Best Space / Interstellar / Galactic flick?

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sooo, for those of us who don't believe in a flat earth...

What are your favorite space / galactic / interstellar movies/ shows / mini-series / flicks?

I know there are a lot, starting with original Star Wars, Star Trek, ST Enterprise, Mars. Apollo 13, A Space Odyssey, Alien, Avatar, Space Balls, Guardian of Galaxy etc.

I figure with all the 'Buzz' about the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing I might phone a friend and ask my favorite forum...

Which was/is your favorite and why? :cool:

Fun fact, I know an actress from the flick Farscape.

Mine are:
  • A Space Odyssey
  • Apollo 13
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • ET
  • Interstellar (fascinating)
  • Men In Black
Hon Mention: Arrival

Last edited:
My picks:
- Apollo 13
- Star Wars

- Galaxy Quest (okay, not much of a space movie, but I found it to be surprisingly entertaining)

As a youth, I liked Silent Running a lot, but I saw it again in my 20s and it was barely watchable. It didn't age well.

Extra credit for any assistance on this one: I have been trying to find the name of a movie or possibly an episode of Outer Limits I saw as a kid on TV. It was black and white, and as I recall it, the premise was that the US Government had made radio contact with an extraterrestrial civilization, and we were getting ready to meet them in person. Volunteers from among the US scientists had to be turned into beings like these extraterrestrials so they could survive on the distant planet. The characters seemed to be built up pretty well, and it was very bittersweet as they said goodbye to their families and were transmogified into these alien forms (which were a lot like horrible chicken things). As I recall, things then went very badly.

Favorite movie is 2001:A Space Odyssey. But only paired with reading the book. They were developed together and are meant to complement each other.

Favorite TV is the reboot of Battlestar Galactica. If you've only seen the 1970s version don't pooh-pooh the 2000s version.

Best space, etc flick?

Here's 3: Star Wars (not the one with JaJaBinx), Dune (with Sting), Battle Star Galactica (Syfy).

How many movies involve arguing phenomenology with an intelligent bomb?

Edit to add: or had a country-western song about relativity separating two lovers? Or that a road in Benson Arizona was named after the movie?

Dark Star

Last edited:
Extra credit for any assistance on this one: I have been trying to find the name of a movie or possibly an episode of Outer Limits I saw as a kid on TV. It was black and white, and as I recall it, the premise was that the US Government had made radio contact with an extraterrestrial civilization, and we were getting ready to meet them in person. Volunteers from among the US scientists had to be turned into beings like these extraterrestrials so they could survive on the distant planet. The characters seemed to be built up pretty well, and it was very bittersweet as they said goodbye to their families and were transmogified into these alien forms (which were a lot like horrible chicken things). As I recall, things then went very badly.

It may not be the answer, but episode 3 of season 1 of The Outer Limits titled “The Architects of Fear” had Robert Culp playing a scientist who was surgically altered into an alien creature.

What are your favorite space / galactic / interstellar movies/ shows / mini-series / flicks?

It would be hard for me to pick a favorite, I like just about anything space related. Star Wars and Star Trek are two obvious ones.

I also enjoyed Passengers, Enemy Mine, Armageddon, Independence Day, The Martian, and many others.

I actually liked the new Netflix series Lost in Space too.

Anyone remember "Salvage 1" back in the 70's? I'm sure it would seem corny now, but I liked it back then. I also liked the original Battlestar Galactica series in the late 70's (have not seen the newer series).

Another vote for Galaxy Quest.
Perhaps one of the best movie comedies ever and qualified as a Space flick.
Aliens also a favorite.

Space Cowboys.

Plausible premise (as movies go) with a Cold War connection, most of my favorite aged actors. And the good guys succeed[emoji2]

It would be hard for me to pick a favorite, I like just about anything space related. Star Wars and Star Trek are two obvious ones.

I also enjoyed Passengers, Enemy Mine, Armageddon, Independence Day, The Martian, and many others.

I actually liked the new Netflix series Lost in Space too.

Anyone remember "Salvage 1" back in the 70's? I'm sure it would seem corny now, but I liked it back then. I also liked the original Battlestar Galactica series in the late 70's (have not seen the newer series).

I hear ya. I love anything space related. Almost forgot about Independence Day.

Good choices everyone, a few I totally never heard of :)

I really like "Apollo 13", and "The Martian", and from my youth "Heavy Metal", and "Flash Gordon".

I like every movie listed so far. Here are a couple more.

The Day the Earth Stood Still. (the original version)
Forbidden Planet

It may not be the answer, but episode 3 of season 1 of The Outer Limits titled “The Architects of Fear” had Robert Culp playing a scientist who was surgically altered into an alien creature.

Synchronicity strikes again!

I watched that episode 2 weeks ago. I just picked a random classic Outer Limits and watched it.

I also watched the one with the shape-shifting alien (played by Martin Landau) that went back in time to earth to stop a biological catastrophe and save the human race.

Favorites:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Apollo 13
Stargate
The Right Stuff
Alien

Star Trek II (Khhhaaannnnn !!!) and the cheesiness of Ahnold on Mars (Total Recall).

and while not technically outer space, the movie Fire in the Sky did have aliens in it... (or did it ... :eek:))

How about Quark (TV, 1977) with Richard Benjamin? He was an intergalactic garbage hauler with a smart-aleck computer named S.T.E.L.L.A.

There was a show in the late 70s that aired on CBS that I cannot find anywhere. It was 30 minutes long and was comprised of three mini-shows. The show ran a vampire story then a commerical break then a cowboy story(?) then more commercials and finally a very cheesy sci-fi story. Does anyone remember the name of the show?

Stargate and all of the resulting TV spin-offs especially Atlantis. I read Andre Norton's books about a stargate while in college and always love these type of stories.

Back
Top Bottom