Best Scenes in Movie History?

fun thread..

- just about any scene from The Music Man but the opening (salesmen on the train), closing (parade) and the pool hall (Trouble right here in River City). one of the few movies we saw together as a family. i was about 12 at the time and loved it!

- just about any scene in Field of Dreams but especially when Ray (Kevin Kostner) meets and has a catch with his dad, John (Dwier Brown). i'd give nearly anything to be able to see my dad again (i lost him when i was 18). that scene, even just thinking about it...

Raiders of the Lost Ark lacks the drama of many other films mentioned but it's almost a collection of memorable scenes. Jones's escape from the temple with the golden idol, his meeting with g-men, Nepal drinking scene, and many to follow.

The reveal scene from "the Crying Game"....(Also love the song of same name in the movie...

The beach scene from "Mar Adentro" starring Javier Bardem playing a quadraplegic who argues for the right to take his own life after paralysis from a diving accident... where he is dreaming/remembering being able to walk and run on a sunny day on the beach with a lover...walking, kissing, to "Nessun Dorma"....I can't watch this without crying.

https://youtu.be/PMNT5aBWbOU

The reveal scene from "the Crying Game"....(Also love the song of same name in the movie...

The beach scene from "Mar Adentro" starring Javier Bardem playing a quadraplegic who argues for the right to take his own life after paralysis from a diving accident... where he is dreaming/remembering being able to walk and run on a sunny day on the beach with a lover...walking, kissing, to "Nessun Dorma"....I can't watch this without crying.

https://youtu.be/PMNT5aBWbOU

Just watched it. Shed a few myself.
Thanks for posting.

I always remember the famous jump scene from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

Also from Network ...

The scene where Ned Beatty delivers his Primal Forces speech to Peter Finch in a darkened boardroom.

Terms of Endearment

The hospital bed scene near the end where she says goodbye to her kids.....

Raiders of the Lost Ark lacks the drama of many other films mentioned but it's almost a collection of memorable scenes. Jones's escape from the temple with the golden idol, his meeting with g-men, Nepal drinking scene, and many to follow.

Whip vs sword!

Here's a rare one: a war movie that ends in a crisis of conscience.

... and, of course, a big explosion.

Last edited:
Caddy Shack

CARL SPACKLER:

What an incredible Cinderella story. This unknown comes outta nowhere to lead the pack at Augusta. He’s at the final hole. He’s about 455 yards away, he’s gonna hit about a two iron, I think … (Carl reels back and swats the head off of a mum. Petals fly like confetti) Boy, he got all of that. The crowd is standing on its feet here at Augusta. The normally reserved Augusta crowd is going wild … (he pauses as he notices some golfers coming) for this young Cinderella who’s come out of nowhere. He’s got about 350 yards left. He’s going to hit about a five iron, it looks like, don’t you think? (Carl pulls the grass whip back to demolish the next mum) He’s got a beautiful backswing … That’s … Oh! He got all of that one! He’s gotta be pleased with that. The crowd is just on its feet here. He’s a Cinderella boy, tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. And he’s got about 195 yards left, and he’s got a, it looks like he’s got about an eight iron. This crowd has gone deadly silent. Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become the Masters champion. (Carl reels back one last time and — Swat! — blasts the third mum to smithereens) It looks like a mirac . . . It’s in the hole! IT’S IN THE HOLE!!!

Caddy Shack

CARL SPACKLER:

What an incredible Cinderella story. This unknown comes outta nowhere to lead the pack at Augusta. He’s at the final hole. He’s about 455 yards away, he’s gonna hit about a two iron, I think … (Carl reels back and swats the head off of a mum. Petals fly like confetti) Boy, he got all of that. The crowd is standing on its feet here at Augusta. The normally reserved Augusta crowd is going wild … (he pauses as he notices some golfers coming) for this young Cinderella who’s come out of nowhere. He’s got about 350 yards left. He’s going to hit about a five iron, it looks like, don’t you think? (Carl pulls the grass whip back to demolish the next mum) He’s got a beautiful backswing … That’s … Oh! He got all of that one! He’s gotta be pleased with that. The crowd is just on its feet here. He’s a Cinderella boy, tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. And he’s got about 195 yards left, and he’s got a, it looks like he’s got about an eight iron. This crowd has gone deadly silent. Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become the Masters champion. (Carl reels back one last time and — Swat! — blasts the third mum to smithereens) It looks like a mirac . . . It’s in the hole! IT’S IN THE HOLE!!!

I was thinking about the final scene when Carl blows up the golf course pursuing the gopher, resulting in Danny's putt going into the hole for a birdie and a win. But I'm glad you mentioned the movie itself! :cool:

That scene in Witness where Harrison Ford gazes upon the bathing Kelly McGillis. Breathtaking in the innocence and forbearance portrayed by both actors.

Absolutely a great scene. Not necessarily one of my favorite movies, but this scene was outstanding. Nicholson's lines give so much to think about. Over and over I have played that scene in my mind trying to decide what is right.

+1 for Nicholson. He can deliver lines like none other.

Another great Good/Bad/Ugly scene: (That movie is loaded)

Blondie (Eastwood) and Tuco (Wallich) under the bridge after the big civil war battle scene:
Blondie : "The name on the grave is... Arch Stanton"
Tuco: "A-A-Ach Stanton? Are you sure?"
Blondie "Yes I'm sure, very sure"

Last edited:
Car chase scenes in Bullet (I actually had a 68 Charger with a 440 some years ago) and The French Connection.

Last edited:
Peter Sellers in The Party (1968) where he loses his shoe in the fountain. Years ago my DW and I were truly laughing out loud!

The final scenes in the movie "Rudy" always get me. And the scene in "The Karate Kid" where the tournament announcer is shocked to learn, "Daniel Laruso's going to fight?"

The glow-in-the-dark condom scene in the 1989 movie "Skin Deep" was a hilarious piece of filmmaking by Blake Edwards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom