? If he qualifies for the "lifeline" federal program he can probably get a wireline phone for free, plus I would expect that the feds would force wireline carriers to cooperate. https://www.fcc.gov/general/lifeline-program-low-income-consumers
With his SS and pension, he sneaks over the 135% poverty line. Like the ACA cliff with that hard cut off he would probably come out ahead with benefits available to the elderly by forgiving part of this SS or pension and get sneak back under that line. Let me say it's been interesting to learn about his finances.

Thanks to suggestions and comments. Between posts here and further research I've done, it seems there is no way to get him on a "copper wire" (low cost) connection. It seems the push to expand broadband to rural America has resulted in dropping of copper lines there.

There were many good suggestions for alternatives to a phone, but most still required some sort of internet. Once committed to AT&T for internet it's basically the cheapest option to just get their phone vs. some other VOIP option. And it's the most straight forward should issues come up, it's AT&T for support (a bless and a curse). And many options seem easy, knowing how tech challenged (and his unwillingness to accept tech), it's not as easy as some would think with the FIL. Come on, a cell phone is simple to use for the majority of us yet he complains every time to my wife about "my cell phone just doesn't work". Sigh, it does....

The suggestion from RE2Boys on the Consumer Cellular connection is something that I need to look at as it seems reasonable option.

My elderly mom. Has AT&T, phone only. Sunnyvale, California
July 25,2021 bill.

Plan and service: 43.58
AT&T long dist. 12.63
Total: $ 56.21

I think, anything over 12 miles or so?, is considered long distance, and she is charged
a per minute fee.

Hope this helps....good luck...

Back
Top Bottom