Unusual iPhone Battery issue

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This morning my iPhone battery was fully discharged, despite it being at 80% when I went to bed last night. I checked the battery app and it showed “screen off activity” from 9pm-2am, then again at 7am. The “battery use by app” showed 94% of the usage came from Camera. The iPhone battery health tool shows 88%, so the battery itself looks good.

I can’t imagine the camera app consuming this amount of battery, especially when it wasn’t being used, so it could be a bug or some sort. A search brings up others with this complaint but no real solution and only suggests a reboot.

Has anyone else dealt with this , and if so, what helped?

Attachments

• IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 41
Related to a known bug in the current iOS.
Phones are randomly turning themselves off for some random number of hours during the night. Apple is well aware of it, and it should be fixed with the next release. It happened to me once about a week ago, but not since.

Related to a known bug in the current iOS.
Phones are randomly turning themselves off for some random number of hours during the night. Apple is well aware of it, and it should be fixed with the next release. It happened to me once about a week ago, but not since.

How strange. Thanks for the info, I’ll make sure to remain current with iOS updates.

How strange. Thanks for the info, I’ll make sure to remain current with iOS updates.

The next version, iOS 17.1, has gone through three rounds of beta testing and the release candidate is now in the testing phase. Should be released by Tuesday.

My iphone now shows IOS 17.0.3 is now available for download and install. Hopefully that is not the version giving you fits.

My iphone now shows IOS 17.0.3 is now available for download and install. Hopefully that is not the version giving you fits.

That has been out for some time. It's 17.1 that will be here in a couple of days.

You made me check. Even though I have automatic updates set to on, it never does it. I am now updating to 16.7.1 I have an SE if that matters. Weird.

This morning my iPhone battery was fully discharged, despite it being at 80% when I went to bed last night. I checked the battery app and it showed “screen off activity” from 9pm-2am, then again at 7am. The “battery use by app” showed 94% of the usage came from Camera. The iPhone battery health tool shows 88%, so the battery itself looks good.

I can’t imagine the camera app consuming this amount of battery, especially when it wasn’t being used, so it could be a bug or some sort. A search brings up others with this complaint but no real solution and only suggests a reboot.

Has anyone else dealt with this , and if so, what helped?

So strange! Which model of iPhone do you have?

This, and related bugs have turned up in various iPhone models, no rhyme or reason to it -- just random, and usually not repeated.

You made me check. Even though I have automatic updates set to on, it never does it. I am now updating to 16.7.1 I have an SE if that matters. Weird.
I think the "older" iPhones have iOS 17 as an optional update. We have 8-month old iPhone 13s, and both were updated to iOS 16.7.1 a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom