Are all iPhone cables terrible?

SmallCityDave

Recycles dryer sheets
I've had the worst luck with iPhone cables especially using Apple Carplay it works until I move the phone, any good suggestions from Amazon?

You may have to clean the charging port on the iPhone. Mine fills up with lint because I carry my phone in my pocket. I simply unfold a paper clip and scrape the inside of the charging port with the end of the clip. I’m always surprised how much lint comes out of it. Then it works like new again.

You may have to clean the charging port on the iPhone. Mine fills up with lint because I carry my phone in my pocket. I simply unfold a paper clip and scrape the inside of the charging port with the end of the clip. I’m always surprised how much lint comes out of it. Then it works like new again.
Thanks for the reminder. I do this from time to time but haven't lately. I just did and got a ton of fuzz out of there.

OP, definitely try that and see if it helps. I've never had a problem with the cords otherwise.

I think I'd get a can of that compressed air and blow it out with that rather than using a paperclip.

As for cables, I've not had any issues with the Apple cables. I've had some issues with non-Apple cables, but they were cables that came with cheap charging blocks. If I need a cable and don't want to get it from Apple, I buy cables from Anker. I did have an issue with one of their wireless chargers, but their customer service was very good. They couldn't solve the issue, but seemed genuinely perplexed. They had me send the unit back, sent me a replacement, it did the same thing and they refunded my money. Never once did they do anything but try to fix the issue to my satisfaction.

I now avoid the generic straight-from-China cables and usually go with Anker brand. High quality and no problems.

I now avoid the generic straight-from-China cables and usually go with Anker brand. High quality and no problems.

Second the recommendation on Anker. Solid iPhone charging cables. Have used them for years.

If you buy knock offs, Apple kills them every so often with updates.

The original equipment cables and adapters work best, but they are $$$.

It is frustrating. I've tried a few knock offs and they work for a while. The AC ends are also finicky. Some work but charge very slow. It is very hard to tell knock offs from the real ones too.

You are not alone. The iPhone 12 didn't even come with the AC wall adapter now. Doh.

I think I'd get a can of that compressed air and blow it out with that rather than using a paperclip.
Not an Apple guy here, instead I have Android Moto. Moto phones have settled on USB-C. After 3 years, my charging got wonky.

Then I read this thread and have a Eureka moment!

The port had lint and dirt in there. I whittled down a wood toothpick (non-metalic, I don't recommend a paper clip), dislodge the dirt, and then hit it with canned duster.

Like new! Smart ER people come to the rescue again.

For disclosure, I've been using a paper clip for years without any issue. YMMV.

To be fair, I think all Apple cables are terrible. It is all cheap stuff that appear to be unique but at the end of the day, the cable just doesn't last as long as the competitors.
I have a IBM power cable from 1995 and the thing was definitely abused but it works like new. My 2019 MacBook pro power cable turned yellow and the cable's rubbery skin started to peel off. Maybe I should say it just broke down in little pieces revealing the twisted metal hair shielding. Just check online with keywords like magsafe cable fraying and you will find tons of complaints.

Last edited:
To be fair, I think all Apple cables are terrible. It is all cheap stuff that appear to be unique but at the end of the day, the cable just doesn't last as long as the competitors.

To be even more fair, in 30 years of using Apple products I've never had one of their cables fail. Many generic cables have failed on me.

To be even more fair, in 30 years of using Apple products I've never had one of their cables fail. Many generic cables have failed on me.

That’s my experience as well. Not that many years, but still quite a few. OTOH, the cables I’ve ordered from Amazon Basics have had a high failure rate and some have broken connectors.

+1

Several years ago I went through a period where I tested USB cables specifically for charging. (USB multimeter and dummy load.) Many had cheaped out with gossamer thin copper wires that could not support a 2 amp charging current. I also tested chargers and found many that didn't meet their specs.

Monoprice had some cables that were adequate (marked 28/24 AWG), but Anker's cables and chargers consistently performed well so I have standardized on them and don't bother to test any more. I buy their "Powerline" cables, which I see are also available for iThings.

As for cables, I've not had any issues with the Apple cables. I've had some issues with non-Apple cables, but they were cables that came with cheap charging blocks. If I need a cable and don't want to get it from Apple, I buy cables from Anker.
We've had 4 iPhones and 5 iPads, and never had a single issue with the Apple cables supplied, used them almost daily? I've used them to charge (of course), sync with my PC, and plug into several cars to play music or with CarPlay - not a single issue ever.

I am aware that some aftermarket cables are equivalents, and others definitely not. I couldn't tell which the OP was asking about...

Thanks for the reminder. I do this from time to time but haven't lately. I just did and got a ton of fuzz out of there.

OP, definitely try that and see if it helps. I've never had a problem with the cords otherwise.

I thought that was a wonky suggestion to use a paperclip but I did that and compressed air and what do you know.... it works!

Thank you all for your help!

I bought a package of six cheap cables. All of them failed within four months, some in only two moths. Not only were they expensive given their short lifespan, they were one of those waste of resources that I find objectionable.

Ever since I read the book Cheap! The High Cost of Discount Culture which is about low-cost stuff that doesn't last long and its financial and environmental impact, I have been careful to avoid things like the above cables.

I bought a package of six cheap cables. All of them failed within four months, some in only two moths.

Only took two moths to eat those cheap cables. Must have had wool insulation. Cheap! :LOL:

Just pulling your leg, Chuckanut. Your point about e-waste is important. We are generating incredible amounts of it for no reason except for some factory to make a few cents on a piece that they can rinse and repeat on.

39 months ago I switched from Apple+Verizon, to LG(Android)+Cricket. I haven't had even one single complaint about anything since then. My Amazon Basics cables are fine although one has lost a little insulation near the connector. It still works perfectly, though!

Of course it has only been 3 years! :D Maybe next year everything will fall apart.

P.S. - - so far during those 39 months my savings going from Verizon to Cricket have added up to >$1,222, assuming that Verizon hasn't raised its prices at all. But, this observation about my savings belong on some other thread so I'll shut up now.... :LOL:

I can’t speak to iPhone cables, but I have had bad luck with genuine Apple iPad cables. I haven’t tried generic cables from Amazon, etc.

Back
Top Bottom